Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:

She presented me a foamed aluminum case with 2 Pentax Sportmatic F bodies with leather cases, an old flash gun,
a Super Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f/3.5
a Super Mulit-Coated Takumar 135mm f/3.5 w/hood
a SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4
an APS Auto Teleplus 3X
assorted filters.
I was there just to buy the 135mm for $15.
She was prepared to give most of it to me, but she was nice, in a walker due to knee issues, so I offered her $60.
Which she was happy about.

Great bargain! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
WNG555 wrote:
I would like to try some German and Russian glass, and envious of the selection and availability and price you folks in Europe have.

well, come on over, we have helioses and industars up the wazoo here Smile

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
I would like to try some German and Russian glass, and envious of the selection and availability and price you folks in Europe have.

Many Schneider lenses are abundant in the US and you should be able get some at cheap price.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lately these were my purchases:

biotar 30€
tessar 50/2.8 exakta 7€
czj 135/3.5 zebra m42 8€
auto cosmogon 58/2 m42 21€
konica ar 50/1.4 30€
konica ar 50/1.7+vivitar 28/2.5 No. 37xxxxx + tokina 135/2.8 50€

mostly they were packed with lots of other stuff,
which I don't mention

the biotar, I had to reassemble/relube first. I couldn't reach to a lens element in rear section.
Think, there is some fungus on it but I am not able to loosen the rear retaining ring.
Too tight.
Other than that, it takes really nice pictures. Love its character

regards
hasan

regards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here noticed that the manual focus Nikon 200mm macro is just about as rare as hens teeth these days? I look on eBay periodically and almost never find any, and when I do, their prices are way up there. From almost $400 to $700. So I've been checking out the Canon FD 200mm macro as well, which is probably every bit as good as the Nikon, but its prices are only slightly better, say $300 to $500.

Well, the other day, I found a Nikon 200mm macro on eBay where the seller was asking $225 or best offer for it. Besides having some scratches and wear, it's missing the tripod collar and there are a few spots of inert fungus under the front element. (He claimed the fungus spots were there when he bought it 10 years ago, and they haven't grown at all, thus they are inert -- or dead, in effect.)

Well, I decided to make an offer on it, even though his price was way lower than any other prices I'd seen on one. So I offered $180 and we settled for $195. Now, I don't know about you, but I think that's a great deal for a Nikon 200mm macro. It should arrived in a couple of days. I asked him about the tripod mount and he told me that he took it off because he felt that he didn't need it with his F4 (and subsequently lost it) and that it was a pretty light lens anyway at about 26 oz (728 grams). Still, I'll be using it mostly with my NEX 7 with its lightweight mount, so I think I'm gonna see if I can rig something up. Most, if not all, of those cheap Chinese tripod mounts I see on eBay are for too large of a diameter lens, but maybe I can rig some sort of thick shims that would close the gap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Yashica DSB 55mm f/2 in mint condition for USD:5+15 Shipping.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following in the wake of cooltouch....

I plunked down $44 USD at EvilBay for a nice condition Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens kit for Olympus OM mount.
I liked my Tamron mirror so much, I couldn't pass up this larger F.L. model. I hear it's a good performer. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'm still relativly new to MF lenses, but so far I've managed to get my hands on a CZJ DDR Flektagon 35mm f2.4 (M42) in mint condition with the leather case for 10€. The lens seems practicly unused to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redguy22 wrote:
Hmm I'm still relativly new to MF lenses, but so far I've managed to get my hands on a CZJ DDR Flektagon 35mm f2.4 (M42) in mint condition with the leather case for 10€. The lens seems practicly unused to me.

You scored big time! Brilliant lens, and and even more brilliant price. Wow!
The Mir-1 35-f/2.8 is a USSR copy of it. The copy actually won an award. And you have the original.

I was in search of a decent 35mm of f/2.8 or faster, and had to pay twice your cost for a Vivitar/Tokina model!

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Following in the wake of cooltouch....

I plunked down $44 USD at EvilBay for a nice condition Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens kit for Olympus OM mount.
I liked my Tamron mirror so much, I couldn't pass up this larger F.L. model. I hear it's a good performer. Looking forward to it.

