Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this isn't a super good deal, but I got what I wanted, and if I play my cards right, I'll end up getting it for free or close to it. And I consider that to be a sweet deal any way you want to slice it.

I was the successful bidder on a Canon AV-1 outfit on Goodwill today:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6894557

The outfit consists of an AV-1, a 50/1.4 SSC, a Canon FD 35-70/4, a Tokina RMC 80-200, and a Vivitar flash. Everything looks really clean in the photos. I ended up paying $79 for everything, including shipping to my door. A little more than what I wanted to pay, but I really wanted that 50/1.4 SSC. I really don't have any use for anything else in the outfit.

After checking "completed listings" prices on eBay, I don't think it will be too difficult to get $80 for the camera, 35-70, Tokina zoom, and flash. I might even make a little money on the deal. Oh, and since I've got the 50/1.4 now, I can get rid of the 50/1.8 I currently own.

After viewing the recent thread on the FD 50/1.4 SSC here, and seeing just how great of a lens it is, I just couldn't help it. True, I don't have any digital cameras I can use it on -- well I have an FD adapter for my EOS, but it's usable only past about f/4 or so. But I have a couple of Canon FD cameras, and I'm looking forward to using it with them.

I'll post pics once the outfit arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My *ist DL $50 plus a Tamron 28-200MM also $50 equals $100 and was one SWEET bargain, no? Yeah, I know I already posted about it, but I'm so happy to finally have a DSLR of my very own I just have to go there again. Besides $100? I think I deserve to crow a bit more, grin.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hundred bucks for a 6.2mp DSLR? I'll say that's a good deal! Wow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

+1 Whish I could get that lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Yeah definitely a sweet deal! Congrats!

I have had some good finds scouring the web. I think my best finds thus far are:

1. Century Tele-Athenar 1000/5.6 - After finally getting ahold of Schneider (Now owns Century Precision Optics), they said it was a military contracted lens, probably sold for over $4k 10-15 yrs ago! I have a mount adapter on the way so I can use it on my dslr! Picked it up for $150.

2. One of the heavy duty manfrotto tripods in excellent condition and a Pelican case for $30.

3. Nikon 50-300/4.5 ED AI- I actually just got on eBay and found this newly listed in mint condition with original filter, leather case, cap, and hood. $250.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:

I have had some good finds scouring the web. I think my best finds thus far are:

1. Century Tele-Athenar 1000/5.6 - After finally getting ahold of Schneider (Now owns Century Precision Optics), they said it was a military contracted lens, probably sold for over $4k 10-15 yrs ago! I have a mount adapter on the way so I can use it on my dslr! Picked it up for $150.

Wow, incredible price! I know a little bit about these lenses, being that I own two of them. I even peripherally knew the president of CPO, Bill Turner, back during my camera dealer days some 15-20 years ago.

If the lens is white, it was military-contracted. If it's black, it probably wasn't. But it probably was used in the movie industry. CPO sold most of their optics to the movie industry and the military. Back in the 60s, photographers got wind of their optics and began requesting a line for 35mm still photography. CPO came out with the Tele-Athenar II line for still photographers. The main difference is the TA II's barrel does not rotate when the focusing ring is turned. The lens should also say it's a TA II if it is indeed one.

As far as its age, 10- 15 years ago is probably too young. I got the impression from talking to Bill Turner that, even though they still showed the TA lines in their catalog, they rarely sold one anymore, and this was the early 90s. So it's possible, but not all that likely that your lens is that young.

The first one I bought, a mil-surplus (white) 500mm f/5.6, I bought back in about 1990 -- 20 years ago -- and as near as I could determine, it was manufactured back in the 60s. I picked it up at a flea market, complete with a cool Anvil case, for $30. Shocked A couple years later, I picked up a 650mm f/6.8 in black crinkle finish, and I'm figuring it's just about as old. I had to pay real money for the 650, about $150 as I recall, but I still considered it a good deal. Not comparable to yours, though.

Good deal that you were able to find an adapter for T-mount for that lens. I guess CPO still has them, eh?

Anyway, according to my records, the 1000mm f/5.6 is a Tele Athenar and not a Tele Athenar II. It was made for movie work primarily and not specifically for 35mm photography. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I imagine it will take killer photos of the moon, for one thing. Here are a couple threads about moon shots with some pics I took with my CPO TA's:

http://forum.mflenses.com/moon-rise-t31745,highlight,moon+century.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,198364.html#198364

Oh, here's a blog listing on your bazooka I thought you might be interested in:

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2010/10/craigslist-mystery-lens-century-tele.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch -

Wow thanks for all the info! This gentleman I spoke with at Schneider wasn't all that talkative. I asked several questions and rather than simply saying he did not know (Since I'm guessing he did not) he would just answer one vaguely. I asked if this 1000/5.6 was used for cinema since I believe I stumbled across a link of yours with some info on the Tele-Athenar IIs which noted cinema as being their primary use. He said at 1000mm it was prob military (despite my describing it as black crinkle finish etc.). But you sound amply more knowledgeable about all this!

