Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wet morning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Wet morning Reply with quote

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/9205/wetmorncj8.jpg

Planar 1.4/85 on EOS 5D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now I see power of Planar ! Excellent!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we certainly haved "turned over a new leaf" haven't we? Laughing
Great shot, Orio! Let's see a pic of that lens! Cool

Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the lens, held in my hand to give idea of proportions:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/6328/planar1485ap5.jpg

Quite heavy, lots of glass inside.
Pic taken with my faithful and beloved Volna-9 on the 400D.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Well, we certainly haved "turned over a new leaf" haven't we? Laughing
Bill

thanks Bill so I have learned a new expression! Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent colour rendition Orio.
That lens is a gem.

Sorin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...

As I said earlier (During your quiz Twisted Evil ), Planar is very different for leaves capture (I think you used the correct term, organic matters). You can tell with first site. And this picture is saying straight forwardly...
Dont know the technical reason...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ballu, I remember when you said that Smile you had a good eye.

Well I'm no technician either but like you, I like what I see. It's the Zeiss look, pages and pages have been written about that.

It does not result from any scientific test. Actually, Zeiss lenses are often humiliated by Leica lenses when it comes to line resolution (although to be fair, one also has to note that Zeiss is the only company who makes MTF tests from production lenses, not from prototypes like all other companies do)

Fact is that Zeiss lenses have a 3-dimensional look that many other excellent lenses don't. The reason of this is widely debated. There is even a thread going on about this subject on the Fred Miranda forum. Some say it's the macro-contrast, some say it's the bokeh, some that it's the combination of sharpness+zeiss bokeh.
What every body agrees about is there is something about these lenses that produces such results. I can see that with my eyes.

Zeiss lenses are not perfect under all respects. Some show some CA, others are soft wide open, like the PLanar 1.4/50mm. Yet, it performs with such a "airness", that it was elected best 135 format standard lens, over the Leica Summicron-R 50.

I think in the end it's a matter of character over perfection. If one wants the perfection, he has to shop for Leica lenses, that is for sure. I own some Leica lenses myself and I can see that they are the best, technically wise.

But I believe that at Zeiss they are no idiots, and that they could make lenses like Leicas if they wanted to. Instead, they have chosen to stay with their "secret recipe", their character and their shortcomings all included.
And I approve their choice. I hope they will never change. We need lenses with their own personaliy even in the 21th century. Because if you look at the major Japanese lenses of today, they are all perfect, but they also look all the same.

Heck, I think that most often than not, I would be able to tell a picture shot with a Zeiss lens from one that was not. But who could seriously today tell a picture of a Canon AF lens from one of a Nikon AF lens?

God bless Carl Zeiss!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like he said Orio Wow! is there any PP on that?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, that photo just jumps out at you. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 'tis a great shot. My only niggle is there seems to be some hot spots
from using a flash (?) If so, some flash diffusion would've been nice. Also
try focusing next time. I mean, the first time I opened the link the image
was so sharp it nearly cut my eyes! Laughing

Just kidding and it's still a superb shot! Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Like he said Orio Wow! is there any PP on that?

Just a little sharpening to make up for the resizing. Not much, because it was not necessary, the original was sharp and I did not want to ruin the roundness of the waterdrops and the softness of the bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Yes, 'tis a great shot. My only niggle is there seems to be some hot spots
from using a flash (?) If so, some flash diffusion would've been nice.
Bill

No, all reflections come from the sky. I don't have a flash for the 5D. Actually, I would like to have one. But the Canon flashes are too expensive, and I am not sure about third party flashes, as I have read they can burn the circuits.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy **********! that's sharp!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I just noticed that there's that staircase thing around the leaves!
Nevermind, those are serrations..huhuhuhuhuhuh Razz

Yep, it's a stunner! Surprised

Bill

ps looking at it today, those high spots add to the gleaming quality of
the leaves.