Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what would you. recommend? Pancolar,Planar,takumar or other.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: what would you. recommend? Pancolar,Planar,takumar or other. Reply with quote

Hello I want to buy a 50mm lens and want it to be sharp and contrasted around f2.2,I have owned a couple
off both the Pancolar and the Planar 50mm f1,7.One owe the Planars was great with outstanding clarity,and the
first and and most beaten upp Pancoler I had was great and probably the sharpest lens I ever owned,the two
mint samples I tried later was mediocre and not much better then the Pentacon,
What would you recommend around 50-55mm on a Canon aps-c that's really sharp att f2,2 ,nice blur is welcome too,

I will buy on ebay so the Pancolar and Planar ar a bit pricey this days but maybe worth It,or do you have some other
favorite to recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers since so many 50mm lenses are good.

I just compared seven of my 50mm-55mm lenses for bokeh quality in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/seven-different-lenses-compared-at-f-2-8-t68546.html#1412092

And found there is not really too much difference between them at f2.8

Wide open the best performer corner to corner is the Xenon 1.9/50, followed by the Yashinon 2/50. The surprise performer was the Petri 1.8/55 which was perfectly sharp in the center WO, but unfortunately rather soft in the corners until stopped down.

I've also used a (exakta) Pancolar 2/50 and find it to be a brilliant lens, but I don't use it for digital since it won't mount on my DSLR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with any 1.x 50mm from major brands: it's just a matter of taste and of how much value you give to that little extra sharpness or that particular bokeh or whatever.
Of all the ones I've had, the 1.7 planar was probably the sharpest, the rokkor 1.4 PG my favorite for color-character, the tak 1.8/55 best bang for buck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in love with my Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8, before that it was a Minolta Rokkor 50 1.4. But, as has been said, most of the major 50mm brands are very good, and the three you've mentioned are certainly up there with the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cheap and very sharp -Ricoh 50/2
There are some variants but they are basically the same.
Beats a lot of name brands wide open.
Beats the Pentax M and other 50/2, and the Takumar 50/1.8

Yes, the plastic body one from the 1980s.
Bokeh is a bit harsh maybe.
Prices are so low you may be able to get one free.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Ricoh 50mmf2 on a Pentax camera in a charity shop yesterday.they asked 35€ for it,....they had one Ricoh 50mm f1,7 to,
Do anyone know how the wide open sharpness is on Yashica ML 50mm f1.9 or ML 50mm f2. I like the idea of Helios likes swirls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open my Yashica ML 50mm f2 is softer in the center when compared to the Helios 44-2, but sharper in the corners.
Colors on the ML are much richer and more contrasty. Now I want to try the f1.9 to see if center sharpness is improved wide open.
Stopped down they are both tak sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica ML 50 1.7 is another of my favourite lenses, usually very cheap as well. It's a great lens for the money they sell for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the ML 1.7, like the 1.4 is much better built, very sharp but no swirlies.
I would rather save and buy the Planar.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 50 1.4 which are sharp enough at f2. Rokkor MC 50 PG and SMC Pentax M 50 1.4. The Pentax has not the yellowish colour of the Tak. Those lenses are well built and therefore are consistent.
I have different samples of Super takumar 55mm 1.8/2 . I like this lens but it is sharp from f2.8. F2 is a bit soft.

Be aware of sample variations with old lenses when listening to opinions. Especially standard lenses suffered of being mounted often.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very cheap and very sharp -Ricoh 50/2
There are some variants but they are basically the same.
Beats a lot of name brands wide open.
Beats the Pentax M and other 50/2, and the Takumar 50/1.8

Yes, the plastic body one from the 1980s.
Bokeh is a bit harsh maybe.
Prices are so low you may be able to get one free.

+1 on that - comes in PK mount only I think, but fabulously sharp and ridiculously cheap
Also the Rikenon 1.7/50 in M42 mount - exceptional lens
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore the Planar 50 1.8, but they aren't cheap, maybe the Singapore version is cheaper. If we're looking for mid range fastish - 50ish lenses, don't forget the lovely Olympus Zuiko 1.4, it's a great lens. Chinon 50 1.7 ? how cheap and good are they?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your recommendations and opinions.
Maybe I'll try a Ricoh lens or go with the Pentax A or M 50mm f1.4.
I like the Zeiss lenses but somehow it's fun
to play with cheap lenses that's punch over ther price.
I am glad you're understand my writing because I'm usually only read English

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check into the Pentax-M f1.4. I bought one a year ago, and it's my mainstay for covering events with a DSLR. I find it incredibly sharp, starting at about f2.0. It's even acceptable at f1.4 It's so far my sharpest normal lens, with my Olympus 50mm f1.8 Zuiko a close second. Pretty hard to get a bad 50, because camera companies just couldn't put them out and live. But the Pentax-M f1.4 is exceptional.

