Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya-Sekor 4.5/250
Not dirt cheap (single digit dollars) like many bargains here, but considering its original purchase price it was a steal.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early KMZ Mir-1 for 15 euros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1955 Exa with Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan V 50mm f/2.9 for around 50 EUR:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 5.6/250 for 29ukp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Wow congrats! Was it a flea market sale?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

You lucky, lucky bar steward. That would have been perfect for the Airshow last weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was an ebay sale and no-one else bid!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Frankly, a slow (but heavy) lens that has no mount, tripod ring, and focusing system is just a 29ukp doorstop. No matter if the brand is Zeiss.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lot in a private sale for £30

A Canon EF fully working with a 50mm f1.4 SSC lens,

24mm f2.8 SSC,

50mm f1.8,

Miranda 35-70 f3.5

Miranda 75-300 f4.5-5.6 macro

Unitor 2x converter

Hanimex Tele-lens 200mm f4.5

Manuals, cases, caps for everything, holdall and accessories.

Everything is in mint condition with no brassing on the camera, the case may have to go as its a bit 'catty'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

24mm f2.8 SSC,

50mm f1.8,

Miranda 35-70 f3.5

Unitor 2x converter

Everything is in mint condition with no brassing on the camera, the case may have to go as its a bit 'catty'

Oh my donkey!
Seriously and embarrassingly great find.
Canon EF - one of my two all time favourite cameras and the lenses ............
You must have really done some very kind deeds in your life to have such wonderful karma.
Five stars from me
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Oh my donkey!
You must have really done some very kind deeds in your life to have such wonderful karma.
Five stars from me
OH

Wow, thanks! I'd never heard of the EF to be honest, when I worked in retail it was always the lower end models we sold, so its a good camera then?

It had the 50mm f1.8 on it, and when I looked in the cases I found the Miranda's, nothing special to me, then I opened a lens pouch and saw the 24mm and decided to buy it, the 50mm f1.4 was a clincher.

I offered £30 expecting to be haggled. I had £50 in my pocket, she agreed on £30 immediately. I probably could have got it cheaper.

We've had three millionaire lottery wins in my workplace in the last 6 months, so I reckon this was my slice of the luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Oh my donkey!
Five stars from me
OH

Wow, thanks! I'd never heard of the EF to be honest, when I worked in retail it was always the lower end models we sold, so its a good camera then?

It had the 50mm f1.8 on it, and when I looked in the cases I found the Miranda's, nothing special to me, then I opened a lens pouch and saw the 24mm and decided to buy it, the 50mm f1.4 was a clincher.

I offered £30 expecting to be haggled. I had £50 in my pocket, she agreed on £30 immediately. I probably could have got it cheaper.

We've had three millionaire lottery wins in my workplace in the last 6 months, so I reckon this was my slice of the luck.

Canon EF - vertical focal plane shutter - very big deal for its day.
Flash sync at 1/125sec (I thought that this was big deal at the time)
Mechanical shutter speeds from 1/1000 down to 1sec then electronically controlled up to 30secs - huge deal at the time.
Capable of metering at ISO3200 (if you could push film that far) again a big deal at the time.
Solid, beautifully built no nonsense get the job done every time camera.
And it was all black like the F1
Loved it

PS - forgot to mention its revolutionary feature of shutter speed priority auto exposure.
There was a huge debate in those days about which was best - aperture priority (Av) or shutter speed priority auto exposure.
No one was offering both yet, and the world settled into two camps Canon went for shutter speed priority and most of the rest went aperture.
Is it any wonder that Canon was preferred for sporting events as a result.
Incidentally - even today at sports events the numbers of white tele lenses dominate don't they.
Ahh good times great memories
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

24mm f2.8 SSC,

50mm f1.8,

Miranda 35-70 f3.5

Unitor 2x converter

Nice haul. That 24 2.8 is pretty nice! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF's are great cameras, the shutter speed dial hangs over the front edge to facilitate change while the camera is eye held. It was kind of considered a slightly lower spec F1 as a back up for the pro. The other great M/F camera of that time from Canon was the FTb with its quick load system. The EF is a nice solid chunk though and I prefer it to the F1.
Congrats, I'd have paid that for the camera alone, (not that I need a third model).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OH, I have a couple of large cameras now, I missed the feel and weight of the Nikkormat FTn when I sold it, the Minolta XE-1 made up for it and this Canon just oozes quality and solidity. I love it. I've got a nice set of lenses for each. Which to use?

