Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are the biggest bargains you have LOST?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost an almost mint Yashinon Tomioka 55mm 1.2 that sold by 32€... I had to pay 10 times it for the one I keep.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I lost an almost mint Yashinon Tomioka 55mm 1.2 that sold by 32€... I had to pay 10 times it for the one I keep.

Damn Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking but untested Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200/2.8 for 27 GBP incl. P&P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! That's really bad when such a thing happens!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always check the online catalogue of a local auction house to see if there is anything worth bidding on.
The description usually just says box of camera equipment or camera so I usually try to get there for the last hour of viewing to have a look.

About 3 months ago there was a box of camera lenses which turned out to be a load of OM Zuiko gear. If I remember correctly it included a 16mm, 21mm/f2, 24mm shift, 28mm, 35mm, 35mm shift, 40mm/f2, 50mm/f1.2, 50mm/f1.4, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm, 200mm, 300mm and about 5 or 6 varied zooms. Apparently they had come form an architect. All mint, all boxed.

Estimated price - £100-200.

As I work on auction days I sent him through a bid of as much as I could have afforded at the time - £500. If I was lucky and won I could sell the shifts and zooms, keep what I wanted and make my money back.

I got a reply the following day telling me I had won my auction for £80!!!

I went to collect it the following day but it turned out I had emailed the wrong lot number and actually won a box of mixed silver cutlery/teapots/platters etc.

The lenses sold for £190!

On the plus side I sold the silverware on ebay and made £100 profit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sunday i did a random internet search for a very wanted lens, the konica m mount 21/35 dual focus. to my utter disbelief, some guy in toronto just that day listed one on the local craigs list for the unbelieveable price of $700!!!!!!!!

i wnet out of my mind, contacted him immediately telling him i wanted it and if he could meet me somewhere in ny. he says no, and tha he has set up a mtg with someone locally later this week to look at that lens. i immediately emailed him i would buy it sight unseen and give him $100 for shipping to me in ny. 6 hours later i get an email from him the lens had been sold....
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed on local auction sites...not one, but two Summicrons 35mm f/2 that went for about 1/2 the price they go on ebay!!! I am constantly looking if any more appear, but no luck yet...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me more times than I'd care to admit. Usually, though, I just put it behind me and move on, trusting that another example of what I wanted will come along and I'll get it. But for the sake of this thread, let me think. Usually I can chalk this problem up to an issue at the auction site. Too many users slowing page returns down, etc.

The last time this happened that I can recall I was waiting on the close of an auction for a Canon FS4000US scanner. I never bid early. I always wait until the last few seconds. So I'm waiting, I've entered my max bid amount, and I'm watching the seconds tick down. I don't like to cut things any closer than 12 seconds to go because of the possibility of too many users slowing the site down, so at 12 seconds, I hit enter, and it just sits there. The next window that's supposed to pop up, where I confirm my bid, doesn't appear. Then finally it shows up and I confirm my bid. But it ends up going through after the auction's closed. There was additional bidding activity on the scanner, but my max amount was significantly higher than the winning bid. I was chapped about that all day long that day.

This same sort of thing has happened to me more than once. It's followed closely by my just simply forgetting about the item and missing the auction close, or not hearing the alarm I set to let me know of the auction close.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lose eBay auctions all the time. The most difficult losses come when only one bidder outbids me. That happens too often.

But my toughest loss came with an auction I actually WON! Here is the story:

I was doing my early morning scans, as usual, of the many e-mails from eBay that come in early every day. I saw a brand new Tamron 01A at a really good "Buy It Now" price. I could scarcely believe my eyes!! That's a lens I target. Finding a new one, at any price, is amazing. The BIN price was quite reasonable, considering. While the auction listed the lens as brand new, the photos showed only the box and a lens wrapped in a Tamron-imprinted plastic bag - the original packaging.

I bought the lens instantly. The seller had good (100%) feedback. I was thrilled to be able to buy that item new. Heck, when I can get a 01A even in good used shape it's a great day.

Fast forward several days and the lens is delivered. Opened the package and it was a dirty, old, heavily used, 01A!!!! It was a disaster.

Contacted seller who had sold lens on a "no returns" basis. Seller said he had never looked at the lens. First he denied a return privilege. Then, later, he allowed return, but only at my expense. It cost me over $8, and a lot of time, to ship that piece of junk back. Thank goodness most eBay sellers are not jerks like that guy was!

I surely wish somebody else had seen that lens before me, but I was early. Sometimes the early bird ends up with a rotten worm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once lost Canon FD 55mm f1.2 Aspherical for 170 Euros. I was planning to bid in the last moment, but then my wife called in to help her "for a second", then something else came in... Bottom line, I returned 5 minutes too late, only to see that the lens went for nothing. But I always just move on. There will be another lens, there are thousands of good and interesting ones, one can't get all of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I once lost Canon FD 55mm f1.2 Aspherical for 170 Euros. I was planning to bid in the last moment, but then my wife called in to help her "for a second", then something else came in... Bottom line, I returned 5 minutes too late, only to see that the lens went for nothing. But I always just move on. There will be another lens, there are thousands of good and interesting ones, one can't get all of them.

Ha thats happened to me more times than I care to think. People phoning at the wrong time too in the last couple of minutes when I'm ready to put in a last few seconds bid on something with no bids.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
fermy wrote:

Ha thats happened to me more times than I care to think. People phoning at the wrong time too in the last couple of minutes when I'm ready to put in a last few seconds bid on something with no bids.

