Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom Reply with quote

These are taken with my Fuji X-E2 and the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom at F8 , Pentax p/k mount. without processing.

F8 seems to be a sweet spot for this lens. faster F stops seem to glow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
Which version of the lens do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Looks good!
Which version of the lens do you have?

Says series 1, but how do I know what version it is?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm#samples

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something wrong with your lens, isn't too dirty inside ? I remember for no glow even at wide open, I had 22xx Kiron made I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have said these were all at max zoom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
These are taken with my Fuji X-E2 and the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom at F8 , Pentax p/k mount. without processing.

Hi, Roger.

I am hoping you will answer the question of "just which VS1 70-210/3.5 is it?", so that your thread is more useful.

Mir provided a link, but a slightly shorter URL, http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm , will work better.

Or, if you could at least pass on the first couple of digits of the serial number (probably 22 or 37), we can figure it out for ourselves.

Thanks for sharing the nice pix. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
vroger wrote:

Hi, Roger.

I am hoping you will answer the question of "just which VS1 70-210/3.5 is it?", so that your thread is more useful.

Mir provided a link, but a slightly shorter URL, http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm , will work better.

Or, if you could at least pass on the first couple of digits of the serial number (probably 22 or 37), we can figure it out for ourselves.

Thanks for sharing the nice pix. Smile

SN 37352391

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Tokina Version 2 lens which should be very good. I've got a slightly hazy Version 1 Kino lens that is good - but should be better but for the haze. And looking at the charts on the RobertsTech page the Tokina should be better. Looking at your pictures I think the lens looks OK, perhaps you need to try it with a tripod just to make sure? I think there is more sharpness to be found?
They are great lenses, but they are also big, heavy old things and not that easy to use. I much prefer my Series 1 / Komine 2.8 - 4 which is smaller and lighter, I think the 'usability' of the lens gives more consistent results, even if it doesn't have the stellar reputation of the 3.5 fixed aperture lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's a Tokina Version 2 lens which should be very good. I've got a slightly hazy Version 1 Kino lens that is good - but should be better but for the haze. And looking at the charts on the RobertsTech page the Tokina should be better. Looking at your pictures I think the lens looks OK, perhaps you need to try it with a tripod just to make sure? I think there is more sharpness to be found?
They are great lenses, but they are also big, heavy old things and not that easy to use. I much prefer my Series 1 / Komine 2.8 - 4 which is smaller and lighter, I think the 'usability' of the lens gives more consistent results, even if it doesn't have the stellar reputation of the 3.5 fixed aperture lenses.

Worth my $20 usd? Grin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth 20 bucks all day long..

I actually nearly bought a mint one a few weeks ago at the camera fair to replace my hazy one, but I resisted - it was £30 $45. At that cheap price It sold very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you having fun with this lens Roger.
There were several Series one manufacturers for Vivitar and it seems to be a consensus that the Cosina versions were not quite as good as the Kiron, Tokina and Komine types.
Your Tokina version should be a very good performer and I can see some of its potential in your shots.
I have long ago given up trying to hand-hold my lenses at any kind of magnification as I can't stay steady enough. So a tripod or a monopod is a must for me these days.
I have the Kiron version of this lens and it is heavy at any focal length Sad
Enjoy your lens and thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
There were several Series one manufacturers for Vivitar and it seems to be a consensus that the Cosina versions were not quite as good as the Kiron, Tokina and Komine types.

Does anyone really know where this "consensus" comes from? I have heard it a number of places that the first three versions, and especially the third, is/are to be the better/best of all the VS1 70-210's. However, while comments and images from users with the first three versions are relatively common, this is not so for the newer versions, and [it seems to me, but YMMV] that the newer versions are simply dismissed without much or even any evidence for that being the case. Can anyone point me to reviews of the 4th or later versions that show them to be inferior to the first 3 versions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Does anyone really know where this "consensus" comes from? I have heard it a number of places that the first three versions, and especially the third, is/are to be the better/best of all the VS1 70-210's. However, while comments and images from users with the first three versions are relatively common, this is not so for the newer versions, and [it seems to me, but YMMV] that the newer versions are simply dismissed without much or even any evidence for that being the case. Can anyone point me to reviews of the 4th or later versions that show them to be inferior to the first 3 versions?

