Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What should I do with this faulty lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: What should I do with this faulty lens? Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I use a Sony A7III and just bought a Contax-Zeiss 100-300 from a Japanese seller. (I am in Germany.)

Now I have a problem: Cosmetically very good, lenses all clear. All the seller told about the lens in his Ebay description is true.

BUT:
1) It has significant field tilt, especially at the 100mm end. The right side is focused more in the direction of the camera, the left side is more focused in the direction of infinity. The tilt is more pronounced when the focus point is farther away from me.

On this image it can be clearly seen (I focused on the building in the middle):

2) The zoom mechanism is VERY sticky between 200 and 300mm.

Is it possible to repair these issues somewhere? Especially the tilt?? I read that it is difficult to find a really good copy, so it would be OK for me to pay the repair instead of trying multiple other copies...

Or would you say that I should return the lens? Paid 649,90 USD plus 60 USD shipping for it, so not exactly a bargain...

Thanks in advance,
Hasenbein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the left side of the image is in focus than the right side.

I would definitely return the item because the exact origin and severity of the problem will probably be visible only after opening up the lens, in which case you probably cannot return the item. A sticky zoom mechanism sounds like something that can be repaired, unless the cause is some kind of friction caused by damaged parts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you measured the adapter ? A deal with the seller would be the best, to pay for a cla in Europe, probably splitting costs in half ,. The tilting faut might be a QC just like in any other lens, including new ones ,except these are guaranteed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really problematic. Try to find a serious lens repair facility in Germany and ask the seller for refund of the repair cost. If the seller doesn't agree then return the lens. Bottom line: You will loose at least all shipping cost. Did you pay Tax/Duty as well?

I know that this is too late now, but exactly based on such similar experiences I refuse to buy other than very cheap lenses from outside EU. It's better to pay sometimes the higher price here in Europe compared to possible troubles like you are facing now.

My last unlucky experience was that the seller gave me some refund and the lens ended in the trash bucket. It's always like a little lottery when buying used lenses without prior testing, particularly from private sources.

My prime sources nowadays are second hand camera shops here in Austria. Quite often the prices are lower than on Ebay AND guarantee is included.

Good luck!

Pleas keep us informed about the outcome......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm something is decentered. Lens may have taken a hit. For that price I would make an issue out of it. Japanese sellers are known for skirting problems. They won't outright lie, they will just omit. The stiff zoom should have been mentioned even if they did not test the lens for decentering.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would return it.
Fixing a zoom is very difficult.
Unless you already have a trusted source that has repaired zoom's to your satisfaction in the past then you run the risk of the lens being just as bad when you get it back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this faulty lens? Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:
Hello guys,

I use a Sony A7III and just bought a Contax-Zeiss 100-300 from a Japanese seller. (I am in Germany.)

Now I have a problem: Cosmetically very good, lenses all clear. All the seller told about the lens in his Ebay description is true.

BUT:
1) It has significant field tilt, especially at the 100mm end. The right side is focused more in the direction of the camera, the left side is more focused in the direction of infinity. The tilt is more pronounced when the focus point is farther away from me.

On this image it can be clearly seen (I focused on the building in the middle):

2) The zoom mechanism is VERY sticky between 200 and 300mm.

Is it possible to repair these issues somewhere? Especially the tilt?? I read that it is difficult to find a really good copy, so it would be OK for me to pay the repair instead of trying multiple other copies...

Or would you say that I should return the lens? Paid 649,90 USD plus 60 USD shipping for it, so not exactly a bargain...

Thanks in advance,
Hasenbein

You might try to obtain at least a a partial refund, but only after having obtained a cost evaluation by repairer near to you.

Given the costs of specialized work in Europe I would try first to return it, though.

Fact is that such a lens might be known in depth only by a handful of people, so you might also end up with a badly made repair that couldn't solve much.

If there is a damage to the mechanism, as there appears to be, there could be a scarcity of spare parts, or even a total lack of them.

Too many wild cards for my taste, as long as you can't find a repairer with a good pedigree in Zeiss repair I would send it back

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Germany has a list of repair services for "Altobjektive" But you have to ask them for it: https://www.zeiss.de/consumer-products/service/reparaturen/fotoobjektive/reparatur-ohne-garantiefall.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your numerous suggestions!

I will send the lens back. Not worth the hassle. Better to lose the shipping cost and the EU customs duty (which is astonishingly high...) than to try a repair and then perhaps losing all the money.

Best wishes,
Hasenbein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Netherlands you can get back paid import duties by making an objection and supplying proof of export to customs, incase you return an item.