Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5 milky cement
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5 milky cement Reply with quote

I know this is not a "real" Heliar, but I digress.

I bought one of these lenses for $150 in M-mount knowing that it had some milkiness inside. I thought it was just something I could clean off (I have a lens spanner..) but it turns out the milkiness is in the cement in the 4th group (the cemented achromat).

It doesn't seem to have a terrible effect on image quality, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to decement and recement that doublet. This is a modern lens so am not sure if it still uses canada balsam or some UV epoxy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly UV epoxy. Apparently soaking in methyl ethyl ketone can dissolve it. The fumes of MEK can also destroy your liver (fatally) in short order -- be very careful about where and ventilation.

But might be worth seeing if you can buy the group as a replacement part.