Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best so far are a Pancolar 1.8/50 M42 for £35 near mint apart from very tight focusing, Super Tak 2.5/135 for £35 and a Pentacon 4/200 for €5.

For free I've had:
Super Tak 1.4/50 v1
Auto Rikenon 1.4/55 (M42)
Praktica MTL3 + Pentacon 1.8/50
Kodak Retina Reflex S + Schneider 2.8/50 + Schneider 4/135
Pancolar 1.8/50 which I broke
A few 620 folders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks, William, you need Mo's hood. Or she needs your Super-Tak. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't have it anymore, sold it too cheaply as I didn't know it's true value. It's the best 135 I've tried.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won this auction on eBay: $9.99. It appears to be new old stock. How cool is that? A NOS lens that's probaby close to 40 years old. Anyway, the shipping cost more than the lens. It's a pre-AI Nikon mount.

Click here to see on Ebay

I've been wanting a faster 200mm for my Nikon outfit -- which I can also use with my Canon DSLR -- cuz right now the fastest 200mm lens I have is a Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 zoom.

I have a sightly later version of this lens in Canon FD mount. It's a dedicated FD mount and not T-4. If it's the same optical formula, then I'll be happy. I did a comparison test with my Canon-mount 200/3.5 and it held up very well in testing.

I guess I need to ask Big Dawg about this lens and see what he thinks. I reckon he's got a copy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: biggest bargain Reply with quote

Last Sunday picked up a NIB Pentax F50mm f1.7 c/w hood for $30 can. young guy got lens from a relative but shoots Nikon & needed money to buy w/a sigma.Lens sell in the $250us.range.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: biggest bargain Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Last Sunday picked up a NIB Pentax F50mm f1.7 c/w hood for $30 can. young guy got lens from a relative but shoots Nikon & needed money to buy w/a sigma.Lens sell in the $250us.range.

Now that's a bargain! Shocked Wrong forum though. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another good one today.

2x Calumet 4x5 monorail camera
5x 4x5 lenses [Caltar-S II 210/5.6, Tominon 180/5.6, Tominon 105/4.5, Ektar 203/7.7, Optar 135/4.7]
2x Omega 4x5 enlargers with TONS of filters, condensors, etc. etc.
4-5 enlarging lenses incl. EL Nikkor 50/2.8 and EL Nikkor 135/5.6
TONS of B&W paper
200 sheets of B&W 4x5 film (100Tmax, 400Tmax) 10 sheets of E100G
Jobo CPP2 with lift
2x 2850 tank
1x 1530 Multi tank
1x 3063 Drum
1x 3010 Expert drum, foot pump, cleaning sponge
5x 1501 spools

and just too many darkroom stuff to list.

All of that for 1K. Just the Jobo stuff is worth more than that Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man-o-man, for somebody who's still into a wet darkroom, that's a helluva deal. Shoot, it's probably a great deal just for all the 4x5 stuff -- or like you say, the Jobo stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 50mm 1.4 in mint condition for 23 dollars. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Man-o-man, for somebody who's still into a wet darkroom, that's a helluva deal. Shoot, it's probably a great deal just for all the 4x5 stuff -- or like you say, the Jobo stuff.

Yup, it was a fantastic deal. One of those cases where the previous owner just didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling them piece by piece, but wanted more than anything else for someone to come and clean out his studio Very Happy

When I get the time (I'm defending my PhD dissertation in 3 weeks), I'll sort out everything I need for myself, sell off the others as well as the CPE2 Jobo set that the CPP2 will replace, and I reckon I will easily make back the investment.

I'm particularly psyched about the Expert Drum though!! It's gonna make shooting and developing 4x5 so much more enjoyable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment and two questions:

First the comment: future congrats on the positive outcome of defending your PhD dissertation.

And, not that I'll be able to afford it, but do you know yet what you'll be asking for you Jobo CPP2?

And, totally off topic, but I'm curious -- what will your PhD be in?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
A comment and two questions:

First the comment: future congrats on the positive outcome of defending your PhD dissertation.

And, not that I'll be able to afford it, but do you know yet what you'll be asking for you Jobo CPP2?

And, totally off topic, but I'm curious -- what will your PhD be in?

The CPP2 won't be for sale, the CPE2 will be. I need the CPP2 to use the 4x5 Expert Tank. For the CPE2 + Lift pluc chemical containers and several Jobo tanks (120/220, 4x5, print drum), I'll be looking at somewhere between $400-500.

And thanks! I'm a Maya archaeologist, so my PhD will be on a Maya site in Belize, Central America Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend tipped me off to these beauties that were headed for the local church fete...
Pentax MX
Pentax SMC-M 50mmF1.4
Now I ended up only with the box,front and rear cap and hood but no lens of a ........wait for it.....SMC-M 85mm F2... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad No idea what happened to the lens!!...any way this is what else was in the Box....
A Tamron SP500 F8 mirror lens in its case and with all accessories.(55b)
A Vivitar series 1 70-210mm macro focusing lens (first version)
A Vivitar 28-85 1:2.8-3.8 auto variable focusing lens...no idea about this one??
A Vivitar 285 Flash.
A Vivitar Auto tele convertor 2x-22
A Vivitar Auto tele convertor 3x-22
And 2x CPL filters
What do you think??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good haul, Moira. So did you buy this stuff?

