Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What can you tell me? Topcon Super D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: What can you tell me? Topcon Super D Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I'm new here to MFlenses so this is officially my first post!

I've been into digital SLR cameras for a while but came across this one, silver Topcon Super D. It's been laying around in one of my boxes in the attic since I got it as a gift from my grandfather many years ago.

I was wondering if any of you professionals here could give me some information about this camera?

It's equipped with RE AUTO TOPCOR f1.4 58mm, both the camera and lens are in really good condition.

Haven't tried it yet but it's on my to-do list!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
thormundurs

Last edited by thormundurs on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome thormundurs!
You cannot post photos with your first entry, it is an anti spamming measure.
If you post again with the photos of the camera they will show up.
I don't know anything about the camera, but others will.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Welcome thormundurs!
You cannot post photos with your first entry, it is an anti spamming measure.
If you post again with the photos of the camera they will show up.
I don't know anything about the camera, but others will.

Thank you and thank you for the info. I guess I can put in the images now.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a nice camera! Your Topcon Super D was built in 1972, and it is a slightly modified Topcon RE (1963). The Topcon RE was the first SLR with through-the-lens metering, and it is built like a tank - as you probably have noted yourself. In its early time the RE system was among the best professional cameras. It had lenses that other manufacturers like Nikon and Canon would introduce only 15 years later, such as 2/135mm and 2.8/300mm telephoto lenses (both introduced in 1957). The Topcon RE / Super D / Super DM system suffered from the small Exakta bayonet, a German construction from the 1936. The small diameter is a drawback for contructing lenses. It is said that Nikon had a much better US distributor than Topcon, and that due to this fact Nikon finally became the professional SLR.

See here: https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/the-sublime-topcon-re-super.453158/

The Topcon RE needs (no forbidden) mercury batteries for operating its TTL-metering. Since shutter and aperture are fully mechanical, you don't need batteries for taking images, though.

At their time, most Topcor R and RE lenses were outstanding, and they are still collectible items. You can see some of them on my webpage: http://www.artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses. More detailed information can be found here: http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/lens1.htm

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is quite collectible, more so than more Japanese f/1.4 normal lenses.
Going price on US ebay is about $140-$200, which is about three to five times a Nikkor-S 50/1.4 or a Super Takumar 50/1.4 these days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky. The camera is very nice - it would be nice to try if it operates. The lens is a collectible, high quality, unique and beautiful ~50mm. It can be easily used even on Canon DSLRs. Give it your love Smile