Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wedding photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Wedding photos Reply with quote

When my son got married he asked me to do the photos - which I declined (I'm not THAT mad) and I was then persuaded to lend my 5D Mk2 to the bride's brother who has a photography degree but can't afford that camera. I decided to take my Nettar 516 (5x4.5) folder for the service and the Pentacon Six for the reception.

When I saw what the brother/-in-law had shot with my Canon I began to think I should have accepted the first suggestion - and I thought maybe I was mad to have risked using the folder (I'm sure other guests had arrived at that conclusion independently).

Today the films came back from the processor in the UK and this was the first one I scanned:

So perhaps I wasn't so mad after all!

I am astonished with how well the camera (and I) coped, given low light in the ceremony and the need to guess apertures and focus distances, then shoot at something like 1/15s f4.5, even so the first few pictures scanned from inside the ceremony look acceptably sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice scan and very nice cheering wedding photo !

Your story seems very familiar to me Wink ... recently I had to
do with so called "professionl" photographers at a wedding and baptism ceremony, ... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them working
and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw their photographs. And I could't believe my eyes when I have seen their salary.

your brother will be very happy that your took your old camera with you ! Very Happy

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that gets me is the guy actually has a photography degree. He seemed to have two obsessions, one was to take all his photos at an angle of about 30 degrees from the horizontal, the other was to shoot all his portraits from about a foot away using the 24-70 lens zoomed as wide as possible.

He told me that he knew some people didn't like having horizons at all sorts of funny angles because they weren't artistic in that way, but despite that he resolutely ensured that he didn't get any straight. His sister spent ages trying to photoshop the pictures back level for her wedding book.

Come to think of it, he didn't believe in using flash when people were back-lit, either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
The thing that gets me is the guy actually has a photography degree. He seemed to have two obsessions, one was to take all his photos at an angle of about 30 degrees from the horizontal, the other was to shoot all his portraits from about a foot away using the 24-70 lens zoomed as wide as possible.

He told me that he knew some people didn't like having horizons at all sorts of funny angles because they weren't artistic in that way, but despite that he resolutely ensured that he didn't get any straight. His sister spent ages trying to photoshop the pictures back level for her wedding book.

Come to think of it, he didn't believe in using flash when people were back-lit, either.

May I ask where he got the photography degree from? Just to make sure to stay away from that school, you may never know! Laughing
Your photo looks very good considering the age of the folder camera. However, the Pentacon 6 photo looks much better (better contrast, better resolution).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know the P6 was better but I couldn't lug anything that big into the ceremony. The little Nettar performed very creditably.

I don't know where his degree was from, some college in the south of England, I believe. It's an accredited place, wherever it is.

I don't think I'll be taking a photography qualification now - the teachers probably wouldn't get on with me Wink