Geez, that's a great price! I hope you've gotten a good one.

I don't recall if I've posted any comments on my latest Sigma 600 purchase -- I bought it a few months ago, off of shopgoodwill, I think it was. It's in EOS mount, which means it was one of the later ones. Using my NEX 7, I've been comparing it to my Tamron 55BB 500/8 and so far, the Tamron appears to be the clear winner in terms of both sharpness and contrast. But I have at least one group of photos where the ones I took with the Sigma are slightly better than the ones I took with the Tamron. I recall how, with the Sigma 600 I bought back in 1984 (and sold sx years later when I switched systems from Canon FD to Nikon), it took me a while before I was able to get good sharp images with that lens -- there was a learning curve involved. So I'm telling myself this same learning curve may still be involved with the new one. More than likely though, I just got a copy that isn't as good as my 1984 vintage one was. Which is aggravating.

So, here's hoping you got a good one! If yours is a good as my old one was, you should see good detail with a properly focused image that should hold up even at 100%.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Michael. Your last post on your Sigma was that you had to remove some sticky black gook on it.

I hope it works out too. At that price, not much at stake. Just glad it didn't get bid up like it does on evilBay.

The other possibility is that you have a very good sample of the Tamron. I noticed my best attempts have fallen shy of your Moon results. Of course, I don't have your skill/experience level. Just a tick off in sharpness.
If this Sigma can match the Tamron, I will be thrilled.

I forgot that we're supposed to post pics taken with our bargain finds. Here are a few from the past week's Moon phases.

First the Tamron 55BB...Full Moon and Waxing.

DSC01039a_Tamron SP 500 f8 55BB by wNG555, on Flickr
...aND fAR. dESERT mOON tONIGHT by wNG555, on Flickr

And the Sigma XQ 400mm f/5.6 that costed $1.25 due to haze. Turned out to be very little haze. Not bad for a S(t)igma.

DSC01027b_Sigma XQ 400mm f5.6 by wNG555, on Flickr
DSC00906_Sigma XQ 400mm f5.6 by wNG555, on Flickr

Another Tamron shot, this time from the 60-300mm 23A. I'm glad I discovered this zoom. Never fails to impress me.
A 300mm capture from a month ago at Yosemite. Open the original size version and you'll see two guys standing on the left of Half Dome!

DSC07727 - Tamron SP 23A by wNG555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a friend give me a box of cameras for free. Inside was a Topcon RE Super with a 58/1.4 in pristine condition. Cleaned up the camera and ordered a battery for it. Put the battery in and the light meter came to life. Running some black and white film through it now. Hoping there are no light leaks. Can't wait to see the photos.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Planar 100mm f/4 and Bellows for Contax, with papers and packaging, in new condition.

234 euros. Best deal of the year yet. Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
S-Planar 100mm f/4 and Bellows for Contax, with papers and packaging, in new condition.

234 euros. Best deal of the year yet. Cool

Great deal!
Usually a rig like that exceeds $2000.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a fabulous MD rokkor 50mm f1.4 attached to an XE-5 for 25€
Which is definately a bargain considering I bought it at a photography fair where prices are usually 2x higher than normal Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
I got a fabulous MD rokkor 50mm f1.4 attached to an XE-5 for 25€
Which is definitely a bargain considering I bought it at a photography fair where prices are usually 2x higher than normal Very Happy

Congratulations, that is a bargain.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

234 euros. Best deal of the year yet. :Cool:

Not especially cheap, but a great deal, nonetheless. I think that if I ran across a deal like that, it would be enough for me to start a Contax system. And for one who already has a Contax system, it's something of a windfalll, isn't it?

