Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
For those who would like a cheaper alternative to this lens, that is every inch as good... here's a Contax Sonnar 3.5/100 MM version, sharp as Zorro's blade:

Click here to see on Ebay

With this lens you could not tell wide open from stopped down if it wasn't for DOF.

Sure looks like a very nice piece of glass; although unless you're thinking about the 125/2.5, I beg to differ on the price; voytek got his BNIB copy from me for $320 + shipping Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
For those who would like a cheaper alternative to this lens, that is every inch as good... here's a Contax Sonnar 3.5/100 MM version, sharp as Zorro's blade:

With this lens you could not tell wide open from stopped down if it wasn't for DOF.

I fully agree with this recomendation. One of the lenses that everyone should try and find.
Here is another on US ebay. A bit cheaper at $310.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will rather stay with Lanthar.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

Sure looks like a very nice piece of glass; although unless you're thinking about the 125/2.5, I beg to differ on the price; voytek got his BNIB copy from me for $320 + shipping Smile

A person asked about where to buy a copy of the lens and was pointed to Cameraquest, but he said he has a problem with the price.
So for him (and for others) I suggested the alternative that is cheaper than Cameraquest's lens.
I would surely not suggest it to you, and neither to Voytek, since both of you already have the lens.
I assumed this was obvious and would come without saying...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I assumed this was obvious and would come without saying...

And I got it this way. I wrote no more that I have already Lanthar, is good for me - so I will stay with it. It was nothing personal Orio.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy both? Smile

Well... I can afford to pay $500-ish for a lens if I want to. But I think that Cameraquest i highly overpriced, especially when I saw that 90/3.5 go for $255 at the bay. And thats the reason I wont spend $200 more for a lens.
(Including shipping)

I'm not really in a hurry to buy one, so I might as well wait for another to show up, hopefully below $300. Or sooner or later I'll guess I have to cough up the money to Cameraquest. If it's still left in stock there. Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:
Why not buy both? Smile

Well... I can afford to pay $500-ish for a lens if I want to. But I think that Cameraquest i highly overpriced, especially when I saw that 90/3.5 go for $255 at the bay. And thats the reason I wont spend $200 more for a lens.
(Including shipping)

I'm not really in a hurry to buy one, so I might as well wait for another to show up, hopefully below $300. Or sooner or later I'll guess I have to cough up the money to Cameraquest. If it's still left in stock there. Razz

The 90/3.5 retailed for $550, and even in Japan, where they still have stock, the lowest price for a BNIB one is $360. The deal that I got was a super one, even by Japanese standards, and a hidden one to boot, because the camera shop I got it from don't list this their prices at Kakaku.com (Japanese version of Froogle.com or something similar). The Ebay one, was that for BNIB or used? Because my suggestion to you is if you find one BNIB for $350-ish, and you want this lens, you should get it, because it's discontinued, and soon, there won't be any BNIB versions left.

I purchased 5 copies from the shop in Tokyo. Now their stock is depleted (hehehe), and they will never get a restock because.. well, because they can't Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

The 90/3.5 retailed for $550, and even in Japan, where they still have stock, the lowest price for a BNIB one is $360. The deal that I got was a super one, even by Japanese standards, and a hidden one to boot, because the camera shop I got it from don't list this their prices at Kakaku.com (Japanese version of Froogle.com or something similar). The Ebay one, was that for BNIB or used? Because my suggestion to you is if you find one BNIB for $350-ish, and you want this lens, you should get it, because it's discontinued, and soon, there won't be any BNIB versions left.

I purchased 5 copies from the shop in Tokyo. Now their stock is depleted (hehehe), and they will never get a restock because.. well, because they can't Smile

It was used:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=260395778094" target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

Well, maybe I'll buy one from Camereaquest... But I'm not in a hurry yet. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There another one used being offered on the bay now, besided rawhead's BNIB listing. Click here to see on Ebay.

While very desirable, I will not play the game. There will be a mad rush for that one. If I ever get one, I will probably wait for an M42 copy.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
There another one used being offered on the bay now, besided rawhead's BNIB listing. Click here to see on Ebay.

While very desirable, I will not play the game. There will be a mad rush for that one. If I ever get one, I will probably wait for an M42 copy.

I've seen that one... But I'll try to awoid PK lenses as far as I can, because from what I've heard, they hit the mirror of the camera.

I'm not ready to shave the mirror just yet. Razz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:
bawang wrote:

I've seen that one... But I'll try to awoid PK lenses as far as I can, because from what I've heard, they hit the mirror of the camera.

I'm not ready to shave the mirror just yet. Razz

If you never need to use it on a Pentax or resell it, you can always shave the pin that gets in the way.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawhead,
I just want to thank you for the speedy delivery of the lens.

BTW, is it true that the PK mount will hit the mirror of 5DMkII with adapter?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:
Rawhead,
I just want to thank you for the speedy delivery of the lens.

BTW, is it true that the PK mount will hit the mirror of 5DMkII with adapter?

I don't have a PK-EF adapter so I can't check, but I think the aperture pin hits something (maybe not the mirror) in the 5D/MkII

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bummer... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:
That's bummer... Crying or Very sad

I got more info; apparentely it's supposed to be very easy to just remove the pin non-destructively, so unless you need/want to share it between a fullframe Canon and a Pentax body, you can just remove the pin, put it in safekeeping, and put the pin back if you need to resell it in the future.

Personally, I bought it for exclusive use on my K20D (and, soon, K-7); for my 5D, I've got the Zuiko 85/2, Nikkor 85/2, and 100/2.5, so I'm good Smile