Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What would you prefer for a wedding: Leica M3 or Fuji GF670?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: What would you prefer for a wedding: Leica M3 or Fuji GF670? Reply with quote

This is a real dilemma,

I have a wedding on saturday to cover and the couple have asked for a mix of film and digital. I will use a Leica M9 for 95% of the wedding but will shoot a roll of film for them too.

I gave them the option of -

A) 35mm Leica M3 - 36exp film

or

B) 120 Fuji GF670 Pro folder - 6x6 format - 12 exposures

(A) gives more photos but i'm not sure 35mm colour film is sharp enough for wedding clients. (Kodak Portra 160 film) and using either Leica Summicron 50mm f2 v5 or Summilux ASPH 50mm f1.4. Available light only. UK Wedding.

(B) Less images but sharp and with off camera lights.

I'm swaying towards the GF670 mostly because it's autumn in the UK not California sunshine so I think I will want to use strobes.

To give you something to work with here is a link to a Leica M2 wedding I did. I was not blown away with the image sharpness/ punch.

http://mrleica.com/2014/07/08/leica-m2-wedding/

And here is a recent image from my Fuji GF 670 using the 6x6 format (always!)

https://flic.kr/p/pxgZQV (sorry code generator not working on FLickr tonight, to show as image)

It would be great to hear your thoughts?

Thanks
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 6x6 blows me away............. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medium format for quality and more chance of pop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the Fuji,no other reason than less is more sometimes...especially for a wedding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the rest, you are shooting with the M9 anyway, and the image quality of that fuji is something you really want from your wedding pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji for me too. I remember the photog at my wedding in 1971 using a Rollei - we only had about 20 shots in total to choose from for the
album so I guess he only used two rolls. But every one was a great picture! So I agree with Mo, less is definitely more for weddings.

In contrast, the photog at my son's wedding in 2009 took well over 1,000 shots throughout the day on his 5D. There were too many to
choose from and only about 12 were album quality anyway! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shoot two rolls of medium format. Smile btw I love your Flickr stream and pictures and have been following it for some time now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Medium format vs. Leica 35mm - 6:0 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like an overwhelming vote to shoot with the medium format Fuji GF670. I will do and will share the resulting images on the wedding blog when I get chance.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone. Smile I too follow you blog and flickr for a long time now and if I have to think of your wedding photos, it's the medium format film ones that first come to mind. I think with their colour, tones and depth they make a more lasting impression, at least with me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and just think:- the groom with a dark suit and the bride with a white dress, which can cope better...... film or digital Question

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
Just shoot two rolls of medium format. Smile btw I love your Flickr stream and pictures and have been following it for some time now

+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Film rocks Reply with quote

.. yes it does make you wonder why we even bother with digital!

I scanned some old B&W 35mm film negatives tonight and I sometimes forget how much I like the gritty look of 35mm black and white film developed in Rodinal. For this reason I am going to do the main wedding photos "money shots" in colour with the Fuji GF670 but then also take my Leica M3 loaded with some 35mm B&W film for some no pressure additional 35mm film photos if the oppotunity arises.

That's the plan! Smile

Here is a sample 35mm image to give you a taster! Smile https://flic.kr/p/pxXmBN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF670 colour + M3 B&W, that's a wise and winning choice.
Can't wait to see your results ! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be honest, you didn't want to carry the Fuji Razz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see the results.

I am an amateur whilst you are a pro shooting every day.

I have trouble switching formats. It takes me a while to start seeing in a particular format or angle of view (lens). So, unless I have one format (such as 35mm) I will use multiple cameras but with different lenses and both with the same film. Same with the 6x6, where I have 50mm and 150mm lenses on my bodies.

Why do they want film and digital? Is it because they want to reproduce their preferred digital shot in film? In which case, you will need a second shooter.

Your solution seems the best - M3 to reproduce your M9 views but in B&W film. And the GF670 for the outstanding MF viewpoint.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Fuji GF670 vs Leica M3 - Example images Reply with quote

sandokan wrote:
Would love to see the results.

I am an amateur whilst you are a pro shooting every day.

I have trouble switching formats. It takes me a while to start seeing in a particular format or angle of view (lens). So, unless I have one format (such as 35mm) I will use multiple cameras but with different lenses and both with the same film. Same with the 6x6, where I have 50mm and 150mm lenses on my bodies.

Why do they want film and digital? Is it because they want to reproduce their preferred digital shot in film? In which case, you will need a second shooter.

Your solution seems the best - M3 to reproduce your M9 views but in B&W film. And the GF670 for the outstanding MF viewpoint.

Thanks. You will soon get the hang of it. I live breath sleep photography so it is always on my mind so I guess stuff starts to get easier.

Film looks different to digital so some people like the idea of a few additional special film shots
Here are some samples. More on Flickr

GF670 - Fuji GF670 Wedding Portrait by MrLeica.com (MatthewOsbornePhotography), on Flickr

M3 - Leica M3 Wedding by MrLeica.com (MatthewOsbornePhotography), on Flickr

To seen better what each camera can do see these examples

GF670 - Fuji GF670 + Portra Portrait by MrLeica.com (MatthewOsbornePhotography), on Flickr

M3 - Kodak Ektar Colours - Portrait by MrLeica.com (MatthewOsbornePhotography), on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff, Matthew. Been following you for a while on Flickr. I'm usually not into the portraiture so much but yours has a nice spin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
Nice stuff, Matthew. Been following you for a while on Flickr. I'm usually not into the portraiture so much but yours has a nice spin.

Thanks Smile I try to keep improving and experimenting with different formats, films, lenses etc. Some exciting new stuff coming soon.. you'll see it on Flickr hopefully in a week or so..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward! One of these days I will get my stuff back (in transit from Asia) and actually develop some of the 30 or so rolls I have. 10 on me, 20 or so in the container. And, let's hope the scanner isn't damaged... Until then, my Flickr page will remain static, as it has since the Spring.