Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are the advantages of full frame?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to lower pixel density and wide-angles working as they're intended, there are other advantages to FF that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

1) I dupe my slides; I don't scan them anymore. Right now I'm using an EOS crop body (XS, aka 1000D) and I have to use a combination of extention tubes with my 55mm Nikkor and a cobbled together slide holder to do this. The closest I can get with this combination still leaves a small border around the slide image, so there is some overall loss of image pixel count. With an FF camera, I can use a bellows with slide duplicator for an exact 1:1 reproduction.

A Canon 5D II, with its 21 mp 36x24mm sensor delivers 3744 pixels of vertical resolution, corresponding to the 24mm height of the sensor. Because there are 25.4mm in one inch, this translates into 3962 ppi (3744/24x25.4=3962.4), which is virtually identical in resolution to the best Nikon dedicated film scanners, which offer 4000 ppi. Given the prices that these scanners are selling for these days, one can buy a 5D II, a Nikon PB-4/PS-4, and an adapter, and have money left over. Plus, you've got a damned good camera to use, to boot. Like free of charge, if you were thinking about buying a Nikon scanner only.

2) From what I've been able to ascertain, when using MF lenses, the 5D and 5D II (and I'm sure other FF DSLRs of course) will show you in its viewfinder what is actually being seen by the sensor. None of this annoying bit where the focusing screen lies to you about the actual point of focus because of excessive observed depth of field, the way it does with some (most?) APS-C DSLRs. So this means you can actually focus your 50mm f/1.4 wide open without having to worry about using Live View to insure focus accuracy.

Along with my WA lenses behaving the way they're supposed to, these are the main reasons why I want to get an FF camera one day -- hopefully soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I found is that on FF cameras the viewfinder is much better.

Especially when compared to cheaper consumer models that use a pentamirror instead of pentaprism; there lies a difference as great as night and day (quite literally).

- Much brighter view, making MF in low light easier
- Wider view, not as if one is peering through a keyhole
- Better coverage, so you won't end up with more on the photo than you saw in the viewfinder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple to explain the advantage:

Distagon 15mm on full frame:

Distagon 15mm on APS-C:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it means that a 50mm lens looks like a 50mm lens. The crop factor irritates me and it's as simple as that; not DR, not ISO performance, not DOF, not anything at all to do with IQ, just my OCD. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many others have mentioned.

Less wide angle
Less dept of field
More noise and less dynamics

I compensate with my 7-14mm panny (af lens) on the wide side for m43 format Wink

On the other hand, some lenses are sharper in the middle (blury corners). You will then have a advantage with smaller sensors. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Very simple to explain the advantage:
Distagon 15mm on full frame:
Distagon 15mm on APS-C:

Laughing very illustrative explanation Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big viewfinder is one hell of a good reason, especially when talking about manual focusing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, did you crop a FF picture to APS-C size to show the crop factor is not in favour of Apsc dslrs ?
What about the IQ ?

It would be very interesting to see the difference between a FF and an APS-C, especially with such a great lens as your Distagon.

I read that APS-C Dslrs are less demanding with optical quality of lenses than Full Frame Dslrs.
Do you confirm ?
If so, would it be an advantage for other formats than FF when using MF lenses ?

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Orio, did you crop a FF picture to APS-C size to show the crop factor is not in favour of Apsc dslrs ?

yes Wink

Quote:
What about the IQ ?

IQ is always better in a full frame camera, due to the larger sensor area.

Quote:
It would be very interesting to see the difference between a FF and an APS-C, especially with such a great lens as your Distagon.

I can make a comparison if you like.
But I already know the result: the 5D Mark II image will be cleaner.

Quote:
I read that APS-C Dslrs are less demanding with optical quality of lenses than Full Frame Dslrs.
Do you confirm ?
If so, would it be an advantage for other formats than FF when using MF lenses ?

That is not something that depends on the sensor format, if not indirectly.
Lenses have a resolvance power, which is their limit. Sensors do, too.
So the resulting image will always be quality matched to the lowest common denominator, as mathematic professors taught us Laughing
In other words, the resolvance of the image will never be superior to the lower resolvance limit between the camera and the lens.
With most digital cameras (except for the super big ones like the new Nikon D800) lenses' resolvance often exceeds the resolvance of the sensor.
This unless you are using a really junk lens wide open Wink
So generally speaking, and with only a few exceptions, there will be no advantage in using a lower resolution camera with your manual lenses.
On the contrary, the better S/N ratio of full frame cameras will make all lenses look better, including the less resolving lenses.

Of course, sharpness is not only dependant on resolvance. It also depends on acutance (micro-contrast), which is the most important factor in a typical small print format.
Tests have proven that a lens with great resolvance but moderate micro-contrast looks worse in small print photo than a lens with great micro-contrast and moderate resolvance.
This is the reason why most people sharpens like crazy (and some beyond the reasonable) when resizing pictures - they get the thrill of the lens looking better than it actually is Wink
There are lenses - the first example that comes to my mind is that of Macro-Revuenon lenses - that have average resolvance but excellent micro-contrast.
These lenses in small prints usually look better than lenses with high resolvance but moderate micro-contrast (such as some uncoated pre-war lenses).
Of course if you print 70x100 centimeters, brute resolvance begins to make more sense... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio. Very Happy

Orio wrote:
So generally speaking, and with only a few exceptions, there will be no advantage in using a lower resolution camera with your manual lenses.
On the contrary, the better S/N ratio of full frame cameras will make all lenses look better, including the less resolving lenses.

That confirms what I felt looking at my 40D and 5D MkII pictures.
I was surprised by journalists' comments saying that 5D MkII is demanding higher quality lenses because that was not my impression when using my oldies. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

I was surprised by journalists' comments saying that 5D MkII is demanding higher quality lenses because that was not my impression when using my oldies. Wink

Probably journalists did refer to the crappiest autofocus lenses that you can find around for 50-100 Euros Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Probably journalists did refer to the crappiest autofocus lenses that you can find around for 50-100 Euros Wink

YES ! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply because there's no crop factor for me. And the viewfinder, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use full frame, but I do use a 1.3x crop (which is closer than my first DSLR). Two reasons, the primary one being a bigger viewfinder, which was enough that I'd have switched just for that reason. Secondarily, I have collected a number of manual focus 24-35mm lenses, but don't have many 14-20mm manual lenses, to get a "wide" angle one needs something in that range on a 1.5x crop. I don't use a lot of super wides, so my existing collection works well enough for me, on a 1.3x crop, and leaves the option of getting one of those Samyang 14mm if I decide to experiment a little.