Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Walk with Minolta MC ROKKOR-HH 35 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Walk with Minolta MC ROKKOR-HH 35 1.8 Reply with quote

A nice lens, but a little heavy on Nex3.

PROS:
1. Close-up capabilities - 30cms

2. Sharpess (2.8 and after comes quite sharp) and DOF

3. Colours and backgroud blending

CONS
5. CA (heavy purple and cyan, but simple to remove on PP)

6. Heavy and long for 35mm (mine is 2nd version 1973 - 1977)

7. One more photo... (death vs life)

What are your impressions?

Last edited by vlousada on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens but rather big and heavy.
If I think I don't need the speed I often take the smaller 2.8 with me.
I have the version with knurled metal focusing grip, purchased just some weeks before the model changed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I find that much CA unnacceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pictures, I'd have like to see some infinity shots as well though.

This lens is getting really expensive now. I could have afforded one a few years ago when I started with Minolta but I read on the Rokkorfiles site that the 2.8 has virtually the same IQ as the 1.8, so I opted for that instead. It's plenty fast enough for what I need but the extra 3/4 stop must be very useful at times.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could sob when I think how much Minolta MD and Canon FD lenses could be had for not that long ago, the joy has gone out of collecting manual lenses now, nearly every auction is sniped by several people and crazy prizes are very common.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Lovely pictures, I'd have like to see some infinity shots as well though.

This lens is getting really expensive now. I could have afforded one a few years ago when I started with Minolta but I read on the Rokkorfiles site that the 2.8 has virtually the same IQ as the 1.8, so I opted for that instead. It's plenty fast enough for what I need but the extra 3/4 stop must be very useful at times.

I have both lenses and the 35/1.8 at f/2.8 is sharper than the 35/2.8 wide-open, at f/4 and beyond both are about the same...maybe the 35/1.8 is a bit sharper, but I prefer the 35/2.8 rendering

btw, I'm selling my 35/1.8 Rokkor, I think it's too soft wide-open for my taste

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions..

Bought it about 1 year ago. Quite expensive already!! I was willing to convert it to use on 5d2, however the asking price for the conversion was high (about the some price of the lens) and I gave up... At least is usable on Nex Smile

Here some shots at Infinity or close...
In my opinion not the best 35mm at this point. Distagons and Zuiko are much better!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:
In my opinion not the best 35mm at this point. Distagons and Zuiko are much better!

Well, you're probably right that they're better, I don't have them to compare, but not "much" better. I could probably say the same about the Flek 2.4/35 or my Pentax-M 2.8/35 which has really surprised me.

No 10 is real cracker, thankyou! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close up, excellent to my eyes and not bad for landscape shots either!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
vlousada wrote:

Well, you're probably right that they're better, I don't have them to compare, but not "much" better. I could probably say the same about the Flek 2.4/35 or my Pentax-M 2.8/35 which has really surprised me.

Yes, maybe not much better. Anyway my basis for comparing was wrong from the start!!
(The shots I was thinking for Distagons and Zuiko were taken with Canon 5D2, and could not use this minolta on same camera).
I have a bunch of 35mm, so better test all them in Nex, since most of them cannot use on Canon.
I believe that on Nex this Minolta MC would not be much less then Distagons. I predict it will match the Fleks, the Zuiko and the FD's and way better the than some others I Have (MIRs, Soligor, Meyer)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opionion the Zuiko 35 f2 is not that good altough it's sharpness is balanced across the frame it's not that sharp at first apertures.

I think that for digital the best 35 f2 balancing all focusing distances is the Chrome nose Canon 35 f2. Aberration and sharpness is amazing starting from f2, in fact I think that it can be not so far at f2 from the Nikkor 35 f1.4 (I've not tested this one). I' ve just tried the OM, Pentax K, and Nikkor 35 f2 and the Canon is better on digital.

On film of course the yellow color cast can be a big minus for color work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Close up, excellent to my eyes and not bad for landscape shots either!

I'd have to agree, the close up seems to be where it's performing at it's best, I not so sure on the landscapes though they seem to lack a bit of pop. If this lens is as expensive as is claimed I think I would give it a miss. Thanks for sharing Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good enough I think.

I had the MD version, smaller and lighter. I like it's rendering so far, but still needs more time to explore it's character.

Rokkor MD 35/1.8 is on the left.