Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-9 closeup sample
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Volna-9 closeup sample Reply with quote

I shot this one this morning, upon request of Attila. Some moderate sharpening applied after resize:

direct link:
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7132/volna9melissare1024yi2.jpg

The Volna-9 really shines at close-up. It doesn't really perform as well when used as a normal 50mm. It is really optimized for close-up shots. When used close-up, it is one of the sharpest lenses that I have; when used for normal photography, it falls into the "average" hole.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Volna-9 closeup sample Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The Volna-9 really shines at close-up. It doesn't really perform as well when used as a normal 50mm. It is really optimized for close-up shots. When used close-up, it is one of the sharpest lenses that I have; when used for normal photography, it falls into the "average" hole.

*wow*
Sharpness and contrast together with the image size produces a three-dimensional effect. I have to look twice if she really didn't move Smile

Think I have to give my Volna9 another try. I tested it together with other 50mm lens, but I was a little bit disappointed in comparison with the industar 61L/Z. Perhaps the "average hole" you mentioned.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what an eyes!! EXCELLENT!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Volna-9 closeup sample Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

Think I have to give my Volna9 another try. I tested it together with other 50mm lens, but I was a little bit disappointed in comparison with the industar 61L/Z. Perhaps the "average hole" you mentioned.
Michael

I have verified a big performance difference when focused like a normal 50mm. (like, 5 mt distance or more) compared to when focused close.
I'm talking about impressions, I have not made a test.
When used as a normal lens, it does not impress me more than most of my standard 50mms.
When used close-up, I think it's maybe my sharpest lens, or if not, very close to it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow what an eyes!! EXCELLENT!!!

A thing about Melissa is that differently from most cats, her eyes shape are not much "almond-like". When wide open, they can be almost round, like the eyes of a tiger.
This makes her much "photogenic".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a law for taking pictures like this. Cool

Yes, Melissa is very photogenic! Even lousy photographers like Orio
look good taking her picture...I'm kiddin', and jealous. LOL

Bill

the detail, I can count every hair on the tip of her left ear!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this lens is sharp...ouch!

Very nice shot, Orio!

Carsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another picture from Volna 9 on 400D. A blooming Blackthorn:

direct link:
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/6049/volna9blackthorn01am5.jpg

Picture shot at f/8 or f/11 (can't remember)
Note the HUGE thorn top left!

A 100% crop of the above, not sharpened:

direct link:

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/2074/volna9blackthorn01dof3.jpg