This is definitely not a TA II. As far as age, I was a little surprised when he said 10-15 yrs. I was thinking much older. So your assumption seems much more reasonable to me.

That's actually my blog! So the images there are the very lens I am talking about. I made a few test images today and can see this lens has some considerable CA. Is this pretty consistent with the Tele-Athenars you have used?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite find was a nikkor 35mm F1.4 AI for $110 at a used camera market a year ago. One of Nikon's finest.

Another really good find was a mint Jupiter 37A 135mm F3.5 for $20 at a flea market (right after I bought a well used one on the web for $60). Ordered a $30 M42 to Nikon convertor (with an infinity focus lens) on the web and am very happy with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
cooltouch -

Wow thanks for all the info! This gentleman I spoke with at Schneider wasn't all that talkative. I asked several questions and rather than simply saying he did not know (Since I'm guessing he did not) he would just answer one vaguely. I asked if this 1000/5.6 was used for cinema since I believe I stumbled across a link of yours with some info on the Tele-Athenar IIs which noted cinema as being their primary use. He said at 1000mm it was prob military (despite my describing it as black crinkle finish etc.). But you sound amply more knowledgeable about all this!

This is definitely not a TA II. As far as age, I was a little surprised when he said 10-15 yrs. I was thinking much older. So your assumption seems much more reasonable to me.

That's actually my blog! So the images there are the very lens I am talking about. I made a few test images today and can see this lens has some considerable CA. Is this pretty consistent with the Tele-Athenars you have used?

Back in my camera dealer days, I bought a surplus 1000mm f/5.6. It was US made, but it wasn't Century. However its construction was virtually identical. This lens however, didn't have a still camera mount -- it had some sort of cine mount. So I was never able to try it out. Sold it to an astronomer who was planning to use it as a telescope. As I recall, we discussed CA and he didn't seem to be all that worried about it.

Mine was huge, and it had a small steering wheel-like adapter for the focusing ring. It was definitely used in Hollywood, cuz I've seen ones just like this at a store in Hollywood that caters to film professionals.

So anyway, what I'm getting at I guess is that, yeah, the lens is gonna have some CA, but it wasn't enough to worry the folks in Hollywood, and besides, nowadays you can remove it pretty easily with Photoshop or the like.

I also am figuring that if you use it with a crop-body camera, well, not only will it have an even greater effective focal length but because of the smaller image circle with a crop body camera, much of the flare and CA and softness seen out toward the edges won't even be within the frame of view with a crop body camera.

Regarding that Schneider guy, you'd probably have been better off calling Century (like calling Hollywood directory assistance and asking for their number) -- or did you call Century and wind up talking to a Schneider guy? Far as I know, Century still has a shop in Hollywood. If you call 'em, ask to talk to the oldest fart still working there Smile He might be able to tell you something about them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is an interesting story... but I don't have the ending quite yet.

Back in July, I found a beautiful Spotmatic with S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4 in the original soft case at a thrift store for $15 or $20 (I can't remember which). I was mainly concerned about the lens, having accumulated quite a number of Spotmatics already, but when I got it in the car I took it out of the case and looked it over. On the bottom was a professionally engraved name and SSN. I happened to recognize the name, since the original owner is a local celebrity.

So when I got back to work, I emailed him to let him know that I now had his old Spotmatic (and to ask if he happened to have any leftover lenses or accessories for it). <-TIP

He responded (in part):
Quote:
Oh man...that camera has been around. I shot a lot of Indian stuff with it and in Europe when I worked for the Smithsonian. I almost hate to tell you...I think I threw some lenses away. But let me check. I had a mess of stuff for it...some nice long lenses, a fish eye, etc. It may take some time for me to find the box I had all that in but if I can find it, it's yours. Give me a couple days, okay?

SUPER nice guy! In a later email he said:
Quote:
I'll be sick if I did toss them, but... Jeez, I never have thrown anything else away in my entire life.

And still later:
Quote:
Did you happen to check around the Goodwill to see if they maybe had any of the other stuff? I just have no idea what I threw into the sack. Wife Linda was pressuring me to expunge, and so I was. But I will do some looking around....

That was the last I heard from him and I figured I would just let it lie, but then about a week ago I decide to email him again. I had begun reading one of his books and was enjoying it immensely, so thought I would let him know that and ask if he had ever had a chance to look for the stuff. He replied:
Quote:
I still haven't made it up the long, narrow stairway to the attic but I hereby promise I will do that this week. If I'm not back in a week, notify authorities....I have to go find my welding gloves and helmet and hazmat suit so I can go look for those lenses.

Then no more emails until yesterday:
Quote:
Your patience is rewarded. And HOW! I have for you...long lenses, doublers, wide angle, filters, unknown crap....and brace yourself...ANOTHER PENTAX!!!

And later...
Quote:
There are five lenses here, the long one is on the camera. I don't know if one is a fish eye but almost certainly a wide angle.

So, I still don't know exactly what he has for me, but I will soon. It also looks like I will be helping him with his next book project (so in a way I'm not getting the stuff for free). He has some woodcut prints that he needs photographed for inclusion in a book on the artist. I did copystand work in a previous life (with a 4x5 Crown Graphic mounted on a big old enlarger chassis) so I'm familiar with the principles, but this will be my first time doing it with a DSLR. Should be fun!

