Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are the cheapest good looking rangefinder lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
john_ wrote:
The priorities are in this order: looks, build quality, optical performance.

If that's the case, why not buy the sexiest-looking lens you can find which has fungus or haze or something else wrong with it? It would
be relatively cheap and just think how good you'd feel flashing your expensive-looking lens around. Nobody would know it doesn't work. Laughing

Did I say that the optical performance does not matter? I don't think so. I knew this post would attract some amount of trolling but I didn't expect it to come from a mod Sad

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions.

In case anyone else is interested, a few other not-super-expensive lenses that I guess would meet the points good looking and good build quality (and at least very usable optical performance). I think the former two aren't unknown. Didn't know about the last one though:
C-summicron 40 f2
M-Rokkor 40 f2
Avenon 28 f3.5 http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Avenon.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need a good-looking adapter too.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_ wrote:

In case anyone else is interested, a few other not-super-expensive lenses that I guess would meet the points good looking and good build quality (and at least very usable optical performance). I think the former two aren't unknown. Didn't know about the last one though:
C-summicron 40 f2
M-Rokkor 40 f2

well, also the concept of "cheapest" now becomes questionable... all of them are at least ten times more expensive than an Industar Smile. At this point, add also Canon Serenar and Voigtlander Heliar, Color Skopar...

Anyway, thanks for the last suggestion, I did not know the brand (not particularly good looking but interesting, sort of pancake).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
john_ wrote:

C-summicron 40 f2
M-Rokkor 40 f2

well, also the concept of "cheapest" now becomes questionable... all of them are at least ten times more expensive than an Industar Smile. At this point, add also Canon Serenar and Voigtlander Heliar, Color Skopar...

Anyway, thanks for the last suggestion, I did not know the brand (not particularly good looking but interesting, sort of pancake).

The black one not so much. But I think the silver one looks quite good:
http://mail.holidays.net/store/img-large/avenon-28mm-f-3-5-lens-leica-l39-screw-excellent-ku87_261559219909.jpg

Generally, at least where I am, Serenars in good condition seem to be very rare. Same for the Russian lenses. Or they end up being almost as expensive as the 'better' ones. Maybe one has to be very patient. Where do you guys find all those cheap Russian lenses? Offers on Evilbay seem to be either in a poor condition or overpriced (or both).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="john_"][quote="enzodm"]
john_ wrote:
...Generally, at least where I am, Serenars in good condition seem to be very rare. Same for the Russian lenses. Or they end up being almost as expensive as the 'better' ones. Maybe one has to be very patient. Where do you guys find all those cheap Russian lenses? Offers on Evilbay seem to be either in a poor condition or overpriced (or both).

On Ebay US, while the Serenar's aren't very common, the Canon LTM lenses in most focal lengths are pretty common. You need to take your time though as the prices vary considerably.

The LTM pancake Industars I have seen have all been junk (although their M42 cousins will work at least). I do have two of the larger Industar 61s (52 and 55mm) in LTM that are attractive in black and chrome, in great condition and quite functional (though nowhere near the best 50mm lenses available). The lenses set me back $30.00 ea on Ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 35mm f/2.5 is a jewel, but maybe not cheap enough. Another very nice lens is the PEN F 40mm f/1.4 which has good IQ too. Can you say something about budget?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokkor 40/2

DSC01580-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

nikkor 5cm f/1.4

DSC01569-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

Canon 50/1.2

DSC01522-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

28 cron:

crony by unoh7, on Flickr

1937 jena

DSC02414 by unoh7, on Flickr

CV 35/1.4

DSC05768 by unoh7, on Flickr

5cm Red Dial

DSC08945 by unoh7, on Flickr

They all look pretty good to me Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon 50/1.2 looks and feels like it was designed for my A7r.

The Canon 50/1.5 is one of the toughest Canon lenses to find with no issues, haze being far too common.
On the other hand, the 35/2.8 seems to rarely have issues from the many examples I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

They all look pretty good to me Smile

Wow, that's an impressive collection. Thanks everyone, I think I got enough suggestions and will now go on standby for deals Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black barrel Jupiter 8.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more of the 1937 Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5

DSC06958 by unoh7, on Flickr

You can find these in Contax mount for 150USD easily.

it's no slouch, here right out of M9 with no edit:

jena blue by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Black barrel Jupiter 8.

Yes it is cute on the A7 . I paid mine 15 euros and it is ok from 2.8 in the center.