Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VOTAR 4.5 400mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: VOTAR 4.5 400mm Reply with quote

anyone know about this lens??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen one but from what I have read about them Votar lenses were exported and rebranded Piesker lenses made in Berlin mainly for Exakta cameras although I have seen them listed with various other mounts but they are probably converted.

As for the quality, like I said I've never seen one so I have no idea, sorry, if you have the lens it would be interesting to know some more about it.

As I said before, I'm just going off what I've read so if I'm wrong don't shoot me Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont't think that they are rebranded.
Afaik Piecon, Tele-Piekon, Voss, Votar and
Tele-Votar were the original Piesker brand
names (so I would expect this one to be called
Tele-Votar Smile)

I guess this one is looking nice silver and black?
Black "tubus" and silver focus and dia-rings?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely new to me! Thank you Cobalt!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were rebranded but obviously not Smile either way, how is the image quality? I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures from one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a Tele-Berlin.
If you have a picture to post up I'll be more precise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is one available on ebayUS. i'd never heard of the brand.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220139732584&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking lens and pretty fast. No idea about the quality I expect average quality , not easy to make good lens in this focal length, but who knows ...
I have a Novoflex 40cm lens only with two glasses and quality is really excellent! I like very much my Sigma 400mm f5.6 lens if you need one for photography select instead Sigma. If for collecting this lens would be a good choice. Not so much fun to use old and heavy lenses from hand (I hate tripods)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just caught my eye as i've never seen one before. i've got a takumar 500mm, f4.5 so i don't need it. i had a sigma 400/5.6 and it was a dog.. i've also got a tamron 300/2.8 in the mail that will give me a 420/4 with a 1.4x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see I did a little research I not find any information from this lens and i got very limited information from the maker too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to come across another new name. With its bright metal bands it looks quite similar to the Killfitt 400/5.6 Tele-Kilar.

Click here

The Tele-Kilar, mounted on an Exakta camera, was used by James Stewart to spy on his neighbour in the Hitchcock film "Rear Window". The movie was shot in 1954, so I would imagine the Votar is from roughly the same period.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this lens came from same age I guess more rare and perhaps quality is less. Unfortunately this lens has US shipping only and I guess shipping cost at least 60 GBP to Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?60.00 !!! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent to the States from Hungary a Pentacon 500mm f5.6 lens for this shipping cost one year before. I guess this lens also pretty heavy, Pentacon weight 3.5 kg + leather case+packing material.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that it's not a Tele-Berlin.