The Tamron mirror is considered to be one of the better 500/8s. Nice thing about it is you can use it on different camera mounts.

The Vivitar stuff:

The S1 70-210 first version is a great lens. Big and heavy, but very sharp.

The 28-85 is one of the better lenses in that focal range. Some were made by Kiron. If yours is Kiron made, then it's definitely a good one.

The Vivitar 285 is a great flash. Powerful and flexible. Is it a regular 285 or an HV? If the former, don't use it with a later style AF/Digital SLR unless you've checked the flash trigger voltage to insure it's under 6v or so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Michael,as soon as I saw them I fell in love Laughing
I bought the lot for $100au.I explained it was worth far more than I could afford and offered $100 and they accepted as they said if put out on the table on fete day they would possibly sell for less.
I was wondering about the Flash It just says 285 Zoom thyristor Auto electronic flash on the box...no instructions Sad If I can use it on the K200D then that would be a great bonus.
Both the Vivitar lens serial numbers start with 22,I found both of them on the Pentax forum third party lens reviews.Going by that info I think the Series 1 is the first version.
I can not wait to try out the Tamron Mirror...I never knew they were so small...I will be going back to a certain waterfall and trying it out.. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good deal! If it works and is in good shape, the Pentax MX alone is worth that price... so you effectively got all of those lenses for free. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
[...]I was wondering about the Flash It just says 285 Zoom thyristor Auto electronic flash on the box...no instructions Sad If I can use it on the K200D then that would be a great bonus.[...]

As far as I know, its trigger voltage is way too high for DSLRs. There is an updated version called 285HS that can be used on today's cameras, but the old 285 could probably kill your K200D.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, modern DSLRs are designed to work with modern low-voltage flash units, up to about 8 or 9 volts and apparently the circuitry (at least on Canon cameras) can be frizzled if you use a high voltage unit. Apparently the Vivitar 285 works at 350V.

I've never risked using an old flash on my Canon, but I've heard that Pentax cameras have a much higher safety margin and have a protection circuit which resets itself if the battery is removed. I can't verify this, personally I wouldn't risk it.

Perhaps someone else can give better info?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....Not worth killing the camera just to use an old flash Very Happy Well if it works with the MX no worries at all Wink Thanks for the info about the flash, it is very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hmmmm.....Not worth killing the camera just to use an old flash Very Happy Well if it works with the MX no worries at all Wink Thanks for the info about the flash, it is very much appreciated.

If you really want to use the flash, you could use one of the "safe-sync" devices. They are just little boxes that sit between the camera and the flash, and convert the voltages to safe levels to keep the flash from damaging your digital camera. Alternately, you could use one of the radio remote triggers... that way, the flash isn't electrically connected at all.

It might not be worth it though... it might be cheaper to just buy a modern flash and be done with it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira, if you have a multimeter or if you know somebody who does, it's real easy to check the voltage on your 285. Just load the flash up with batteries, turn it on and let it power itself up all the way, then put the multimeter probles against the center contact and the ground contact just under the square foot. Chances are it'll be too high, but it doesn't hurt to know the actual amount.

As I dimly recall, the earlier high-voltage models have a gray back panel whereas the later, supposedly safe ones are all black.

With regards to that Tamron 500 -- when you go to use it, take a stout tripod, a shutter release, and if your camera has mirror lock up, use it. It's my understanding that the Pentax MX takes interchangeable focusing screens. So if you're gonna use that camera with your Tamron 500, you might want to consider getting a plain matte screen for it, cuz a standard microprism/split image screen is just an annoyance when shooting with an f/8 mirror. Been there done that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Michael...I have been there done that with the Ricohs.... Meaning the split prism with a longer lens is hard work!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a pain in the butt! Back in the day I used slower telephotos so much that I just got used to using plain matte screens in my SLRs, and finally got to where I preferred them. Still do.

It's really cool that the MX takes interchanceable focusing screens, although after doing a bit of checking, it appears they're somewhat uncommon. Still, something to keep ones eye out for, though.

An undocumented feature I also ran across that I didn't know about is mirror lock up. Apparently many if not most Pentaxes with mechanical shutters share this quirk. Read more about it here:

http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-35mm/1299/Undocumented-Mirror-Lock-Up-On-Pentax-Spotmatics-ES-Cameras

I'm gonna give it a try with my KX.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
... An undocumented feature I also ran across that I didn't know about is mirror lock up. Apparently many if not most Pentaxes with mechanical shutters share this quirk. Read more about it here:

http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-35mm/1299/Undocumented-Mirror-Lock-Up-On-Pentax-Spotmatics-ES-Cameras

Awesome tip Michael! Thank you so much. The photographic possibilities have increased many-fold.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon 135mm/3.5 EBC in X-mount : 9.9 E !!! Laughing