Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander 90/3.5 - First Shots and Impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Voigtlander 90/3.5 - First Shots and Impressions Reply with quote

I took the film I shot earlier today over to the Walgreens and had them machine process and provide
scans via CD. I didn't expect much in quality with the "automatic" processor, but actually I am pleasantly surprised.

These are my first tries with the 3.5/90 and Bessa-R. The 90 is INCREDIBLY sharp, and in fact I am wondering if it might be
too sharp for portraiture in some cases, although I guess I could process face shots in Photoshop.

Remember, this is pretty much "quickie processing" and batch scanning on the Walgreens machine. I will be
interested to see how my V700 handles the scans.

Here are some impressions:

a) The lens focuses smoothly, it's like butter.

b) The click stops are intuitive and are just right in their tension between clicks. Really nice.

c) The long "tunnel" of the hood gets in the way of about 25% of the 90 framelines. Without the hood, only a very
small fraction is cut off.

d) The 90 framelines are difficult to frame with, and the corners get lost at times. It will take some getting
used to. Okay if you are not in a hurry. I can see the value of a separate viewfinder.

e) The viewfinder of the Bessa R is very, very bright.

f) The balance with the 90 mounted is very good.

No additional processing:

Test shot - BWCN 400 - f:11 and 1/30 - slight overexposure, should have
compensated for the brightest leaves

Test shot - BWCN 400 - f:5.6 and 1/125

Test shot - BWCN 400 - f:5.6 and 1/60 - Very very sharp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked The detail is just stunning, Larry! Congrats!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow! Shocked The detail is just stunning, Larry! Congrats!

Bill

Bill, that is what I thought too. I looked at the negative with a loupe first, and thought, "boy I think that one is going to be sharp". When I brought up the scan, I was pretty much surprised. The lens seems to be on a par with the best "out there".

I do wish that the Bessa-R body was as solidly built as the lens; however, it looks like I might have a good combination here.

I will try some more shots, but with the lens wide open this next time, and try to see how the bokeh is doing.

As indicated, I will scan with my V700 at highest resolution (4800dpi and 70MB file), and maybe do a very slight Unsharp Mask, and slight contrast adjustment, just to see what can be done. But actually, I think this last image is just fine. I am happy!

Last edited by Laurence on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! that's great.
'slight overexposure' doesn't exist on negative, it's probably a choice of the scanner to boost contrast
I am also curious to see what the V700 can do with b&w vs Walgreens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it is crispy sharp
This lens must be the same formula as Patricks reflex version.
I would agree that it is not a Portrait lens.
It should be perfect for your Lanscape work and Rain forest details.
Using longer lenses on Rangefinders is a bit of an adventure to be sure.
I've experience the same issues with framing and comp.
The little window starts to get really small when you have a 85 or 90 on the camera Laughing

I hope that you don't judge all the Bessa's by the original R or L.
Those two cams are inexpensive and built that way.
The M mount Bessa R2,3,4's are much more solid cameras with cast magnesium frames and burlier construction overall (and price).

I actually have wanted to get an R again for it's lightweight and native screw mount.
If you get to a point where you want to let it go check with me (trade possible as well).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.

I have L-mount APO 90/3.5, haven't used much since it is a tele-lens!
People love it, for it is sharp and has close focus ability and APO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats! that's great.
'slight overexposure' doesn't exist on negative, it's probably a choice of the scanner to boost contrast
I am also curious to see what the V700 can do with b&w vs Walgreens

Yes, poilu, I too am curious about the V700...frankly, I'm not all that sure that I can make the scan come out better than the Walgreen's scan. Shocked I love the V700 for medium format, but I think it falls short on 35mm scans (for me anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f16sunshine wrote: I hope that you don't judge all the Bessa's by the original R or L. Those two cams are inexpensive and built that way.
The M mount Bessa R2,3,4's are much more solid cameras with cast magnesium frames and burlier construction overall (and price).

Yes, I was not surprised that the R was lightweight, as I knew it was basically an L body with a few more features.

I am not disappointed, though I did expect a BIT more solid structure. It's just a matter of usage, and I know to be careful. If I DID happen to take it on a more strenuous hike, I would take care accordingly. Even Gandy's site talks about the more robust build of the R2, 3, and 4 series, and I have no doubts that they are quite burly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Nice shots.

I have L-mount APO 90/3.5, haven't used much since it is a tele-lens!
People love it, for it is sharp and has close focus ability and APO.

Thank you, koji. I assume you simply don't take many shots with the longer lenses?

But even so, I would love to encourage you to try some shots and post them here. I would covet having some more comparisons with other lenses, as the more information I have, the better decisions I can make on what to keep. The rangefinder world is new to me.

Besides, koji...we ALL covet your images! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saw great quality pictures from this lens and your copy is no exception, Larry!!

As for the "3D", it is difficult for me to judge it on B&W pictures. I'd really need colour pictures.

Congrats on your new toy! This lens is in my wishlist since long time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding photos. This makes me dreaming about trying again film camera. I remember entire darkroom "mystery" and the moment when new image started to appear. Long, long time ago. Of course now there are photo labs, one hour service, even coupons to get everything cheaper. But for me analog and BW photos is something what I miss a lot. Pure photography....