Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What about a FED-3?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another link about the fascination of Leica RF cams:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/24/070924fa_fact_lane

Great text!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a rangefinder camera but my father was an avid fan, he wouldn't look at my Praktica SLR! He replaced his old pre-war folder with a Werra 3 some time in the sixties (which he wouldn't let me touch) and later he had a Japanese camera with a selenium meter cell round the lens, like this Olympus Pen, except it wasn't. The meter needle was visible in the viewfinder and the aperture and shutter speed controls were mechanically linked, I think it's called a Light Value System (LVS). I've been racking my brain trying to remember its name.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, for a second there I thought you meant the Petri 7s which has
the Circle-Eye Sytem.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've never used a rangefinder camera but my father was an avid fan, he wouldn't look at my Praktica SLR! He replaced his old pre-war folder with a Werra 3 some time in the sixties (which he wouldn't let me touch) and later he had a Japanese camera with a selenium meter cell round the lens, like this Olympus Pen, except it wasn't. The meter needle was visible in the viewfinder and the aperture and shutter speed controls were mechanically linked, I think it's called a Light Value System (LVS). I've been racking my brain trying to remember its name.

Hi Peter, that Olympus pen was my dream camera long ago. Never got one...
I've requested my daughter to look in her house (she keeps a big box with plenty of oldies) for my Agfa Silette LK rangefinder. Not a high performant one, but I took really nice shots with it. I hope to get it back...
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, I've got two AGFA Super Silette RF cams, both are really fun to use.

AGFA Super Silette (lens: Solagon 2.0/50) / long exposure are too slow, but until 1/15 everything is OK

AGFA Super Silette Automatic (lens: Color-Solinar 2.8/50)

Hope, your daughter finds the cam!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Peter, for a second there I thought you meant the Petri 7s which has
the Circle-Eye Sytem.

Bill

Memory plays tricks, at least mine does. The 7s itself doesn't look familiar, but the peculiar film advance lever is certainly how I remember it. Maybe it was a different Petri model. I'll keep digging! Thanks Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kievs are very nice cameras too, the early ones at least are much closer in finish and quality to their Contax forefathers than the FEDs and Zorkis are to Leicas. Even the later ones are very pleasant, and the 53/1.8 Helios lens that comes on the Kiev 4am is probably the best normal lens you can get on a Russian rangefinder.

The 35/2.8 Jupiter-12, available in both LTM and Kiev/Contax mounts, is essentially a Carl Zeiss Biogon, a legendary lens and an excellent example of a formula that cannot exist on an SLR... the rear element is only a few millimeters from the film surface.

My recommendations for a good interchangeable-lens RF for the money would be the Zorki 4 (look for an early camera, serial number not higher than 65xxx) or the Kiev 4a or 4am. The 4a is prettier and more nicely finished, the 4am is a little more pleasant to live with and has a better normal lens. In either of these, of course, there is a chance of having some problems or needing some service or adjustment.... that's part of the fun!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
But, how about the very little Pentax 110 ( http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=17588#17588 ). Unfortunately I don't think that there exists 110 format film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_film

Had anyone any experience with this camera ?

I have a Pentax Auto 110. It's a remarkable, high performance, versatile little camera. Or it was, when you could get film for it: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-116.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
The 35/2.8 Jupiter-12, available in both LTM and Kiev/Contax mounts, is essentially a Carl Zeiss Biogon, a legendary lens and an excellent example of a formula that cannot exist on an SLR... the rear element is only a few millimeters from the film surface...

Agreed! I've got the J-12 for my FED-3b - it is a great lens!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found my father's old camera I'd been looking for. My mother has kept it in a drawer ever since he died in 1980 and there's still a half-used colour neg film in it! It's a LightOmatic III, with the maker's name Beauty Camera Co Ltd, Japan, stamped on the bottom. It has a selenium circle-eye meter with a needle visible on the top plate and in the viewfinder, a Biokor-S 1.9/45 lens with Copal-SV shutter (B to 1/500) and coupled rangefinder. Anybody familiar with this camera? My guess is that it dates from 1962 or 1963. It's quite heavy and solid and seems to be in perfect working order.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good. I found only this one but its an older model (might be similar?): http://yandr.50megs.com/light/light/light.htm

Other data: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Beauty_Lightomatic
http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Taiy%C5%8Dd%C5%8D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera, Peter,
So good you found it!.
But probably the film would be severely degraded after so much time.
Are you going to develop it?.
Best regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Nice camera, Peter,
So good you found it!.
But probably the film would be severely degraded after so much time.
Are you going to develop it?.
Best regards.
Jes.

No. I have no idea what might be on it, but there's still a hole in my life that my father used to fill, and I think it might be distressing, both for me and my mother, to see the last pictures he took. We talked about it and decided I should fog it, which has already been done.

She told me my brother has his 1930's Coronet folder camera, which I think probably took 620 film. It's only a very simple camera with a single shutter speed and a few f stops, but it has very sentimental value. My father had it with him through the whole of WW2, when he fought in North Africa and Germany, and we still have many prints from the photographs he took. I wonder where he obtained the film. I am happy for my brother to have it if he wants it, but I'd like to have a look at it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

No. I have no idea what might be on it, but there's still a hole in my life that my father used to fill, and I think it might be distressing, both for me and my mother, to see the last pictures he took. We talked about it and decided I should fog it, which has already been done.

I know how it feels Crying or Very sad

I am surrounded by my father's artworks, I can't avoid to see them everyday. On the other hand, this was his life, this is what he left me (this, and a honesty and humanity example to follow), so I must take care of it.

But sure, it hurts.
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:

I know how it feels Crying or Very sad

I am surrounded by my father's artworks, I can't avoid to see them everyday. On the other hand, this was his life, this is what he left me (this, and a honesty and humanity example to follow), so I must take care of it.

But sure, it hurts.
-

Dear Orio, maybe I was a bit thoughtless towards you when I wrote this, if so I'd like to apologise. I wish I could tell you that the hurt of losing your father goes quickly but it doesn't, at least for me it doesn't, even after 27 years. But really in my heart I don't want it to. I want to remember the love and respect we had for each other and the effect he had on my life while he was alive. I think you probably understand that and feel the same. I'm the same age now that he was when he died - that's a really solemn thought.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Dear Orio, maybe I was a bit thoughtless towards you when I wrote this, if so I'd like to apologise.

No reason, Peter, we can't escape from the things of life.

Quote:
I wish I could tell you that the hurt of losing your father goes quickly but it doesn't, at least for me it doesn't, even after 27 years.

Inside my heart, I know this. I am prepared for it.

I know that my life will not be the same anymore. But one thing that helps me, is to remember him when he had to face similar situations, like when his brothers died. I remember his great dignity and this particular way he had to quietly accept life in whatever it would bring.

I am more like my mother in that I have a spirit for fight and never want to give up, I took this from my mother. My father wasn't like that, not that he was weak, not at all, he was more, like, following the stream, instead of trying to swim against it.
He was sort of Zen in this, although I don't even know if he knew of the Zen philosophy, I don't think so.

Now that I am passing through this hard experience, I understand he was right. He knew how to accept the good and the bad, and to keep some distance from both.

He was such a great example, unfortunately I am completely different in character, and I have to make a great force against myself to try to do like he did. And I don't think I succeed.
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter! That is a GORGEOUS camera! I am anxious to see the output! Sounds like a lot of fun to give it some use! Cool