Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lens did I buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: What lens did I buy? Reply with quote

Hi,

A new user here. This was the only site which had some information about the lens I bought from the great auction site. It is a Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Primotar 85mm f3.5. It comes with 15 blades, all of them oily and an Exakta mount.

While I wait for my Exakta adapter to come by, any information you can give me about this lens? Something I find odd, is the bottom half of the lens, it looks like it was added on later. Any thoughts?

Pictures in the next post, since I read that the first post cannot have pictures.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What lens did I buy? Reply with quote

Thanks for looking at the pictures and helping.
Here they are:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough about Meyer lenses to give you details but that lens has definitely been modified to the Exacta mount. Meyer was an old, respected German lens manufacturer and definitely didn't produce their lenses in Hollywood, CA U.S.A. as the mount ring proclaims.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/any-idea-about-this-meyer-primotar-85-3-5-t66216.html
I have a Primotar 50mm 3.5 preset in M42 mount, once standard lens for Praktica, 4 elements, three groups.
Yours was possibly made for 6x6 Praktisix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
You might have a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/any-idea-about-this-meyer-primotar-85-3-5-t66216.html
I have a Primotar 50mm 3.5 preset in M42 mount, once standard lens for Praktica, 4 elements, three groups.
Yours was possibly made for 6x6 Praktisix

Thanks. That's the post that I read initially, before creating my own. I wonder how the lens renders (since I don't have an adapter yet)? Hope it has interesting character. Should I be worried about the oil on the blades?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie46 wrote:
Spotted!

Not sure I understand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenslove wrote:
Should I be worried about the oil on the blades?

Oil on the blades can may be cause a bit of internal reflection, but it will not disturb working of the aperture in a preset lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the primotar 50mm 3.5 in Zebra (tuly a lovely piece of industrial art!) it takes fine photos! I predict you will have excellent results from this gem. I personally would be very tempted to remove the aftermarket adapter to see what the manufacturer mount is. It might be m42. (Just speculating!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil should not caus a problem unless, it starts to get onto the lens elements, or if the oil gets thick and hard to move the aperture, forcing the aperture could cause the blades to buckle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenslove wrote:
Eddie46 wrote:
Spotted!

Not sure I understand.

Should have said "Well spotted",was referring to Newst' prior post re, California.