Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is my camera / lens worth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: What is my camera / lens worth? Reply with quote

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2016/02/what-is-my-camera-worth/

Opinions on that? (I hold mine back for a while, as I disagree with the author in a few points..)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skimmed through it. Didn't see anything major to disagree with. Most old cameras aren't worth much. Rare does not equal money. Most ebay sellers have no idea what they're looking at or what it is worth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarise the article :

1. If your dad or granfather , who gave you camera\lens , used to have professional photos or\and professoional photo tools - use ebay to find the value of the stuff, you inherited.
2. If there are no photos in family archive - just sell all this garbage by 1$ a piece.

In my childhood , any family who had a camera of the Zenith level or higer , - always had a lot of stuff for development,post-processing and printing. Going with the film to the lab was extremely costly that days, so all such people kept all chemicals and tools at home and did development, post production and printing in the kitchen or bath .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In order to use eBay for a realistic appraisal of your item, you must check the “Sold listings”"

You give a fair appraisal of the sold listings. Personally, I ignore the "Buy it now" sales and just look at the items sold competitively, at auction, for an idea of price. This price of course, can then be used as a guide for purchasing on "Buy it now". Although none of it is an exact science, and nor does purely looking at price guarantee value for money, or good service.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure a fancy writeup boosts the selling price. A nice presentation wouldn't convince me to spend an extra dollar over a low effort listing.

Admittedly I'm buying stuff to shoot not to collect. I wonder what the ratio of shooters/collectors is?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......i can't see the page!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Not sure a fancy writeup boosts the selling price. A nice presentation wouldn't convince me to spend an extra dollar over a low effort listing.

Admittedly I'm buying stuff to shoot not to collect. I wonder what the ratio of shooters/collectors is?

It does make a difference, sometimes a huge one. I've picked up plenty of lenses for a fraction of their usual value by bidding on auctions with poor photos or poor descriptions. I recently picked up several rare old exakta lenses listed as a lot (the lot included an ISCO Westrogon, and the whole lot, cameras, lenses, accessories, ended up costing about the worth of just that single lens) for a very good price because (in my opinion) the photos were not particularly good, and the seller admitted they didn't know anything about cameras.

People who do this often enough know that it is a gamble, soon enough you bid on a lens with a poor photo and a poor description and you end up with something infested with fungus, scratches, etc. Most of the time you don't, but it's still a risk a lot of buyers aren't willing to take.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with mos6502.

Sometimes you get treasures sometimes trash but usually a pretty good chance it will be OK. Some makes are obviously better made and likely to be good (eg Asahi ) Sometimes you gamble and lose. I have several GDR lenses with really stiff helical grease. Minolta's and Konica's with oil on the blades. Most people are unwilling to bid very high on an "as is" example that is poorly described. Good descriptions can definitely help your sale.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need opinion of target audience member, not the experts here! : lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what he says, but eventually, all a casual seller with no specific knowledge of cameras can do is to give a good description and provide enough photos, so that the buyers could figure out what's going on. Throwing in words like professional, rare, or mint, will not help their case.

Last edited by Gardener on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are trying to maximize profit, and your item is in good condition, and desirable, a good description and good clear well exposed pictures(Why is it so hard for sellers of photography equipment to provide good pictures?) can draw more action to your sale, on the other hand, if it's not desirable or in poor condition, you may be better off being vague.

The article is ok, saying that there is only one vintage camera worth collecting(more or less what was said) was inaccurate at best.
I think all one has to do is search ebay as he spoke of, for each item, compare items look for differences, if there are, was it a different year? a different model? a change in design? a fake? etc... if you can't find an explanation, or the exact model, then by all means, ask a forum, please don't jump strait to the forum and ask us to do the work for you.... unless you have a large collection on your hands.
If a person is not into photography, and doesn't know where to start? take pictures and post them on a camera forum and ask "what do I have and what's worth what" and add your intentions, sell, keep, use... and never take one person's word on a low value and sell it cheap.
This may not look like much, but price can surprise you. which is worth more???

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/Leica-I-Mod-A-(4-digits-Number).html
or

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/Leica-I-Mod-A-(Anastigmat).html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
If a person is not into photography, and doesn't know where to start? take pictures and post them on a camera forum and ask "what do I have and what's worth what" .

Often times this is not an option - many sellers simply don't have time for this sort of things. I'll give you an example - about half a mile from my hose there is a small business run by an elderly couple, probably in their late sixties of early seventies. They do full service shipping, rent u-hauls, run an antique store, and will put stuff on ebay for you. Do you think they time to research and go to forums. The same is true for estate sales people - they have 2-3 days a week to hit as many sales as they can, and accumulate stock. Then they need to sell it. Putting a 100 items on ebay takes time, packing and shipping takes a lot of time, and often they will be ok with sufficient profit as long as the sale is quick and painless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the best would be to contact an auction house, in this case specialized in photography and/or technical instruments.

In Europe, there are Westlicht and Dorotheum (Vienna); Auction Team Breker (Cologne, Germany), etc. etc.

It just needs to email the proper department, with good pictures in attachment and read their response.

Besides a possible, relatively low estimate price, the Auction houses, through their clients' list, advertising and specialized interests of collectors and photographers, will do the rest, often with surprisingly good result.

A seller, usually pays a reasonable percentage to the auctioneers.

I'm a collector in a different, non photographic field and to satisfactorily dispose of what wouln't be of my interest anymore, I usually give the pieces to auction houses.

Ebay, in my opinion, is not a good way to valuate a piece, because also the sold-listing, often is not to be trusted in full.

Best wishes,

E.L.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:
an auction house

I don't think we have specialty auctioneers like that around here. And the MO of the regular auction houses is take 10-15% of the top, slap on ~20% buyer premium, and then tell you they don't ship, so you get to deal with the shipper, who gets it to you at 3-5 times the cost. So, the seller gets around 50% of what the buyer pays, and the buyer gets crappy photos, lots of guesswork, and little to no recourse if the stuff arrives rotten through and through.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for any reasonably common item ebay research is the best way to find out value. It's pretty much worldwide. If you have a rare or unique item value will be hard to find anywhere. If you want to sell it you will find PDQ what it is worth at auction. If you want to keep it unless it is extremely valuable then auction with reserve. Yes the sold listings CAN be manipulated to a certain degree on semi rare items.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really just two problems with looking up values on ebay.

1: non-paying bidders might bid prices up to ridiculous prices, but the sold listings won't tell you this. You'll just see the unreasonably inflated price. This can also happen with BIN, now that ebay no longer shows the actual sale price, and just the listing price.

2: Items which are actually rare often go for less money than they'd really be worth. Items which aren't actually rare at all, but which are just uncommon enough to fool people into thinking they're hard to find often go for absurdly high prices (Triotars, Edixagons, etc.). The problem with the rare stuff is, the few people who actually know what it is and will pay for it, often aren't watching ebay, consequently some really obscure stuff sometimes sells for next to nothing. I have bought a couple rare items for very little, but only made the mistake of selling something rare on ebay once.