Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are the biggest bargains you have LOST?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Pen-F camera with the 38mm, 60mm and the 25mm for 300 euros. A classified, but when I called the guy said "sorry I just sold it to the guy who called before you, two minutes ago".

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I don't look at it this way. A bargain is never a bargain until you have the lens in hand.

It's still a bargain - only someone elses!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Gardener wrote:
I don't look at it this way. A bargain is never a bargain until you have the lens in hand.

It's still a bargain - only someone elses!

What I meant was a bargain is never a bargain until you have a chance to evaluate lens' condition.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Olympus Pen-F camera with the 38mm, 60mm and the 25mm for 300 euros. A classified, but when I called the guy said "sorry I just sold it to the guy who called before you, two minutes ago".

ouch!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l missed a Zeiss Biotar 75mm f/1.5 (M42, mint condition) a few months ago, the guy sold it for 30€...
He still had a Helios 40-2 (85mm f/1.5, M42, also mint condition) for me (20€) so I wasn't too sad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost a Pentax-F 135mm f/2.8 for 65€* by a couple of minutes...

*worth ~300€

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lost a vivitar s1 300mm f3 ..it had only been on the bay by minutes and i asked what he wanted for it with a buy it now .he say £15 inc del .. i say YES so he set it up on a buy it now...........but some one else see the buy it now within seconds and buy it Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many.
Recently: Minolta AF mirror tele (yes that one and I've been in the lookout for it). Local ad by it now price at 80 euros range at a location close enough to pick it up. Nine minutes late...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest miss:
http://olx.hu/hirdetes/carl-zeiss-jena-uv-objektiv-4-60-m42-ID2IgHJ.html
25000 hungarian forint is about 110$ Crying or Very sad

It think this is the same piece: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-QUARTZ-LENS-4-60-UV-Objektiv-Ultra-Violet-M42-Extremely-Rare-/181578400532?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a46ea8314

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest bargains you have LOST? Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Well, frustrations apart, I guess this thread makes as much sense as it's bigger brother!

I'll start then.

This week I lost on eBay a boxed M42 (never seen a minter piece) Sonnar that I was going to get for £15 (+ shipping), why you ask? Because the seller did not set the shipping value for my country and I could not activate the 'Buy Now'.. a minutes later a lucky bastard took it..

Crying or Very sad

Kind of same story with me. It was Tomioka 55/1.2 lens for just $200, I was on the mobile phone and there was suddenly no "buy" button, and there were only 30 seconds left. I could do it from a PC no matter what country, but on a phone it was total disaster.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really say I lost it but here's a bargain someone else got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221626436320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quality zoom lens but I considered that I lost it because I stopped using it. It's sitting on a shelf in a sealed plastic bag right now.
The lens was owned by a smoker, perhaps a very heavy smoker. The smell of cigarette's smoke was deep in the rubber grip, in the plastic. Each time I used it, it took me a while to wash the smell off my hand after.
No offense to smokers. I was once a heavy smoker, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikono wrote:
I got a quality zoom lens but I considered that I lost it because I stopped using it. It's sitting on a shelf in a sealed plastic bag right now.
The lens was owned by a smoker, perhaps a very heavy smoker. The smell of cigarette's smoke was deep in the rubber grip, in the plastic. Each time I used it, it took me a while to wash the smell off my hand after.

I once received a lens that someone wiped with some some sort of odor-masking cleaner - it had this super-annoying laundry smell - "mountain freshness", "cool breeze" or whatever bs name marketing people gave. Drove me nuts. I tried everything. In the end, I peeled off the grip and hanged it outside on the sunny side of the house for the entire warm season. After 5 months the stench was gone Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikono wrote:

Extended exposure to fresh air and sunlight can help get rid of this smell.
Worth a try - even if it takes all summer.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I lose eBay auctions all the time. The most difficult losses come when only one bidder outbids me. That happens too often.

