Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do Sony have planned for the NEX range?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan, you are right (as always). SONY made a software update, and now you can set up your NEX so that the central button gives access to ISO, WB, and DR/HDR. Still, if you do so, you have to go through menu in order to change the shooting mode. NEX control system is rotten, I can go on forever about all the annoyances that I have with it. It is certainly not conceived as a serious photographic tool. On the other hand, it has a number of advantages that are hard to get elsewhere.

I think the form factor of NEX-5 is brilliant: easily pocketable body with a great grip, LCD is great, sensor is great, the price is ridiculously low especially if one buys second hand. The only thing it lacks (for me) are the control dials and proper hot shoe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
kuuan, you are right (as always)....

thank's Laughing

fermy wrote:
SONY made a software update, and now you can set up your NEX so that the central button gives access to ISO, WB, and DR/HDR. Still, if you do so, you have to go through menu in order to change the shooting mode. NEX control system is rotten, I can go on forever about all the annoyances that I have with it. It is certainly not conceived as a serious photographic tool. On the other hand, it has a number of advantages that are hard to get elsewhere.

I think the form factor of NEX-5 is brilliant: easily pocketable body with a great grip, LCD is great, sensor is great, the price is ridiculously low especially if one buys second hand. The only thing it lacks (for me) are the control dials and proper hot shoe.

after the update, isn't it the same with the NEX3 and NEX 5 than with the NEX5N?
on my 5N I have set the button to the right of the central button to access the shooting mode. Sure I'd prefer the dedicated wheel as on NEX6, but find it reasonably well useable as it is

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, you need to set the central wheel to fast access to the settings you need

Update firmware if needed

then go to menu, setup
Soft key c setting change to custom
I have mine set to white balance, ISO, and metering mode
But you can choose
AF area, WB , Metering Mode, FLASH COMP, DRO /AUTO HDR, CREATIVE STYLE

Once set press the middle button on the wheel and left and right to go to the options turn wheel to select them

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I'll check if I hve that update, I did update my firmware ages ago to get focus peaking.

fermy wrote:
kuuan, you are right (as always). SONY made a software update, and now you can set up your NEX so that the central button gives access to ISO, WB, and DR/HDR. Still, if you do so, you have to go through menu in order to change the shooting mode. NEX control system is rotten, I can go on forever about all the annoyances that I have with it. It is certainly not conceived as a serious photographic tool. On the other hand, it has a number of advantages that are hard to get elsewhere.

This sums things up really, my NEX has a great screen, great IQ, it's very cheap, it fits in my pocket with certain lenses attached.

However, I find it very limiting as a serious photographic tool, just simple things like no cable release, poor control system.

It was buying a Nikon D50 that did it for me, it reminded me how much I prefer a 'proper' camera,I just find the D50 so much more pleasurable to use, it feels so much better in my hands, the controls are so much easier to use. Of course, it's obsolete, the screen is tiny and lo-res, the sensor is ancient etc etc. But I really enjoy using it.

My big problem with most DSLRs is that they have terrible, small, dim, crappy reflex systems. The D50 is actually quite good, it's quite a decent size and quite bight, the screen is matte enough to focus with and the electronic range finder really does work.

What I'm not liking about the new Sony consumer level cameras is the flimsy, low quality build, and the cost-cutting in key areas. The A58, they have put on a crappy 430k screen and a ridiculous flimsy plastic mount, the A3000 is even worse, I've already ragged on that camera at length.

Of course, it's not just Sony, Canon have been guilty of producing their fair share of flimsy crap, the EF II 1.8/50 primarily, just look how many of them are on ebay where the optical block has just fallen out, the EF-S 18-55 is junk too, had three of them, AF died on all three, I've seen cheap children's toys that put them to shame in terms of robustness and build quality.

I'm just not going to spend my money on this sort of flimsy junk, so maybe I'm going to have to settle for buying a secondhand, several years old semi-pro camera just because it's well built. I don't get why Sony has to make their new cameras so crappy when they were able to build the NEX-3 to be robust and nice quality. I've used mine a hell of a lot, I've dropped it on rocks three times, it still works fine, all the buttons still work as they should, it's well made.

What I want is for Sony to produce an e-mount equivalent of the Samsung NX20 or the Lumix GH-3, is that too much to ask? The A3000 could have been that camera,but they made it flimsy, poor quality and put very obsolete crappy screen and EVF on it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

after the update, isn't it the same with the NEX3 and NEX 5 than with the NEX5N?
on my 5N I have set the button to the right of the central button to access the shooting mode. Sure I'd prefer the dedicated wheel as on NEX6, but find it reasonably well useable as it is

No, it's not entirely the same, unless they've made another update that I am not aware of. The buttons around the wheel are not programmable on NEX-3/5, so you have to press the menu button and then change the mode in the menu. By itself this is not a tragedy (although annoying) since most of the time, when you press the menu button you have the shooting mode menu active. However, you also need to do various other things via menu, like delete pictures from the card and select "Sunny weather" LCD brightness or switch between jpeg and RAW if you want to do HDR. Bottom line, it's an idiotic interface for someone who uses the full camera functionality.

PS. Ian, if you want a cable release, NEX-5 has a wireless remote. The swap NEX-3 -> 5 would probably cost you next to nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
kuuan wrote:

No, it's not entirely the same, unless they've made another update that I am not aware of. The buttons around the wheel are not programmable on NEX-3/5, so you have to press the menu button and then change the mode in the menu. By itself this is not a tragedy (although annoying) since most of the time, when you press the menu button you have the shooting mode menu active. However, you also need to do various other things via menu, like delete pictures from the card and select "Sunny weather" LCD brightness or switch between jpeg and RAW if you want to do HDR. Bottom line, it's an idiotic interface for someone who uses the full camera functionality.

PS. Ian, if you want a cable release, NEX-5 has a wireless remote. The swap NEX-3 -> 5 would probably cost you next to nothing.

thank you very much fermy for the clarification.
Yes, NEX interface is amazingly bad. I feel great resistance against pressing the menu button. If I have to I try to take it as a sport and to feel amused Wink I am rather successful at that because gratefully, the way I set up my 5N, I very rarely have to use it.