Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What about the rust?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: What about the rust? Reply with quote

I took the Super Ikonta to a workshop in Bologna for defungusing. But what about the rust? This I will have to fix myself. Is there any suggestion that you can give me? How to remove the rust, how to stop it from progressing?
Any advice is welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different chemicals used for anti-rust coatings, but I have never heard of one of those being used for photographic gear, rather boats and the like...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the rust? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I took the Super Ikonta to a workshop in Bologna for defungusing. But what about the rust? This I will have to fix myself. Is there any suggestion that you can give me? How to remove the rust, how to stop it from progressing?
Any advice is welcome.

How bad is the rust and where is it? For general rust cure I use Phosphoric Acid - it turns the rust into Iron Phosphate which is fairly inert and protects the underlying metal from further corrosion. If it's just surface rust it can be cleaned off with emery cloth and then polished up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the rust? Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

How bad is the rust and where is it?

It is mostly on the frontal port, the one that opens to let the lens and bellow out.
It is quite bad it seems, but it should not be in direct contact with any camera mechanism, only exterior.

Farside wrote:
For general rust cure I use Phosphoric Acid - it turns the rust into Iron Phosphate which is fairly inert and protects the underlying metal from further corrosion.

How do you apply it, is it possible to brush it?

Farside wrote:
If it's just surface rust it can be cleaned off with emery cloth and then polished up.

Ok I'll try this first, what is emery cloth, is it like sandpaper?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the rust? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Farside wrote:

How bad is the rust and where is it?

It is mostly on the frontal port, the one that opens to let the lens and bellow out.
It is quite bad it seems, but it should not be in direct contact with any camera mechanism, only exterior.

Farside wrote:
For general rust cure I use Phosphoric Acid - it turns the rust into Iron Phosphate which is fairly inert and protects the underlying metal from further corrosion.

How do you apply it, is it possible to brush it?

Farside wrote:
If it's just surface rust it can be cleaned off with emery cloth and then polished up.

Ok I'll try this first, what is emery cloth, is it like sandpaper?

You can brush the acid on, no problem. I use a 15-25% solution. If you can't get it, a good source of supply is a farmer supply place. Have a look at this ....

http://www.totallytriumph.net/dcforum/DCForumID43/21.shtml#1

Emery board and cloth is like sandpaper, but is carborundum (silica carbide) grit on it - available in different grit sizes. You will find that in any hardware or car repair parts shop. You will need a very fine sheet, I'd think.