Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 in comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning about trying is an excellent advice in any case.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the series 1 started out as Vivitar's topend series and they had some exceptional lenses.
They had a good thing going but blew it when they tried to cash in on that reputation when they released a lot of sub par lenses under the series 1 nomer and quality control went overboard.

Mine is a Q-DOS type.
All pictures I shot with it were out of focus.
I had some trouble focussing on the NEX 5 rear screen.

Now that I have a NEX 7 I'll try again.

Having seen these results from Atilla I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-series-1-70-210mm-f28-f4-qdos-rare-3d-lens-t43011.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wish I could use this for other than close up, but is not to be until I purchase a NEX. Nevertheless, I took it out into the yard for some close up fun. Series 1 90/2.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Series 1 90/2.5

this lens alone should be reason enough to buy a NEX Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Series 1 90/2.5

this lens alone should be reason enough to buy a NEX Laughing

And it is. This lens is the single biggest reason for wanting a NEX, followed by my old Rokkor lenses and a couple of Konicas. This lens receives relatively little attention when folks discuss lenses in the 85mm range. While it is labeled as a 90mm, it is actually 87mm from what I've read. It typically runs more expensive than many of its peers, but less than the highly touted German 85mm glass. A little faster than some, and slower than others, but I look forward to making some comparisons to my other lenses in the range, especially the Hexanon 85/1.8 which is also awaiting a NEX. I expect its sharpness and bokeh to compare favorably.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent macro shots. Is there much copy variation with the 90mm? I might be tempted to try one despite my prior horrific Vivitar experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: I don't think this lens would perform well for you. And it's expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I look forward to making some comparisons to my other lenses in the range, especially the Hexanon 85/1.8 which is also awaiting a NEX. I expect its sharpness and bokeh to compare favorably.

I really like my 1.8/85 Hexanon, but use it very seldom. The Vivitar/Tokina 2.5/90 makes more fun on the NEX, using it with fokus peaking is much more joy.. it's like "click.. perfect focus!"

And the bokeh is just wonderful Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Ian: I don't think this lens would perform well for you. And it's expensive.

Why do you think that?