Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What version of 180mm Telemegor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: What version of 180mm Telemegor? Reply with quote

I know that there are two versions of Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 180 mm f/ 5.5 lens. One silver and one black. Have these two lenses the same optical formula? One of the reasons why I want to buy such a lens is also the "bubbles soap" bokeh.
With both versions can it get this bokeh?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more than two versions.

The last version, in Aluminum barrel, is available in bright alu and in black.

I had one of each and it seems to be the same lens.

There are older ones with different barrel designs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book by P. Fila and J. Szajta "Exakta - krótka historia doskonałości" (Exakta - a short story of perfection) there is a picture that shows 4 varieties of Telemegor 180mm f/5.5 - 2 black and 2 silver. Their size is basically the same so I believe that their optical formula is no different. Can't say anything about the bubbly bokeh though - the longest Meyer-Optik lenses I have are 135 mm Orestor and Primotar and only the Primotar provides nice bubbles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself shot my Telemegor 180 butterflies with "modern" (newer) silver version with M42 screw. Seen at least three types on ebay: black, silver and older silver (I think EXA, even more sexy construction). Which is probably still lower number than in case of Telemegor 150 and 400.

I'm rather still wondering about bokeh and artistic element of Telemegor 150 bokeh. Never seen quite a convincing well-made photos made with yet. The 1930s (cca) scarce EXA version was just sold for only €85 couple of days ago. Of course seller didn't pretty much knew what's holding in his hands.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I saw for sale a silver version with a black ring near the front of the lens. I am not yet decided whether to buy it or not.
I recently purchased a Primotar 135mm lens for the "bubble soap" bokeh. I am pleased with this lens for the bokeh that can be obtained even though it had a small mechanical defect at the preset aperture ring.
But I would like a larger focal length for this type of bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the version I purchased recently. I'm hoping to get Marek's bubbles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the excellent Marek's pictures, I ordered a Telemegor 180mm lens today.

Woodrim congratulations for your purchase and I also hope to get that wonderful bokeh with my future Telemegor lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
After seeing the excellent Marek's pictures, I ordered a Telemegor 180mm lens today.

Woodrim congratulations for your purchase and I also hope to get that wonderful bokeh with my future Telemegor lens.

Let's hope. I have a lingering doubt about a few of the pictures in Marek's thread. He had just finished talking about Trioplan when he posted the pictures, so I wonder if they are Trioplan. Marek: I know you answered that question in the thread, but it wasn't a confident answer.

The 3.5/135 and 3.5/180 Primotars also have similar bokeh characteristics. My 3.5/80 also, but less so. My 2.9/50 Trioplan has excellent bokeh circles. I have purchased a 3.5/75 Trioplan on a folding camera which I will remove and adapt; I'm hoping for good character from that lens too. But even with all these options, the 2.8/100 Trioplan remains king.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that none of these lenses, including Trioplan, will give the desired results unless used in the proper way. If you have not yet had experience trying to create the desired effects, it takes some practice and attention to subject and background. I have gotten some very bad bokeh from the Trioplan when the circumstances were not ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I received the Telemegor lens. It was not alone, it arrived together with Lydith lens. Smile

The Telemegor is silver version with a black ring on the front that is written:

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz 1216546 Telemegor 1: 5.5 / 180 V (V is written in red).

The lens has 233 grams (with front / rear caps).

I have a few questions about Telemegor.
Is it the 1952 version?
I read on the internet that the filter diameter is 49mm, but my lens has a diameter much smaller, I think it's 39mm. Is this value, 39mm correct?
This lens has a single ring to adjust the aperture. This ring can only rotate between 5.5 and 22, I can not push it forward or back. I can not preset a certain aperture value. Is this normal for this lens or something is broken??

I bought the lens in condition "as new". I have 3 days to return the lens if I am not satisfied. I like the lens but I'm worried that I can not preset the aperture value. Question

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few lenses that do not have the dual function selector ring. I too prefer the pre-set stop, but do not find it very troublesome because most of these special effect lenses will be used wide open. I do not yet know how my black version works, nor do I know the filter thread. I expect it to be small.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a picture of your Telemegor.
Best way to ID it.

Also agree re preset aperture - not a big deal with Telemegors.
For most of its use case you want to use it wide open anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial number is in the right range for 1952

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably this version:
http://photobutmore.de/exakta/meyer/telemegor1801203272.jpg
It seems to be a bit slender than the later Telemegors so you may be right about that filter diameter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I would have preferred the 49mm filter diameter version, because I still have a few lenses with this diameter.

I do not know that there is no possibility of aperture preset for preset lenses. Wink I bought my first M42 lens just this fall. Telemegor is the fifth M42. The all other M42 lenses that I have, they have separate preset aperture ring, so I was surprised that Telemegor is without a preset ring.

The following photos are posted by the seller before buying the lens:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yours is an older version.
Not a preset lens, a manual one.

There are preset lenses without two rings. They have other mechanisms.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.
I am pleased with this lens ... after the first day. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:

I read on the internet that the filter diameter is 49mm, but my lens has a diameter much smaller, I think it's 39mm. Is this value, 39mm correct?

Pre-war Telemegors have a similar lens body so the filter diameter on yours could be 40,5mm. Shortly after the war Meyer-Optik might have used older lens bodies/designs for production.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the lens hood and I measured the diameter with a calipers (I know it's not a precise measurement).
The inner front thread diameter of the hood is about 38.18mm and the outer rear thread diameter is about 40.18mm.
Confused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
I have removed the lens hood and I measured the diameter with a calipers (I know it's not a precise measurement).
The inner front thread diameter of the hood is about 38.18mm and the outer rear thread diameter is about 40.18mm.
Confused

My post war primoplan 58(mini version) use some kind of ~M40x0.5 threads. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus, calvin, you are right. I hardly found a store in my area where I found a lens with a 40.5mm front cap. It matched very well with my Telemegor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another version, I got this one, bit different from what i see on the web, this is the colsest one i found, but notice the different focusing scale (70 on mine insted of 60):
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/meyer-grlitz-objektiv-telemegor-5-5-150-15-5-f-15cm-fur-kine-exa-kine-exakta/171212380339?hash=item27dd0d98b3

anyhow, after a CLA the lens looks very nice (no steel wool this time, only polishing paste for chrome, since the lens is made mostly of brass):

but at the rear in what seems to be a block of two lenses it has this:

is this fungus? Here on the pic it look much much worse that what it is in reality, as it looks like a very faint haze. I think the block could be opened, but the retaining ring has no notches, only the rim has a "grip":

Last edited by tomasg on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beautiful lens. Doesn't look like fungus to me. Still, I would be concerned that it damaged the glass.

I'm a big Meyer fan and have many of them. This lens I have too, but cannot warm up to it. Anyone out there actually like this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
That's a beautiful lens. Doesn't look like fungus to me. Still, I would be concerned that it damaged the glass.

I'm a big Meyer fan and have many of them. This lens I have too, but cannot warm up to it. Anyone out there actually like this lens?

I got it for a very good price, mostly because i am building a small collection of "sliver" lenses, but this Mareks gallery shows the lens has potential:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125619333@N08/albums/72157646006455367

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
woodrim wrote:

I got it for a very good price, mostly because i am building a small collection of "sliver" lenses, but this Mareks gallery shows the lens has potential:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125619333@N08/albums/72157646006455367

Unless he got it sorted out, there was some uncertainty as to which lens he used for some of his butterfly shots. I had questioned whether they were from Telemegor.

I'll admit I haven't given the lens much of a shot, but have been disappointed with what I've been able to accomplish with it. I have pretty much the same experience with the 150mm. On the other hand, I've enjoyed the Primotars. The lens speed may have a lot to do with it.