I missed a good 85mm Nikkor a month ago. $1 and it did not sell. I missed the end of the auction - Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.snip.pl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auction I have lost and I can't forget took place about 2 year ago.
On ebay.uk it was posted a very rare gold plated (24k) Plaubel Makina with 3 lenses (also gold plated) and some accessories in a perfect condition. I have never seen another gold plated Makina in my life.
It was posted late in the night and I was one of the first to see it.
The "buy it now" price was 400GBP and the seller, who obviously didn't know what he was selling, accept "best offers".
Instead of instantly buying it I offered him 300GBP. Stupid move -15 minutes latter, when I wanted to retract the offer and buy it for the asking price, it was already sold! And it was about 2 or 3 in the night!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost quite some bargain deals but on top of my head those were not the ones I forgot the auction time but because it doesn't ship to my country, mostly only to US.

On top of my head I've seen a Nikon 20/2.8 sold for $20 but I can't bid on it because seller only ships to US and most parts of Europe.
Another one is a Konica Autoreflex + Konica Hexanon 50/1.4 with case for 19.99 but only ships to US.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won a Nikkor 135mm Pre Ai in good shape from a guy in poland for like....... little more than 20€ on ebay (auction starting from 0.99 no reserve)

he refused to ship the item cuz wasn't his property and the original owner wasnt happy with the ending price....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
I have lost quite some bargain deals but on top of my head those were not the ones I forgot the auction time but because it doesn't ship to my country, mostly only to US.

On top of my head I've seen a Nikon 20/2.8 sold for $20 but I can't bid on it because seller only ships to US and most parts of Europe.
Another one is a Konica Autoreflex + Konica Hexanon 50/1.4 with case for 19.99 but only ships to US.

Hey Bruzzo, for your future reference, to get around the shipping restrictions that many US sellers have, get to know one of us who live in the US and arrange to have that person bid on the item for you. If you have a Paypal account, it becomes quite easy to handle payments for the items. I've done this service for Calvin, a member here who lives in Hong Kong, a number of times. And I know others who live in the US have done likewise for other non-US members here.

DahakaNishoba wrote:
Won a Nikkor 135mm Pre Ai in good shape from a guy in poland for like....... little more than 20€ on ebay (auction starting from 0.99 no reserve)

he refused to ship the item cuz wasn't his property and the original owner wasnt happy with the ending price....

I hope you turned him in to eBay for those antics. You know, this reminded me of an auction I won a couple of years ago. I was the successful, actually the only bidder on a Vivitar S1 28-105 for Nikon. The winning bid was, like $20. I paid for the item and waited. And waited. Finally I get a terse note from the seller stating that the item "had a problem" and the seller didn't want to sell the lens since it had a problem. She refunded my money. I wrote back, saying it was ok, I didn't mind that it had a problem, just ship the lens. No response. Pissed me off, but I didn't do anything about it. I have always suspected that the seller was unhappy with the selling price and just decided not to ship it to me. I can just imagine this dialog:

Friend: You sold it for HOW MUCH? Hell, I'll give you TWICE that for it!
Seller: Sold. Here ya go, where's my 40 bucks?
Friend: (Hands over the cash) Cool!

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some weeks ago, I lost a good Helios 40, great shape, for 250 euros... it was in my usual shop, but didn't have the money... I checked everyday to see if it was still here, still was here... but the day I came with money in my pocket, it was not here anymore . Damn you, buyer! Mad

I think that's not possible to find such price on the bay now Confused

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a coach trip to Llandudno this morning we passed a chapel that was having a car boot sale at the side of the road.

I was sat about 4 metres (on the bus) from a stall that had a couple of old cameras. I watched a man pick one up and look at me through the viewfinder. I'm sure it was a Leica - well the Russians dont have that round speed dial on the front (do they?). He put it down and walked on. The lights turned green and we carried on.

Gutted.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoca sv with zunow lens, passed it up for £25, got home and read up about it but was gone by the time I got back to the market......was a very sad day.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
On a coach trip to Llandudno this morning we passed a chapel that was having a car boot sale at the side of the road.

I was sat about 4 metres (on the bus) from a stall that had a couple of old cameras. I watched a man pick one up and look at me through the viewfinder. I'm sure it was a Leica - well the Russians dont have that round speed dial on the front (do they?). He put it down and walked on. The lights turned green and we carried on.

Gutted.

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last incident was I picked up a Konica 57mm f1.4 lens for only 10 bucks in near mint condition but in my
rush to buy it, I forgot to check the aperture. Sure enough,when I got it home, it had sticky blades and can only
be used wide open until its repaired.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
My last incident was I picked up a Konica 57mm f1.4 lens for only 10 bucks in near mint condition but in my
rush to buy it, I forgot to check the aperture. Sure enough,when I got it home, it had sticky blades and can only

Why's that a problem? I thought it was the fashion to shoot wide open?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

Why's that a problem? I thought it was the fashion to shoot wide open?

Actually, I don't have a suitable camera to try it with, if I did, wide open would be fun I guess.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in one week only

-200e for contax primes :
35mm, 50mm and 85mm all in f1.4

-50e for contax 50mm 1.4

-100e for a kit olympus with 50mm 1.2 and 24mm

damn !