Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

So, got the group-buy lenses today; voytek's is on its way, I'm meeting Bruce tomorrow for a handoff, and Paul from NY will get his shipped as soon as I get his money order Very Happy

Took a fairly long walk an hour before the sun set to snap some shots. Yes. I like it, just like what I saw, very sharp in-focus area, fantastic bokeh area. This is the first "new" lens I've purchased for my K20D in quite a while!! (OK, 4 months, but do you know how many used/manual lenses I've purchased in the mean time? Laughing)

Some samples; not the best, some of these shots (e.g., first flower one) was shot at 1/20s handheld (!!! Thanks, builti-in IS Very Happy ) due to rapid loss of daylight.

One personal drawback for me, which is shared among a couple other lenses around this focal distance range (Sonnar 135/3.5, Takumar 135/3.5), is that because I have a KatzEye split prism focus screen in my K20D, f3.5 will already start to cause slight blackout in the prism. I guess that's part of the tradeoff. All in all, very satisfying purchase, thanks in no smart part to the 3 other members that joined in the group buy, so thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lens that I'm going to buy later. I really, really want it!
Shots are beutiful.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the lighting on #2 Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely color.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens on nikon D70:

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Patrick - the word which actually leaps into my mind looking at them again and again is 'delicious' Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

One personal drawback for me, which is shared among a couple other lenses around this focal distance range (Sonnar 135/3.5, Takumar 135/3.5), is that because I have a KatzEye split prism focus screen in my K20D, f3.5 will already start to cause slight blackout in the prism. I guess that's part of the tradeoff. All in all, very satisfying purchase, thanks in no smart part to the 3 other members that joined in the group buy, so thanks!

I also have a Katzeye (with optibrite, but that doesn't affect the prisms only the matte) and don't get blackout or darkening with this lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

[quote="ChrisLilley"]
rawhead wrote:

I also have a Katzeye (with optibrite, but that doesn't affect the prisms only the matte) and don't get blackout or darkening with this lens.

It doesn't completely black out, mind you, but it starts to get dark, especially when the angle is bad.

Incidentally, do you wear glasses? I do, and so that may be part of the problem Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

Incidentally, do you wear glasses? I do, and so that may be part of the problem Smile

Yes, I do.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
rawhead wrote:

Yes, I do.

Hmmm, and your KatzEye prism doesn't go dark at all regardless of the angle you peer inside @ f3.5?? Yours must be a better KatzEye than mine Smile At f3.5, depending on the anlge I look in, one half of the prism will go almost completely dark. Of course, it's a rather extreme angle that I'd usually never find myself using, but it's enough to introduce noticeable fluctuations in brightness of one or the other half of the split prism to make it visually annoying for me. Nothing I couldn't live with, though Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
rawhead wrote:

Yes, I do.

Hmmm, and your KatzEye prism doesn't go dark at all regardless of the angle you peer inside @ f3.5?? Yours must be a better KatzEye than mine Smile At f3.5, depending on the anlge I look in, one half of the prism will go almost completely dark. Of course, it's a rather extreme angle that I'd usually never find myself using, but it's enough to introduce noticeable fluctuations in brightness of one or the other half of the split prism to make it visually annoying for me. Nothing I couldn't live with, though Smile

Did you see this thread?
http://forum.mflenses.com/set-of-contax-focusing-screens-t16915.html

I've tried my AL90SL with this new screen in and it's a winner.
The Center Microprism circle gets a bit darker only in low light.
It's a 100% winner. The screens are on ebay sometimes search contax.
It's like I finally can use my 5D Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Did you see this thread?

Oooh, very cool, will have to try this! My 5D currently has the screen I got from Alex, which is nice enough, but having a Contax screen in modern DSLR.... that's just SEXXXXAY! Smile Thanks for the info; bookmarked!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Same lens on nikon D70:

patrickh

Great job, great color, Patrick.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, but the lens makes even a "ham" look good Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to buy this lens in M42 mount?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:

http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

Look towards the bottom of the page. He has them in M42 and OM mount.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Swappo wrote:

http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

Look towards the bottom of the page. He has them in M42 and OM mount.

Anyone cheaper? I'm very angry because I missed a lens on ebay the other week, it went for $255 and I screwed up. Sad

I guess cameraquest are about the only ones that has those in stock... But with those prices it isn't hard to figure why. Razz
But sooner or later prices will rise and the will get them sold, with great profit. But I'm not that desperate... yet! Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
rawhead wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
rawhead wrote:

Yes, I do.

Did you see this thread?

Andy:
What model contax has this screen?

If you should happen to use an A/F confirm adapter will the red square still light and show?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron
It is the original RTS that I swiped the screen from.
Yes the AF confirm does blip as usual.
The center of the AF patern and the center of the micro prism area do not match up.
I can live with that. The VF is a joy to use now. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.
What I always used to use with my M/F film cameras was a split screen.
Is this a split screen. Sorry if this seems dumb.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Thank you rawhead, you are great. Perfect service. Fast. Lightning fast. I will write to you separately.
First shot. And now I will go practice.
Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar close focus 3.5/90 wide open

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for both of you! Another legend in your hands, great!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who would like a cheaper alternative to this lens, that is every inch as good... here's a Contax Sonnar 3.5/100 MM version, sharp as Zorro's blade:

Click here to see on Ebay

With this lens you could not tell wide open from stopped down if it wasn't for DOF.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Got it! Thank you rawhead, you are great. Perfect service. Fast. Lightning fast. I will write to you separately.
First shot. And now I will go practice.
Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar close focus 3.5/90 wide open

My pleasure, voytek Very Happy Now let us both enjoy this great lens!