Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What happened to Komura?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

THANKS for the info but again i spoke of the modern (1975/1983) komura lenses
Your lens looks like a +-1965 lens .. Correct ?

They obviously didn't do what was necessary to survive. I'm not very interested in the later lenses. I did purchase one by mistake and don't use it. I don't recall anyone praising the later lenses, so it was probably a combination of reasons for their demise. When they went to the auto lenses, they also dropped the beautiful multi-bladed diaphragms, as did other manufacturers.

I doubt the fast lenses are worth the amounts people ask on ebay, and it doesn't look like they sell very often. Every now and then one gets listed at auction and gets plenty of bids and ultimately a high price, but lower than the buy-it-now numbers. I suspect those are people that are buying mostly because of the perceived value, and some may show up immediately afterwards at the higher prices. This can only continue because of the rarity of those lenses. I would never expect those lenses to outperform other well respected lenses in technical terms, but I suspect they have unique character. I would like to see pictures from meanwhile's lens.

If I were to buy a 135mm of that speed, and pay those premiums, I'd probably go for the Topcor. If I had the money to spare, I'd go for both.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from today. Not overly exciting, but shows the bokeh character and also how sharp it is (this is on APS-C with Lens Turbo II, rather than full frame).

100% crop

Last edited by meanwhile on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

They obviously didn't do what was necessary to survive. I'm not very interested in the later lenses. I did purchase one by mistake and don't use it. I don't recall anyone praising the later lenses, so it was probably a combination of reasons for their demise. When they went to the auto lenses, they also dropped the beautiful multi-bladed diaphragms, as did other manufacturers.

I doubt the fast lenses are worth the amounts people ask on ebay, and it doesn't look like they sell very often. Every now and then one gets listed at auction and gets plenty of bids and ultimately a high price, but lower than the buy-it-now numbers. I suspect those are people that are buying mostly because of the perceived value, and some may show up immediately afterwards at the higher prices. This can only continue because of the rarity of those lenses. I would never expect those lenses to outperform other well respected lenses in technical terms, but I suspect they have unique character. I would like to see pictures from meanwhile's lens.

If I were to buy a 135mm of that speed, and pay those premiums, I'd probably go for the Topcor. If I had the money to spare, I'd go for both.

I think the fast primes from Komura is not bad in in technical terms. I got a cheap 2/105 with full of fine cleaning mark on both side of the rear element and some coating worn off the edge. The lens still perform decently good at wide open, despite the fault on rear element. I will post samples later when I have chance to try it.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest thing about this lens when on the Lens Turbo is not having enough depth of field, rather than having too much. Even at f16 (more like f8 ) the depth of field is still quite narrow.

@f2

@f16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think they started manufacturing this lens in 1968, serial numbers starting with 301. Mine starts with 325, so guessing 1969 or 1970?

(Oh, and looking at the ones on eBay at the moment, mine was bloody cheap. It does have some etching from fungus I think though around one of the front inner elements, but that doesn't seem to effect the image quality)