Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weatherproofing Canon EOS 60D/600D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Weatherproofing Canon EOS 60D/600D? Reply with quote

I'm buying a Canon EOS 60D or a 600D (depending on which handling I like more. Going to check back with my local electronics store next Monday) pretty soon.

One thing that bugs me with either one though: Neither one is exactly weatherproof/waterproof (not in the Pentax K-5 sense of the word Wink )

I'm now looking into ways to weather- and dustseal a DSLR and perhaps someone on here is able to help me.

My best option would be a solid hard case, that much I figured. Preferably an inexpensive one like the one presented by Camera Armor a couple of years ago. In fact, Camera Armor's Extreme series camera casing would be perfect. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any place stocking them, nor does Camera Armor even list them anymore. Did they abandon this series?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method is a clear plastic carrier bag. Make a hole for the lens to fit (tightly).

Simple & cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea. Not a bad idea and I thought about it before.
But I'd really like something more rugged and sturdy.

Kinda like this, but without the label that says vapourware.

Good idea, though. Will most likely go that route until I have found a hard case like the one above.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could always buy a underwater housing, of course. But this will seriously affect the handling of the camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are intending to take your camera that you need to protect it from water and dust? Where is this wet and dusty place? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's several places, actually.

First of all, I like me some tornado/blizzard/thunderstorm shots, right here at my place.

Secondly, I dream of going to Africa and/or revisiting the Australian rainforest some day.

All for which I would like to be prepared.

Lastly, there is this nice waterfall nearby that I would like to get some close-ups.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
One could always buy a underwater housing, of course. But this will seriously affect the handling of the camera.

Yea. And it ain't cheap either (we are talking about polycarbonate shells, I assume?)

That's why I liked the idea of that Camera Armor Extreme casing pictured above (cost factor: $100US before taxes). Shame they never released it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking.

Has anyone ever tried combining a Camera Armour* with gaffer tape?

I know, I know. Sounds kinda ghetto. But would it work?

*http://www.cameraarmor.com/