Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is this spot?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: What is this spot? Reply with quote

I recently acquired this lens that looks pretty dusty. With my eyes I can see a spot but couldn't figure out what it is. I read that fungus could be round and doesn't always have to branch out. So I took some pictures with a macro lens.

What is this spot?

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to see (and hard to say for sure), but this looks like the edge blackening of the lens may have become detached there.

If so, I very much doubt you will ever notice this in any images.

Google "Schneideritis", but don't be alarmed; with only a couple of spots here and there the problem is more cosmetic than that it really affects lens performance. If the problem is more wide-spread, you may see a loss of contrast & more flare.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. From the pictures I have taken it does look to be Schneideritis. There is only a single spot of it. It has no impact on image quality that I can tell. This lens is blistering sharp and very contrasty. It may have just beaten my previous sharpest lens.

I was hoping it wasn't fungus so I wouldn't have to take it apart as I figure I can only make this particular lens perform worse if I do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
. . . This lens is blistering sharp and very contrasty. It may have just beaten my previous sharpest lens. . .

Tell us more, please? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
cbass wrote:
. . . This lens is blistering sharp and very contrasty. It may have just beaten my previous sharpest lens. . .

Tell us more, please? Smile

It's nothing exotic. Also this one is pretty dusty.
Topcor 58/3.5 macro. The one which is just the optics and you need a variable extension tube or bellows to use.
Xenotar optical design which is known for high resolution.
Very similar if not exactly the same as Micro Nikkor 55/3.5

It has limits. It's good for close and mid distances. It does ok at infinity but will not be a top performer at infinity.

This is my second copy and I think it's slightly sharper than my first copy, but I would have to do a controlled test.

Sample picture from 16MP APS-C Fuji with lens mounted on Lens Turbo II speed booster. ISO 2000.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

It's nothing exotic. Also this one is pretty dusty.
Topcor 58/3.5 macro. . .

Thank you!