Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to do with my first captured film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: What to do with my first captured film? Reply with quote

Dear all,
I have just finished shooting my first color film and is ready to decide what I can do.

In the old times (15 years ago) I would take it on my closest photo store and take prints.

1. If I understand it right today I can ask them to get back the negatives plus the fotos on a cd without having any print
2. Is it possible that I can also get the scanned negatives and perhaps process those negatives as the raw files?
3. Is there any other option for those not having dark room and would allow more control in post processing software?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply
Regards
A

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with my first captured film? Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
2. Is it possible that I can also get the scanned negatives and perhaps process those negatives as the raw files

Question

what they do?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Is it possible that I can also get the scanned negatives and perhaps process those negatives the same way I process raw files (in the sense to have more control)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

sorry, still don't understand

what do you get from them?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe in Germany, you can do the same as what we do in the UK when trying something for the first time.....We buy Agfa Vista film for £1, then take it to a supermarket and they will develop and scan to a CD in JPG files for £3 while you shop. You can then adjust the JPG files in say Photoshop if needed, also depending on the care of the operator you might have to touch up some dust spots.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with my first captured film? Reply with quote

alaios wrote:

In the old times (15 years ago) I would take it on my closest photo store and take prints.

1. If I understand it right today I can ask them to get back the negatives plus the fotos on a cd without having any print

That is true, I do it all the time then make better scans as the supermarket ones are pretty low resolution. Family photos I get printed. Sometimes the scans from the prints can be better than the neg scans. Ask for glossy, the print quality is finer and isn't broken up by the surface texture of matt paper

alaios wrote:
2. Is it possible that I can also get the scanned negatives and perhaps process those negatives as the raw files?

I don't know if anyone scans negs as RAW files. You will have to be content with a high quality jpg if it were available

alaios wrote:
3. Is there any other option for those not having dark room and would allow more control in post processing software?

You don't really need a darkroom if you are using a lab to develop and scan. Photoshop or Gimp are fine pieces of software and will do almost anything you want. Lots of tutorials are available online for both of them.

alaios wrote:
I would like to thank you in advance for your reply
Regards
A

You're welcome Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, now I understand

I think you could invest to some negative scanner.

Depending where you live used ones are very cheap. I think from 10€ up, new ones are under 100€ anyways.
Just check that you get the scanning software too, because reversing colours and removing orange is painful with gimp.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time they wanted about 1 euro for c-41 plus you had to take one print in 9x13 I think, adds up to about 3 bucks, you'll get the negative strips stuffed without further ado in front of the prints. Doesn't matter much where you drop them, they seem to be all CW resellers, or in exceptional cases Eurocolor/Fuji Gera)

Never tried CD, they wanted extra monies, they scan them anyway in order to "optimize" the prints (if you shoot at night adjusted to dark frame -3.0, you will get optimized fog soup at +0.0 - don't want that, shoot E6).

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, I wouldn't mess with the shop scan

Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
thanks I might be able to buy something in the future but your proposal is very bulky for my small desk I have..

Something smaller might do easily

A.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy that myself but I think the p&p would too much? Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p&p
means?

point and paste?
post process?
paint a pentaprism?
present philosophy?

A.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post and packaging (though I do like the idea of painting a pentaprism).

Last edited by skida on Fri May 02, 2014 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet is to get the film developed and scanned to CD for this first try-out, to see how you have done and whether you want to persevere. As you try more films you can get a better idea of how far you want to go with scanning and processing the results.

For posting on the internet, the supermarket/lab scans give enough resolution, and I have successfully printed them at A4 size.