Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is tonality?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: What is tonality? Reply with quote

Hi can someone help me to understand the notion of color tonality?
Is not tonality somehow connected to the graduation a color can have (so at the end the total number of colors the medium analog or digital)?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is.

But it is way more complicated than that: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/gamma-correction.htm

Wealth of information at http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have number of colours in 'analog' i.e film it is infinitely gradual (grain will play a part) not broken down into chunks like digital.

If you want to learn this type of thing you must get books on the subject or search the internet better. There are no short answers to many of your questions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
you dont have number of colours in 'analog' i.e film it is infinitely gradual (grain will play a part) not broken down into chunks like digital.

There is the number of colors, infinite, with film, yes -- although that too is arguable...

philslizzy wrote:
If you want to learn this type of thing you must get books on the subject or search the internet better. There are no short answers to many of your questions.

Or ask for pointers in a friendly forum. Wink

The information and tutorials at CIC is a really good place to start these sort of inquiries; for good foundation knowledge-building...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm interesting answer about infinite colours for film in that how would you see them Question Surely a print or computer monitor is limited to so many colours, maybe slide film projected on a screen would be better, but not sure if slide film is better than neg. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you should get infinite colours with film, digital images are broken down into little chunks each a different colour like a paint swatch. All things being perfect film has infinite colours except that grain and other variables can mess with it.

Of course Alex, look to this site for info, there are a lot of very knowledgeable guys, as I said many of your questions have no short answers, and often there is a difference of opinion which can be confusing.

Have you developed your first film yet?

Visualopsins, what is CIC? Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Community Interest Company etc...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for the answers. I really like what I have learned here.

No I have not developed my first film yet. When developer arrived I was for family vacations and later on I went for business trip.
NOw I have all the materials sorted the way I need them and I will post back to the original post once I would made it.

I try to keep a (very) positive attitude on this and do not feel discouraged that I am going too slow, as life really does not give more
than 30 minutes free time per week.

So far I have been able to
-organize my digital photos through lightroom
-buy scanner with negative holder (did not try it yet though)
-transparencies to hold the negatives so I can start organizing those that I have
-I have learned lightroom to some extent
-I have a great fun shooting film and I have shot 20+ rolls the last months that now wait to be developed.
-In the mean time, during my train rides, I read my reflected litght meter and try to see how I can use it and finally
- I read books about compositions and I keep dreaming

life could not be better I guess

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Visualopsins, what is CIC? Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Community Interest Company etc...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm