Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna 9 vs Ind. 61 L/Z vs S. Macro Tak. distance & bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Volna 9 vs Ind. 61 L/Z vs S. Macro Tak. distance & bokeh Reply with quote

Both shot wide open with flash Wink
It's pretty big difference in magnification of these two lenses don't you think?

Corrected after some comments: focus distance test for maximum magnification may be a better sentence. Wink

Edit: added Super Takumar as well Wink

Industar 61 L/Z

Volna 9

Super Macro Takumar

Last edited by Nordentro on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:18 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they shot from the same distance?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Were they shot from the same distance?

Rolling Eyes

There is a difference in the minimum focusing distance between the lenses, that's all. They're both 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you need to clean your keyboard Wink

as for difference in magnification, industar's minimum focusing distance iz 30cm and when you set volna to the same distance magnification is the same, it's only when you go to the volna's minimum focusing distance of 24cm that magnifications is bigger. so your test isn't really fair to the industar , sharp little lens that could

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Dude, you need to clean your keyboard Wink

as for difference in magnification, industar's minimum focusing distance iz 30cm and when you set volna to the same distance magnification is the same, it's only when you go to the volna's minimum focusing distance of 24cm that magnifications is bigger. so your test isn't really fair to the industar , sharp little lens that could

Yeah, it should be called focus distance test Very Happy

Same distance projects the same size of the picture Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: added Super Takumar as well Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also shows bokeh difference. Industar, which is in fact tessar corrected for maximum speed (f/2.8 ) shows less pleasant bokeh than Takumar, which is also based on tessar formula, but without the extreme corrections (f/4). Volna, which has 50% more optical elements to achieve the same speed as Industar (f/2.8 ) can use less agressive corrections and produce the smoothest bokeh of the three lenses Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
It also shows bokeh difference. Industar, which is in fact tessar corrected for maximum speed (f/2.8 ) shows less pleasant bokeh than Takumar, which is also based on tessar formula, but without the extreme corrections (f/4). Volna, which has 50% more optical elements to achieve the same speed as Industar (f/2.8 ) can use less agressive corrections and produce the smoothest bokeh of the three lenses Smile

Good comment! I didn't thought about bokeh difference. Added to the title Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, but what does "corrections" mean in the sense that you used it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me but the minimum focus distance written on the lenses tells me there is a difference in magnification at closest un-aided focus distance.

To compare lenses shouldn't magnification be equal? I would test each on bellows at 2:1 to show resolving power difference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Forgive me but the minimum focus distance written on the lenses tells me there is a difference in magnification at closest un-aided focus distance.

To compare lenses shouldn't magnification be equal? I would test each on bellows at 2:1 to show resolving power difference.

Good idea Very Happy

I only have bellows with m39 mount, but I'll figure some out to test it properly from the same distance. Maybe I'll test all three from 0,3m! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

I'd have to disagree. Industars' bokeh is better, cause it separates object from background. Takumars' no to much.

Agree that this test isn't objective. You can compare Takumar and Volna, but not Industar, cause of different distances, which affects bokeh and background separation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar is faster and the distance is different.

Anyway, check the OOF light characteristic - it has hard edge and hard dot inside the circle. It causes double-lining which is visible on button edges. Notize the "Z" and "X" letters. They are not blurred, but look jittered.

Takumar is better, OOF light has less hard edge and less significant dot. Double lining is lesser because of that.

Volna's OOF light has extremely soft edge and no structure, it blends with the background perfectly. There is no double lining, objects in the background aren't jittered, but blurred and perfectly smooth.

themoleman342: I think shape of OOF lights and bokeh quality is related to corrections of astigmatism... with a few lens elements the correction must be more agressive and isn't possible to implement it without negative impact on bokeh... that's why fast tessars and fast triplets show the typical rings in bokeh, or double-lining artifacts (when used wide-open)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Industar and the Volna and I kept the Volna.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new test from same distance Very Happy

@ f2.8

Industar 61 L/Z

Volna 9

@f4
Industar 61 L/Z

Pentax Super Macro Takumar

Volna 9