Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Kind of Cement for Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: What Kind of Cement for Lens? Reply with quote

The front element of my Minolta A-1 digicam fell out. I see that it rests in depression , and that there is some "old" glue in there. So, I would like to cement the lens in there again.

What is the best cement to use? Anything I should watch out for? Thank you in advance!

Best, Laurence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an optical cement that completely dries. You don't want normal glue as it may hold water parts and may become a starting platform for fungus.
I really do not know where to find optical cement, of course ens repairers must have it but otherwise I don't know where you could find it.
If your search for optical cement fails, try Sylicone. I think it should be the next best thing, as it's waterproof. But be careful when placing because Sylicone tends to spread a lof and if it goes over your lens, then you can quietly (?) just trash your lens. Shocked

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
You need an optical cement that completely dries. You don't want normal glue as it may hold water parts and may become a starting platform for fungus.
I really do not know where to find optical cement, of course ens repairers must have it but otherwise I don't know where you could find it.
If your search for optical cement fails, try Sylicone. I think it should be the next best thing, as it's waterproof. But be careful when placing because Sylicone tends to spread a lof and if it goes over your lens, then you can quietly (?) just trash your lens. Shocked

-

Orio, thank you. I contacted Hayward Camera Repair today, and they suggested either optical cement or silicone, and indicated that they use both, depending on the type of repair. They suggested I use a toothpick and go VERY light and easy on the amount, just barely coating the surfaces that will touch the depression that the lens rests in. They indicated that it does NOT take too much at all, and to be careful.

So...wish me luck!

Orio wrote: if it goes over your lens, then you can quietly (?) just trash your lens. Shocked

No, I would place the camera on the 20-yard-line on the football field and kick a field goal. Cool

(If I somehow foul it up....well, guess I'll just have to get a Canon or Pentax DSLR body...after all, I MUST have a digital SLR in order to test my lenses. Laughing )