Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

W-Komura 24/4 - Now with Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not at all mind, Macca, join in. I don't recall seeing a convex rear element quite so convex. Is that a MIR next to it? This will be the widest lens I have. I have one other, a Vivitar 24/2.8, but needs adjustment for infinity, so I haven't used it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I do not at all mind, Macca, join in. I don't recall seeing a convex rear element quite so convex. Is that a MIR next to it? This will be the widest lens I have. I have one other, a Vivitar 24/2.8, but needs adjustment for infinity, so I haven't used it.

Yes its fixed, prominent and the most convex rear I have in my small collection.

Thats a Helios 44 2 next to it, I thought most folk would be familiar with the Helios in terms of size and bulk so it gives a sort of perspective on the Komuras size. I haven`t really given it a proper run out, but hope to do so when the spring comes. You have good light and wonderful compositional skills, I hope your lens is as good as I think it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Wild Kevin reference nevertheless i think you have found something quite precious. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that guy must be on drugs. $600? No, that's crazy Mine just arrived and is in as pristine condition as it appears in the pictures. We'll see over the weekend what it can do... that is unless someone wants it for the discounted price of $500. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lens what is a bit rare ending at him and he is one of the most famous multiply more seller.. some times he has 8-10 pcs from same rare lens . I use his as reference cut his price to half or third , that is market value from well known vendors like Zeiss.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out this weekend, but it wasn't until mid afternoon on Sunday as the sun was getting low. The weather yesterday was bad - it seems some English weather drifted across the Atlantic and didn't begin to clear until today. Images may be slightly cropped and processed with contrast adjustment and maybe color on just a few. I made no correction for distortion as it wasn't very apparent.

Last edited by woodrim on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better than I expected and a decent lens.

Less good light is okay for testing lenses I find as it really sorts the men from the boys, a lens that is good in good light might not be good in bad light, only the best lenses are able to shine in bad light I have found. Way the weather has been this year, bad light has been my almost constant companion/foe this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Looks better than I expected and a decent lens.

Less good light is okay for testing lenses I find as it really sorts the men from the boys, a lens that is good in good light might not be good in bad light, only the best lenses are able to shine in bad light I have found. Way the weather has been this year, bad light has been my almost constant companion/foe this year.

+1 very nice presentation!

Remark regarding the weather: what is generally considered good weather (bright sun) is in fact bad weather for vintage lens. Especially if testing is done at wide-open aperture Wink.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this looks great! And such good condition too! Congratz Wink

Which of the houses in #3 is yours? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures look really nice for such an old wide angle! What camera did you take this with? I'd like to understand if this is crop size or full frame. Another day, when the sun is out, is it possible to take some pictures to show how the lens flares? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count photographer too LOL, congrats! You are like Louis makes every lens to GOLD.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Attila, very kind.

Nordentro: No, my house isn't on the beach. That is at Sullivan's Island where the Oceanfront homes are a few million $. Those homes, especially the one with the brown roof, have been losing the beach in front from erosion. This stretch of beach was quite normal just five to ten years ago, but then something changed. High tide now delivers the ocean to their door steps and the standing water you see in the picture remains trapped at low tide while the waves break much farther out. Soon those houses will be taken by the sea. They can be had cheap if anyone wants beachfront property. As an aside, the concrete structure seen on the left in the forefront is a civil war canon platform, although now mostly buried in sand.

Diddy: Will have some opportunities over the Christmas holiday when my brother visits and we both go out clicking pictures.

Last edited by woodrim on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the natural colours these komura lens produce. Hope to see more in other light conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
The pictures look really nice for such an old wide angle! What camera did you take this with? I'd like to understand if this is crop size or full frame. Another day, when the sun is out, is it possible to take some pictures to show how the lens flares? Thanks.

diddy: I use the NEX-5N, an APS-C sensor. Sun was out brightly today and son is visiting, so went out to lunch, then pictures. Left the sun shade off and ook some pictures into the sun for you. Got the usual type of flare, but it didn't affect contrast.

2. This photo was a deep blue and very contrasty before making adjustments

4. Siblings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones again, #3 and #4 especially good, #3 looks a lucky capture to me I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for providing these samples! I think they look very good. As you mentioned as well, there is no loss in contrast visible, which is certainly very welcoming. And the flare patterns look not too distracting.
Later on Komura went on to produce the Komuranon 24mm f2.5 lens, which must be extremely rare, as I have never seen any sample pictures of it nor does it show up on auction sites.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned the distant shots with flare were taken at f/8. You can see how the multi bladed diaphragm has a unique appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used this lens very much, mainly because I prefer long lenses. I had it out theother day because it was day 24 of the year and I was participating in the Dyxum Day challenge. Hmmm, day 28 now - that'll be a big one.

Here are some that I took on the 24th. I had not remembered that the lenses focused to about five inches from the glass.