On a more personal note, at another online auction place, I spotted a clean lookng Canon AE-1 Program with an interesting lens attached. I really don't need any AE-1P's, but I've had my eye out for one of these Tamrons for some time. It's the SP 35-80, not a terribly useful zoom range to me, but this lens is brilliantly sharp. Sharper than many primes, if you believe the Modern Photrgraphy lens test over at adaptall-2.org. So I picked up the camera and lens, both in solid Exc+ condition, for $20. Shipping was another $15, so it cost me $35 for that lens, and a got a free AE-1P in the bargain, which I'll put on eBay and maybe get $40 for. Which means that I'll have not only gotten the Tamron for free, but that I'll have made $5 on the deal. Woot! I love it when I can pull that off.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an hour after I posted the above message, I bid on and won a Pentax LX outfit. Here's what I got: Click here to see on Ebay

I've been wanting to add an LX to my stable for years, but I've always been put off by the price. Honestly, I'm surprised this listing lasted as long as it did -- which wasn't very long -- maybe one day, tops, because I had just checked the listings the day before and this one didn't show up.

I bought the outfit for quite a bit less than a decent LX body sells for on eBay these days. I paid $205.50 + shipping. If I were to sell off everything but the LX, I would end up paying about $75 for the camera by itself. I plan to keep the extension tubes and the flash, though. The rest, I'll put on eBay and get what I can for it. I'll probably end up with a final cost of around $150, though, which is pretty spectacular for a Pentax LX, really. I'll post photos once it arrives.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find on the Pentax LX outfit, Michael!

I've just started to do the same instead of seeking individual lenses. Unfortunately, I'm sure the "professional pickers" are doing the same.

I won an Olympus outfit recently, but given the cost of $213 + shipping, wasn't sure if it fit the bargain standards here and didn't bring it up.

In a dusty old camera bag were:
Olympus OM-2SP body
Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8
Tamron SP 500mm f/8 55BB kit
Tamron 2x teleconverter on the 55BB
Tokina 35-200mm f/4-5.6 SD
Olympus 310 flash
2 halogen bulbs, probably for some studio lighting rig.

All the gear looked barely used. Only the bag looked aged and worn.
I'm going to see how this 55BB compares to my copy. And keep the better one. Mine has some scratches from an expedition through Maui (according to PO).

I wanted the 24mm for the longest time. But can't get one below $100, and got the Tamron 24mm in the Winter. Want to try out the 7-element 2x converter aimed at the Moon!

Given the individual prices on these, I think I'm still ahead once sold off.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about, $213 is a great price for that outfit. Add it up -- you're looking at pricing out the individual items at somewhere around $700-750. So that's a helluva deal.

You're like me, I have a 55BB, but I found another one in a local camera shop a couple weeks ago -- no case, but everything else was there. Paid $75 for it. It is eBay bound! I reckon I'll be able to get $195 for it without too much difficulty.

So, if you sell one of your 55BBs that'll almost cover the cost of that outfit. Sell that Tokina SD and you'll be money ahead. I love it when that happens.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm a poor student.. so I can collect/use lenses only by bargain Very Happy
My top 3 are:
Schenider-Kreuznach Xenon 50/1.5 m39 for Leica: Bought at 50euros, selled for 1600 euros Twisted Evil
Pentax-A 15mm f3.5: Bought for 80 euros, selled for 400 euros
Rokkor 58/1.2 + Rokkor 35/1.8 + 4 rokkor mid-level lenses: Bought for 90 euros (still have them)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a Canon FD 80-200/4 for $20 locally to replace my fungus-damaged copy. Arrived to discover an FD 80-200 L instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlessioG wrote:
My top 3 are:
Schenider-Kreuznach Xenon 50/1.5 m39 for Leica: Bought at 50euros, selled for 1600 euros Twisted Evil
Rokkor 58/1.2 + Rokkor 35/1.8 + 4 rokkor mid-level lenses: Bought for 90 euros (still have them)

well done !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlessioG wrote:
My top 3 are:

That's what all (smart) poor students do! I did the same...except it was computer equipment.
You did very well. And those Rokkors are excellent.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I found a perfectly decent Takumar 150mm F4 (pretty rare lens) for £3!!
Very pleased.

Then I found a Pentax K1000 camera with 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses for £50. I need to clean it a bit, but its just cosmetic stuff. After that I may sell it Smile