Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Were to develop 120 film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Were to develop 120 film Reply with quote

Very soon I need to find at good (and cheap) lab somewhere inside EU to develop my medium format films. I think I, a least on the beginning, will prefer to get my pictures on a CD.

Any recommendations or advises..?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the US, many mini labs will develop the 120 film, but that's all they can do. Some have the machines to print or put on CD as well, but that tends to be rare.

You can ask your local minilab if they do this. Developing only is cheap, but then you'll spend hours scanning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik, the cheapest I've seen is this company who do C41 and E6 processing on the island of Guernsey. They used to be the 7dayshop.com service but the name has changed. I can't see on the site if they accept orders from EU, maybe it would be best to check. I've never used this company.
http://www.dlab7.com/dlab7_site/web/

The lab I use is Peak Imaging from Sheffield in England. They definitely accept orders from EU and it's a VERY fast service. They send the film back in nice fileable archive sheets and include a mailing box for your next film. In UK they provide free postage but I don't this is available from Denmark.

Both labs will scan to CD for you. Hope that's helpful. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Henrik, the cheapest I've seen is this company who do C41 and E6 processing on the island of Guernsey. They used to be the 7dayshop.com service but the name has changed. I can't see on the site if they accept orders from EU, maybe it would be best to check. I've never used this company.
http://www.dlab7.com/dlab7_site/web/

I was going to use dlab7, but couldn't find any info about EU orders. I assume they will do it, but haven't tried them yet. I expect to pay a bit extra for postage, but since I've been dealing with 7dayshop, the main shop haven't been charging me much extra to post to Ireland.

Quote:

The lab I use is Peak Imaging from Sheffield in England. They definitely accept orders from EU and it's a VERY fast service. They send the film back in nice fileable archive sheets and include a mailing box for your next film. In UK they provide free postage but I don't this is available from Denmark.

Their prices are pretty ok if you're within the UK, but they quite definitely say they can't do free postage outside the UK. Their base cost of £1.25 or £2.50 PLUS £3.50 for EU orders soon adds up.
For example, if I want them to process-only a roll of C-41 120 it'll cost me £3.42 + £3.75p&p = £7.17, which is £1.50 more than it will cost me to have it done here by a local pro lab - no great surprise there, but that extra £3.50 is a stitch-up for Irish customers, since I know for a fact that postage on a single envelope containing nothing more than a sleeve of negs to Ireland is a Pound or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Their prices are pretty ok if you're within the UK, but they quite definitely say they can't do free postage outside the UK. Their base cost of £1.25 or £2.50 PLUS £3.50 for EU orders soon adds up.
For example, if I want them to process-only a roll of C-41 120 it'll cost me £3.42 + £3.75p&p = £7.17, which is £1.50 more than it will cost me to have it done here by a local pro lab - no great surprise there, but that extra £3.50 is a stitch-up for Irish customers, since I know for a fact that postage on a single envelope containing nothing more than a sleeve of negs to Ireland is a Pound or so.

Yes, you're right. I didn't expect Peak to be the cheapest around, but they do a very nice quality service, well worth paying a little extra for I think. I used a different lab for my first 120 film, a little cheaper but nowhere near as good service, so you do get what you pay for generally. When you find something good you feel like recommending it to others.