Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WARNING: New type of hacked ebay auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: WARNING: New type of hacked ebay auctions Reply with quote

I came across a new technique hackers use on ebay with faked auctions.

They use items listed with a Buy it Now (BIN) price ($2000 in that case) and I only
noticed it as I remembered the same pictures being used on other auctions.

It really looks like a genuine auction, but when you click on "Report Item"
on the right hand side, it directs you to Buy It Now, so it is obviously hacked.

Another sign is, if you list all items of that seller, it shows many similar auctions,
all high ticket and all having the same high BIN (648 auctions all with a BIN of
$2000 in the case I came across). Always rare and pricey items like musical
instruments, bicycles, HiFi, lenses, cameras....

AND, DO NOT try to ask the seller a question
, it asks for logging in into your ebay
account, although you are already logged in, this is phishing for your account + password!!!

If you ever come across something like that, be warned...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for that

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dr klaus. ive seen this, but never bid or made any inquiries, but they 'sameness' of different auctions aroused my suspicion...
tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING: New type of hacked ebay auctions Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It really looks like a genuine auction, but when you click on "Report Item"
on the right hand side, it directs you to Buy It Now, so it is obviously hacked.

Have they inserted a "Report Item" box into the description that looks like the real one but isn't (the real one will be in its usual place on the page), or have they really "hacked" and subverted the genuine "Report Item" button?

I suspect it's the former (which isn't hacking, it's deception), in which case report the listing to Ebay using either the genuine link or the report function from one of the support pages and giving the item number.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning. It would be helpful if you included the link to one such item as well. A picture is worth 1000 words...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Thanks for the warning. It would be helpful if you included the link to one such item as well. A picture is worth 1000 words...

I would hope that he's reported it to Ebay so that they have removed it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were removed from ebay.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt even look at something costing 2000 quid, bucks or euros so I'm safe!