Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the BEST* / your favourite Rangefinder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bessa R3A and my summicron 50mm are my best and prefered camera and lens.
but i have also two konica IIIA & M, which are very good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gilles, My R3A currently has a stuck shutter but I might get it repaired for the winter for some flash film photography. I prefer my M2 for available light portraits but the Voigtlander wins hands down if using strobes. I got the GF670 in the end but have not developed any film yet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14109029290968&key=92032646c408dc8acd4a4810d5488130&libId=7365b1be-f5c6-4ccb-837d-c3f40f97aed9&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.talkphotography.co.uk%2Fthreads%2Fgot-a-spare-%25C2%25A33100.559680%2F%23post-6477466&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amateurphotographer.co.uk%2Fphoto-news%2Fleica-ditches-digital-launch-3k-film-camera-tribute-past-34004&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.talkphotography.co.uk%2Fforums%2Ftalk-film-conventional.56%2F&title=Got%20a%20spare%20%C2%A33100%3F%20%7C%20Talk%20Photography&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amateurphotographer.co.u...ital-launch-3k-film-camera-tribute-past-34004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Leica M-A vs. Leica M2 Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing link. It looks nice and all and bit pat on the back to Leica for continuing to back film but I am wondering how it would differ from my M2.

I have a wedding photo on the Kodak Photokina stand shot with my M9. Wanted to attend but already busy. Next year!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Zeiss Ikon ZM. I love it, but thrice now the finder has become a little skewed. It's livable now so I can't really justify the $100 or so to fix it. It's a beautiful camera though and I'm glad I use it.

Quote:
but I am wondering how it would differ from my M2.

Agreed. The M3 is touted as a camera that might simply last for ever as it's all mechanical. I guess they're aiming for people that don't like the used market.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Leica M3 - My favourite 35mm rangefinder ;) Reply with quote

Quote:
but I am wondering how it would differ from my M2.

Agreed. The M3 is touted as a camera that might simply last for ever as it's all mechanical. I guess they're aiming for people that don't like the used market.[/quote]

I now have an M3 too and it is perhaps my favourite camera to use. Beautifully made and better viewfinder than the M2, M8, M9 (brighter and more magnified)

Here is a recent sample with my M3 Smile

Kodak Portra Analogue Fashion by MrLeica.com (MatthewOsbornePhotography), on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use to meter with such a camera? There are a handful of older cameras that look really interesting but in terms of practicality, they are hard to justify as I really need aperture priority mode. I mainly shoot candid on the street these days. Sunny 16 works up to a point, but when it's overcast, or (far more likely) shadows from buildings/railroads or whatever get in the way, I gotta throw all that out the door. I have been tempted to take a test roll out in full manual and see how well it goes. Changing shutter speed is nowhere near as quick as aperture though, and the aperture I usually need relatively constant.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Seeing the light - metering the light with old film cameras Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
What do you use to meter with such a camera? There are a handful of older cameras that look really interesting but in terms of practicality, they are hard to justify as I really need aperture priority mode. I mainly shoot candid on the street these days. Sunny 16 works up to a point, but when it's overcast, or (far more likely) shadows from buildings/railroads or whatever get in the way, I gotta throw all that out the door. I have been tempted to take a test roll out in full manual and see how well it goes. Changing shutter speed is nowhere near as quick as aperture though, and the aperture I usually need relatively constant.

I meter at the start of a shoot (Sekonic light meter or test shot with M9). I dial in the correct exposure then don't meter again. If the model turns into the sun (say) and you metered their face our of direct sun I would dial in -1 expsore (ie. increase shutter as I like to shoot wide open). If back to the sun and face falls into shadow do +1. Film has such broad lattitude it is very forgiving and I can't remember any recent lost images from too bright/ too dark. As a rule with film shoot brighter to be safe (and to retain shadow detail).

People say overexpose film but that is when you meter mid tones (say under the chin). If you meter the highlights like me then box speed is fine.

Here is me shooting into the sun and exposed for the face
Rollei SL66E Tilt Portrait - Bokeh Love! by MrLeica.com (MatthewOsbornePhotography), on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice -- is that a film shot? I figure on most days most shots are between 2-3 stops, so in theory it shouldn't be much more work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a tighter budget, the Kodak Retina IIIC (or the IIIc, even cheaper) is a very nice RFcam!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
Nice -- is that a film shot? I figure on most days most shots are between 2-3 stops, so in theory it shouldn't be much more work.

