Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar telephoto 135mm f2.8 m42 15 blade
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Vivitar telephoto 135mm f2.8 m42 15 blade Reply with quote

I have this Vivitar telephoto 135mm f2.8 m42 15 blade lens. I have not seen one like it before. Anybody have any info on it? The glass is clean but the rear part of the lens is loose. Still works but not sure how to tighten it down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that looks like one version of a (Tokyo Koki Tele-) Tokina 135mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Tokina. This one seems to have second set of aperture marking for use with a tele-converter. Maybe sold as a set?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar Vivitar, but 200mm. It's Tokina made and not a bad performer. Quite sharp stopped down but low contrast. The last is easy to fix in post processing.

televivitarDSC08317 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Last edited by caspert79 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just the rear element that's loose?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Is it just the rear element that's loose?

The rear element is tight. Just the rear sleeve that is in the back is loose. The m42 rear ring is tightened down by three screws. Those are secure. The sleeve it is attached to moves around freely. The blue inner sleeve it loose in image. The m42 mount screws tight to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the focus ring that's loose. Looks like it is missing a screw.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Where are you seeing that? I see screws in the all the screw holes pictured.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

All screws are tight. The inner sleeve is just loose. Also the focus ring is a little loose. All exterior screws are tight. Not sure how to stop the sleeve from rotating.

https://youtu.be/zxlwuWOefmQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose mount adapter. Tighten screws on the side of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Loose mount adapter. Tighten screws on the side of it.

Not sure where you mean. The three screws on the m42 ring are super tight and don't move at all. Just the sleeve it is attached to moves. As shown in the video link I posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar telephoto 135mm f2.8 m42 15 blade Reply with quote

pimpy1 wrote:
I have this Vivitar telephoto 135mm f2.8 m42 15 blade lens. I have not seen one like it before. Anybody have any info on it? The glass is clean but the rear part of the lens is loose. Still works but not sure how to tighten it down.

Your lens looks like mine. If it's the same...

1) Rotate the focus ring to minimum focus distance. On the focus ring, loosen the three screws several revolutions each - enough for the ring to separate from the inner focus ring (helicoid). You don't want the inner ring to rotate and possibly change the infinity focus.
You shouldn't need to actually remove the screws. It's easier to leave them in place.
2) Wiggle / rotate the focus ring until you can push it forward enough to expose three screws holding the depth of field scale.
3) Loosen the three screws on the depth of field scale piece and slide it off.
4) Now you can tighten the three screws which hold the mount in place.

In general, I wouldn't tighten any of these screws with all your strength. These old screws can be fragile so it's best to be as gentle as possible.
A drop of glue or clear nail polish might help to keep the screws from working loose. Or so I've read. I don't know how effective nail polish is.

And even before trying to work on screws, I usually heat them to try to loosen them a bit - with a hair dryer for example. Firm downward pressure with a snugly fitting screwdriver blade will help.

This 135mm is shown in late 1960s to early 1970s Vivitar brochures I have.
Here's some information from 1970:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info 55. I will try in the morning and get back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@55 Thanks. My lens was not exactly the same but very close. The upper hidden screws were what holds the inner sleeve from spinning. Tightening those did the trick. Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

You're welcome, pimpy1!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For heating a tight screw I use a soldering iron, it localises the heat, it's hotter, and I find it very effective. And nail polish is a good thread locker on small screws, much better suited than industrial stuff like Loctite which is great on big threads.