I'll let y'all know what he found, when I know. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot woot! Be sure to post progress reports on this!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
3. Nikon 50-300/4.5 ED AI- I actually just got on eBay and found this newly listed in mint condition with original filter, leather case, cap, and hood. $250.

Now THAT is a deal! You'll like that lens!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near-mint Pentax-M 50mm f/4 macro with its dedicated case for $6.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
Near-mint Pentax-M 50mm f/4 macro with its dedicated case for $6.

Shocked I need a few deals like this!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 70-150mm f/4 perfect glass with original hood and cap, $17 from KEH.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No major bargains for me recently other than:

Kiron 28/2 in Nikon mount for £24.00

Tamron SP 350/5.6 mirror for £50.00 Cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
No major bargains for me recently other than:

Kiron 28/2 in Nikon mount for £24.00

Good enough.
Quote:

Tamron SP 350/5.6 mirror for £50.00 Cool

Jammy sod!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those are both sweet deals, especially that 28/2 Kiron.

For me, my most recent good deal happened this morning. A Nikon TC-14b I won at auction on the 'bay for $29. It was mis-listed and I was the only bidder. Man, I love it when sellers mess up like that.

Click here to see on Ebay

There's another one on the 'bay just like it -- that wasn't mislisted -- that's closing in 19 minutes. It's sitting at over $103 right now. And this is typical of the prices I found for the TC-14b.

My first Nikon-brand TC. I'm looking forward to playing around with it. I'll let y'all know what soft of image degradation I find, if any, once I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What´s wrong with that listing? I can´t see anything strange, am i blind? Smile

I haven´t bought a real bargain yet, but there are many quite cheap findings - for example like new Olympus OM-4Ti with latest 50/1.8 and case for 160GBP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
What´s wrong with that listing? I can´t see anything strange, am i blind? Smile

It was listed under "Lenses and Filters" > "Lens Accessories" > "Other"

Most teleconverters, I think you'll find, are listed under "Lenses and Filters" > "Lenses"

This followng one, which closed for over $123, was listed there. Essentially no difference between the two TCs other than their listing location.

Click here to see on Ebay

It is for this reason that, when I'm searching for an item, I usually conduct my search from eBay's opening page. I have won several items for cheap amounts because of their being mislisted. Often, as was the case with the TC I just won, I was the only one who bid on the item.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my earlier thread. Got the box of free stuff tonight:

The camera is another Spotmatic II. It has a dent on the prism and a little brassing (nothing to write home about. But it appears to be in working order. Have not yet tested the meter.) The lens that came with it is another Super-Multi-Coated 50mm f1.4. - Yay! serial no 6122649. It is optically and mechanically in beautiful shape. Cosmetically average.

The other stuff is much more pedestrian:
An Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1.8 - serial no 89494
An Auto Camron 28mm f2.8 - serial no C32075
A Telesar 85-205mm f3.8 - serial no 488540
and a couple of oddball accessories:
A Dia Stone APE Telephoto Lens Adapter (basically an eyepiece that turns a m42 telephoto into a telescope)
A Spiralite Macrovar - Serial No. 714642 (looks like it gives you variable macro reproduction ratios when screwed into a lens that has a 49mm filter size). When you screw it on the 50mm it will let you focus down to about 1" in front of the front element at a 1:1.8 ratio. In addition there is a nice small changing bag in good shape and some filters including a couple of 49mm polarizers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lens but a very cool rangefinder in perfect condition, the Olympus 35RD for 6 euro and 20 cents (in fact, those are the sending costs). Usually sells for between 150 and 200 dollar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest = a hood for a Takumar 1:2.5 135 for $3...It was in a rummage box Cool Funny thing is I don't have the lens to fit it Laughing ..how sad is that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:

A Dia Stone APE Telephoto Lens Adapter (basically an eyepiece that turns a m42 telephoto into a telescope)

You sure it's M42? I have one of these -- Spiratone brand -- and it's T-mount. T-mount is also 42mm, just a different thread pitch.

I have a couple of long T-mount telephotos -- 500mm and 650mm -- and that little adapter actually does a great job of turning them into telescopes. Excellent for looking at the craters on the moon, or planetary observation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
My latest = a hood for a Takumar 1:2.5 135 for $3...It was in a rummage box Cool Funny thing is I don't have the lens to fit it Laughing ..how sad is that.

Hehe, sounds like me. Some time back, I scrounged up a Nikon Polar, a Canon metal hood, a cool Nikon hood for the 20mm f/4 UD pre-AI Nikkor lens, and a few other odds-n-ends out of a rummage bin at a local camera shop -- all for $20. Heck, just the Nikon polarizer is worth more than that.

Well, I mounted the polarizer onto my 50mm Nikkor, and the Canon hood went on my Canon 55mm, but the hood for the 20mm had no home. What to do? Heh. Ever since, I've been looking for a reasonably priced 20mm UD Nikkor. Haven't found one yet, but I will. And then my hood will have a proper home. Rolling Eyes