But my toughest loss came with an auction I actually WON! Here is the story:

I was doing my early morning scans, as usual, of the many e-mails from eBay that come in early every day. I saw a brand new Tamron 01A at a really good "Buy It Now" price. I could scarcely believe my eyes!! That's a lens I target. Finding a new one, at any price, is amazing. The BIN price was quite reasonable, considering. While the auction listed the lens as brand new, the photos showed only the box and a lens wrapped in a Tamron-imprinted plastic bag - the original packaging.

I bought the lens instantly. The seller had good (100%) feedback. I was thrilled to be able to buy that item new. Heck, when I can get a 01A even in good used shape it's a great day.

Fast forward several days and the lens is delivered. Opened the package and it was a dirty, old, heavily used, 01A!!!! It was a disaster.

Contacted seller who had sold lens on a "no returns" basis. Seller said he had never looked at the lens. First he denied a return privilege. Then, later, he allowed return, but only at my expense. It cost me over $8, and a lot of time, to ship that piece of junk back. Thank goodness most eBay sellers are not jerks like that guy was!

I surely wish somebody else had seen that lens before me, but I was early. Sometimes the early bird ends up with a rotten worm.

Comming second is indeed a pain. Especially when the bid entered was as a marker, and the intension was to return near the end of the auction. This has happened to me many times and I've lost out because I forgot to check that evening, or the auction has been ended early...
The only consolation in comming second is the winner may have bid vastly more than you we're willing to pay & got a bargain.

With your Tamron, you should have raised a not as described case against them. I've had a lens that came out very different to the description and IMO the lens value was less than the return postage. The seller was unreasonable about returns, so the case got escalated, then when E-bay found in my favor they got me a full refund & paid the returns postage for me. The 'no returns' basis has no standing if the goods are clearly not as described.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I just lost Trioplan 100 for €100 just for checking its condition or if it's not a sick joke. Obviously, the item was gone just after refreshing site. What a stupid idiot I am. Might have stopped attending my job for a week Very Happy !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this DALLMEYER lens. I don't know why I don't click the BIN button ASAP. Laugh 1
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpa Kern-Macro-Switar 50 f1.8, 50usd.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been few, but the one still stuck in my mind was from a few months ago...

Estate sale of a wealthy gear hoarder. All sorts of stuff. Cameras....many bodies, two of every lens, one being a spare.
Two near new MTO 1000mm f/10 mirror lens kits, free shipping.
My internet service provider went down minutes before the end of bid, and my last bid didn't reach and it sold for 152.00 USD.
1/3 less than other used models. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
LOL, I just lost Trioplan 100 for �100 just for checking its condition or if it's not a sick joke. Obviously, the item was gone just after refreshing site. What a stupid idiot I am. Might have stopped attending my job for a week Very Happy !

I lost a rare MS Helios-77M couple days ago the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, seeing this thread for the first time:

Had highest bid on the two classical Zeiss 1.4 35mm & 85mm for Rollei QBM in mint condition, both together less than 1000.-€ some yrs ago.

Those bl...dy bast..ds form German DHL lost the parcel!
Shipment was insured for 500.-€, no cent more.
Can You imagine the trouble to recieve even that half money from DHL back?

This is a lost! Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Ha ha, seeing this thread for the first time:

Had highest bid on the two classical Zeiss 1.4 35mm & 85mm for Rollei QBM in mint condition, both together less than 1000.-� some yrs ago.

Those bl...dy bast..ds form German DHL lost the parcel!
Shipment was insured for 500.-�, no cent more.
Can You imagine the trouble to recieve even that half money from DHL back?

This is a lost! Sad

I just cried.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of time I lost auction because I forget about them... last time I lost a rare soviet macro lens Korrektar... it's gone for 7 euros...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one that got away... Olympus OM-3Ti with OM 35-80mm/2.8 lens...for around 200€

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better to don't remind all the losts bargains...

leica summicron 35mm R for 80e
zuiko 50mm 1.2 for 50e
And a lots more

my last catch up : zeiss pc distagon 35mm 2.8 with shift : 310e !! it is in way to me, hope it's in great condition