The following shot was taken at my niece's art show at the Two Rivers Art Gallery in Prince George. She is shown with her husband Dave, against one of her canvases.

Taken with a Pentax K10, 1/20th sec at f2.0. If you want to stick with a Canon lens, why not the el-cheapo 50mm f1.8 Autofocus? I have one. About 70 bucks and tack sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set my heart on Takumars, OM Olympus and Mamiya M42 lenses... Do not need anything sharper. Also my Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 is very sharp and has amazing color rendering. Mamiya is excellent with rendering of red colors, love it!
Also the OM Olympus line is excellent but I do not use them as there is just one adapter that fits my camera and it is Leitax. Have to wait until someone from China copy the design as they did with Leitax version for Nikon. But as you have mention that you have Canon you can use them and the adapter is very small. This is the best from Canon, the flange focal distance. Neither of those lenses will give you the swirly thing that Helios has but the bokeh is good on all of them.

Personally my best 50mm lens is the Canon FDn 50mm 1.4 Very Happy It has everything I need but again the conversion is very difficult and expensive and I do not use it anymore.

I forget my collection of Konica lenses and those where my favorites of all time when I used m4/3 camera.
IMHO those can stand against any other lenses on the market... Zeiss, Leica, etc... and they are not expensive. Look for 50mm 1.7 Wink
Too bad you can not used them on Canon, just m4/3 or any other mirrorless body (Sony, Fuji).

Just my 2c.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:

There is one, your fellow countryman, that does fantastic job with lens conversions... You might talk to him as he has great experience with MF lenses. See examples at his webpage:

http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/Lenses/Canon-FD-50mm-F14/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you. recommend? Pancolar,Planar,takumar or ot Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
Hello I want to buy a 50mm lens and want it to be sharp and contrasted around f2.2,I have owned a couple
off both the Pancolar and the Planar 50mm f1,7.One owe the Planars was great with outstanding clarity,and the
first and and most beaten upp Pancoler I had was great and probably the sharpest lens I ever owned,the two
mint samples I tried later was mediocre and not much better then the Pentacon,
What would you recommend around 50-55mm on a Canon aps-c that's really sharp att f2,2 ,nice blur is welcome too,

I will buy on ebay so the Pancolar and Planar ar a bit pricey this days but maybe worth It,or do you have some other
favorite to recommend.

MC Zenitar M2s Wink
Or Minolta MD 50/1.7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the minolta http://www.telltale.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC0251.jpg

and the zenitar http://www.telltale.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/DSC0047.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have forgotten the M2s I owned that one a couple years a go.....
Looks and feels like a toy but sharp as a knife Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheap plastic indeed Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Also the Rikenon 1.7/50 in M42 mount - exceptional lens
OH

+1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am waiting for some new lenses to play with. I bought a new in box Yashica ML 50mm f1.9 a Ricoh P 50mm f2 and a Hoya 28mm.
I have already gotten the Hoya and it looks to be sharp strait from 2.8 but flares like hell....... need a hood....

I will post some pictures and options when I have tried them out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not stop....bought some more 50mm lenses. Looking for THE lens.....

PANCOLAR MC 50MM F1.8
PENTAX M 50MM F1.4
SMC TAKUMAR 55MM F2
YASHICA ML 50MM F1.9
RICOH P 50MM F2

And waiting for a CHINON MC 50MM F1.7

All very god lenses and some off them I have owned and sold before
but wanted to try again. This is the 4 Pancolar I am trying and I still can't see anything special about that lens, it's god but so are many other lenses.
The Pentax lenses have a very nice feling and smooth focusing Optical wery god maybe boring god......
My favorite so far is the Yashica ML it's contrasty wide open with sometimes funny bokeh,as sharp as Pancolar and Ricoh.

This is my opinion but I am only photographing for fun and is not to serious
about it.......
I will return with some pictures when time is on my side....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:

The SMC Pentax "K" 50/1.4 is one of the sharpest lenses I have, there is no letter where the "M" is in your SMC Pentax M 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE, AUTO TOPCOR 1,8/58

I know, i know it's 58mm but ...