Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What kind of M42 is this and how can I use it with my EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: What kind of M42 is this and how can I use it with my EOS Reply with quote

Hello,

can someone tell me what kind of "Noses" on this M42 mount this is:

I own a Takumar 55mm 1,8 with this kind of M42 mount. I had trouble to use it with my M42 to EOS adapter so I cut it off these noses. No problem with such kind of cheap lens but it is a problem if I want to buy a rare expensive Tamkumar lens, I would decrease the value of the lens with this method.

Has someone a tip how I can use this kind of Mount with my EOS mount camera without this cutting?

cheers guido aka belba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guido. Arrrrrgh, sacrilege!!!!! You cut them off????????? Very Happy Very Happy

This lens is designed for Spotmatic F or ES cameras and the "noses" are these camera's way of allowing full-aperture metering. Some M42/EOS adapters with the flange for the push pin will not allow the lens to sit properly so infinity focus is not possible.

Seriously, it's not a good idea to cut off the noses as you lose all value in the lens. Much better to buy a different adapter that will work. You have two options, either use an adapter without the flange and use the Auto-Manual switch, or find an adapter that fits the lenses. I have a black AF-chipped adapter which has a slightly larger opening so the longer "nose" passes through. The shorter nose is not a problem. I bought the adapter from happypagehk, but it looks like he's not selling any at present. Maybe you could mail him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Guido. Arrrrrgh, sacrilege!!!!! You cut them off????????? Very Happy Very Happy

LOL.... but the sacrilege was not too big. I got the lens (not this on the photo, instead a Takumar 55mm f1,8 ) with two faults. A ring in the front was loose and the pasted focus-scale was loose. So I got this lens for few euros. And the repair of the faults was easy. But you have right, if I decide to buy this Click here to see on Ebay
it would be a a real big sacrilege if I make it fit on the same way for my adpater Wink

cheers guido aka belba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lens! Good luck with your auction Guido.

Here is a pic of the S-M-C lens fitted on the adapter with no flange as the first option above. The noses and the pin are clear. Of course, the lens won't stop down unless you use the A-M switch.

This one is of my black adapter as option 2. The pin is pressed but the opening in the adapter is just big enough to let the long nose go through.

BTW, I noticed that the rear lens of the Tak 2/35 projects beyond the thread mount like it does on the 1.4/50. I had a problem using this lens with the old adapter like yours as the opening is not big enough to let the lens pass through. The black adapter is OK.