The original owner kept all his receipts and manuals, and I keep finding little notes in the bags etc mentioning how to use the Hanimex with the EF as its an FL mount not an FD, when he changed the batteries (every three years), and other information like sunny 16 and exposure times for AG1 bulbs, he even kept the price label and kimble tag from the gadget bag. Which incidentally went through the washing machine successfully and smells fragrant now.

Oh! I am happy! And thanks for the positive comments, reinforcing my belief that I have a bargain.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Holy Smokes. Saw a Contax 193 on CL today, peeling and worn, but it had a Planar 50 1.4 on it that looked pristine. I talked the seller down a few bucks, $200 instead of $220, was her Grandmother's camera. I still agonized a bit, that's a good price but not the best ever for the Planar. When I got there, she said, oh yeah, I didn't mention it in the ad, but there's another lens in there. I felt around, Zeiss pouch, paid and left. There were 2 additional lenses in bag. Distagon 28/2.8 and Sonnar 135/2.8, mint with caps. My $200 deal turned out pretty good!

philslizzy wrote:

24mm f2.8 SSC,

50mm f1.8,

Miranda 35-70 f3.5

Unitor 2x converter

^^^ Brilliant stuff Smile One day I'll come across something like that.

I picked up a Yashica 50/1.9 for £15 & it is MINT!! The other week I also found on a local free ads site a Helios 44M, Helios 44-2 & Pentacon 1.8/50 which I managed to get for £15 the lot Smile Sold the 44M, quite like the Pentacon & undecided on the 44-2........ I might sell the lot & get a local 44M-4 I've seen yet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

I'd just like to go on record as saying that this thread makes me feel like I've ridiculously overpaid for every single lens I've ever bought, no matter what kind of bargain I thought I had at the time. I'm just waiting for the post "This guy paid me £500 to take off his hands his late model Summilux that was still in the box..."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
I'm just waiting for the post "This guy paid me £500 to take off his hands his late model Summilux that was still in the box..."

LOL me too! I was only considering to get a (broken) lens for 1/5 of its normal price but I already have found a post about getting that kind of lens for under 1/10 of its price.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my bargains really live up to some of these! Probably because most of these are from Ebay. Still though I try..

Chinon 50mm f/1.4 - £19 - Does have a slightly misshaped Aperture - not something I am going to attempt to fix

Pentax-ME kit with series of Pentax-M lenses in excellent condition - £52

Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 - £1 - Charity shop find, was very dirty and sold "as is" but cleaned up beautifully.

It's funny, I kind of thought buying and selling things like this would be good to make an extra few £ but I am finding it difficult to part with any!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abr_brs wrote:
It's funny, I kind of thought buying and selling things like this would be good to make an extra few £ but I am finding it difficult to part with any!

Don't I know it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider Xenon 1.9/50 for $29. Bid on a praktica - camera showed up broken, but the lens is nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-element tak for $22. I immediately sold it, took a girl out to dinner and used the rest of the money to buy an oiled Planar 50/1.7.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
I'd just like to go on record as saying that this thread makes me feel like I've ridiculously overpaid for every single lens I've ever bought, no matter what kind of bargain I thought I had at the time. I'm just waiting for the post "This guy paid me £500 to take off his hands his late model Summilux that was still in the box..."

A neighbor once brought me an old dirty plastic shopping bag. Summilux was not there, but Pen-F, a couple of OM-1's and silver Jupiter-9 were.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.Schacht Ulm Edixa-Mat-Travenar 90mm f/2,8 (M42 mount) for $73. Maybe not much of a bargain but I see them selling for $240 and more.

This is my best attempt Smile Usually I overpay for my items.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
CBokeh wrote:

A neighbor once brought me an old dirty plastic shopping bag. Summilux was not there, but Pen-F, a couple of OM-1's and silver Jupiter-9 were.

Seriously, that's great! Very Happy