Yes and yes Wink - Rolleiflex SL66E + Fuji Pro 400H

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Kodak Medalist II.
Also Graflex XL with Rodenstock lenses set, started to use and love it just before the film era collapsed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
On a tighter budget, the Kodak Retina IIIC (or the IIIc, even cheaper) is a very nice RFcam!

Great cameras, difficult to repair, if something falling wrong. All lenses from this system are employed on my Digital Canons. Fantastic glass, can bit a most of expensive today optic!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew : I see your photos on Flickr all the time !!
Well I have several 'Rangefinder cameras' now-- 35mm and medium format but no particular 'favourite' -- maybe the AGFA Isolette III in Medium Format. Here are few samples --

1934 LEICA II + 1936 50mm f2 Summar, outdated Truprint 200 film, 1/500th second used
Leica 1934 11 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Cebu Images Camera Club, 1960's Zeiss CONTINA, flash, outdated Ilford FP4+
Images Club by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Russian FED 4 + 53 mm f2.8 Industar lens, outdated Fuji Provia film
Severn Valley Loco by pentaxpete, on Flickr
1956 AGFA Isolette III + 75mm f3.5 Solinar lens, flash, f11, 2007 outdated Ilford XP" super film
SVR 02 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Mamiya Press Super 23 bought 1968, 150mm f5.6 Sekor lens, Kodak Tri-X, available light, swing back used
Scheimpflug by pentaxpete, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
Matthew : I see your photos on Flickr all the time !!
Well I have several 'Rangefinder cameras' now-- 35mm and medium format but no particular 'favourite' -- maybe the AGFA Isolette III in Medium Format. Here are few samples --

Nice photos! Does the Isolette III have a coupled rangefinder?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pentaxpete"]Matthew : I see your photos on Flickr all the time !!

Nice Photos Pete. The last 2 MF shots are super sharp Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava: the Isolette rangefinder is not 'coupled' -- you read off the distance ( in meters ) focused upon and set the distance on the lens scale. So you can always 'Guess' the distance and set the lens scale if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
uddhava: the Isolette rangefinder is not 'coupled' -- you read off the distance ( in meters ) focused upon and set the distance on the lens scale. So you can always 'Guess' the distance and set the lens scale if you want.

Thank you. Wonderful, sharp looking photo with the Isolette III, so it seems work well. I have the Isolette II.
I took some photos with it and they would have been good, but the film was old and partially disintegrated during
developing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have also two konica IIIA & M, which are very good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly an amateur my rangefinder is just for fun, history,continuity and just a delight to play with -
Silver/ tan Contax II plus my hybrid 1936 Contax II with 1957 Kiev 4 top-late, meter and controls both built for me by ex-Arsenal techs.
Awkward, dated, but just a joy to use and hold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two choices for different formats:

Olympus 35SP

Fujica B690GL + Fujinon 100/3.5AE + Auto Up- close up lens

Texsport

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two RF cameras, both fixed lens. A Balda Super Matic and a Yashica Campus. My favourite is the Balda, as I love how the Schneider Xenar lens renders.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me as well, my favorite rangefinder is a medium format camera. I've never used the Mamiya or Fuji, so I can't comment on them. I'm sure they're fine cameras. But of the cameras I've owned, my favorite is the Zeiss Super Ikonta B with the Zeiss-Opton Tessar lens in a Synchro Compur Shutter. Sadly, I sold it during a time of too much gear and not enough money. I try to avoid those situations anymore these days.

I called the Super Ikonda B my "pocket Hasselblad" because, when folded, I could drop it into a jacket pocket and also because its images were always outstanding.

Both images taken circa 1990, Zeiss Super Ikonta B, Fujichrome 100

Last edited by cooltouch on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera is wonderful, I have one. Beautiful images, thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Super Ikonta to own, by the way, is one of the later model ones -- the ones with the Synchro Compur shutter. Reasons are mostly two: first, these later cameras have coated lenses. Many/most of the earlier ones don't. And perhaps even more importantly, the Syncro Compur shutter has a contact for X-sync. The earlier Compur Rapid shutter has a bulb contact only. For me, X-sync is even more important than having a coated lens, but I consider both to be very strong reasons for choosing the models with the Synchro Compur over the earlier Compur Rapid.

It's worth noting that all three of the early Super Ikontas -- the A, B, and C -- had later versions with the Synchro Compur shutter. As did the later III and IV versions, of course. And it's also worth noting that this shutter was not restricted to the Super Ikontas. I own a plain Zeiss Ikonta -- no rangefinder, so it uses range focusing -- but it has a Synchro Compur shutter with the Tessar lens. A surprisingly good camera.