Yes, it may have all started with the comments found here:
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm
followed up by commentary by other owners of the various types including the Cosina made models.
I don't know of any head to head tests, so these reports are based on anecdotal evidence and user experience.
Of course there has been discussion also about which of these is the best of the lot, but there doesn't seem to be a clear "winner" there.
There are numerous reports from owners of the first three, as well as lots of images to show that these can all be rather good.
I would be interested to see some images from the Cosina models so that I could at least compare them with my Kiron version.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Yes, it may have all started with the comments found here:
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm
followed up by commentary by other owners of the various types including the Cosina made models.
I don't know of any head to head tests, so these reports are based on anecdotal evidence and user experience.
Of course there has been discussion also about which of these is the best of the lot, but there doesn't seem to be a clear "winner" there.
There are numerous reports from owners of the first three, as well as lots of images to show that these can all be rather good.
I would be interested to see some images from the Cosina models so that I could at least compare them with my Kiron version.
OH

But, that's my point, OH. I am well aware of Mark Roberts' site and his own comments, and he does include the sharpness and contrast tests from ol' Modern Photo [RIP] to back up his claims for the first 3 versions, but what are the sources for the "commentary by other owners of the various types including the Cosina made models"?

Please do not mistake my criticism here -- I am ~not~ being critical of you, but I am being critical about (what seems to me) a lack of evidence on the Cosina versions, somehow seeming to result in the usual "the first three are good, while the rest not so good" statements that seem to have a life of their own (so to speak). Furthermore, I am not claiming that there necessarily are no reports on the newer versions -- I'm just trying to see them for myself.

Well, thanks for listening... Confused

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK.
If you have a look back over this forum, you will find many posts about these lenses - as well as lots and lots of discussion about them as well.
There are plenty of posts also of images taken using a variety of the lenses, although from memory, the most common were taken with the Kiron version and the Tokina version.
I am keen to see some Cosina made images and more of the Komine produced images as well.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Cosina lenses of that time frame were not very good, so if the Cosina verion of the S1 70-210 is not as good then it would just fit the pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the RobertsTech article set the basis for all future discussion, and created the ( possible ) myth of some lenses being better than others. Which is perfectly valid when the lenses are of the same specification but made by different manufacturers. But it's not really a valid criticism if the lenses are inherently different, it's comparing apples to oranges.

But of course, most of us have only one of these lenses, or maybe like myself one each of two distinct versions of the 70-210 Series 1. So it becomes a pointless comparison and we fall fall back on the myth that has been created by the Robertstech article and exploited on ebay and sales sites that boost the myth.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrific lens and the Robertstech article is very good and informative, but the mythology of the 70-210 Series 1 has taken on a life of its own, probably at the expense of the lenses in the range such as the Cosina ? Which as Ian points out, suffers from it's own reputation as a manufacturer of lenses. But I haven't got a Cosina version to see if it is 'reputation' or not that damns the Cosina.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed tricky to know what is what without having the lenses to compare. Cosina and Makinon tended to finish at the bottom of group tests in magazines in the late 70s/early 80s but the Vivitar S1 made by Cosina could well be much better than the average Cosina product as it was made to the specifications of the client rather than Cosina itself.

Some of the last Series 1 lenses like the 100-400 zoom were made by Cosina and were pretty poor lenses, so that has probably coloured people's views on all Cosina made Vivitars and that might be unfair.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i won this on evilbay for £9.95:

could you please tell me which version/manufacturer is that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehand wrote:
Hello, i won this on evilbay for £9.95:

could you please tell me which version/manufacturer is that?

This is the version made by Kiron/Kino and should be quite good in use.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Oldhand. I am waiting for an adapter to test it. For me as a newbie to the MF lenses, the zoom mechanism of this lens is very unusual Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehand wrote:
Thanks, Oldhand. I am waiting for an adapter to test it. For me as a newbie to the MF lenses, the zoom mechanism of this lens is very unusual Smile

Yes, the push pull of the zoom is pretty straightforward.
The Macro can only be engaged at the 210mm setting by pushing the white button and rotating the two macro grips until the macro words line up.
It should be quite sharp at this macro setting.
A very good lens all round in fact.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if the lens came with a filter on it, that appears as if it needs a good cleaning (or, maybe it's not coated well or something). In any event, I'd suggest removing it for your initial tests (merely to fairly judge just the lens). [And, if I'm wrong in my assumption, please feel free to ignore - (grin).]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lens came with a filter and the original cylinder box. The softening material inside the box is destroyed and spread everywhere. I cleaned it and found that the lens is in excellent condition. Everything works smooth, no dust or fungus. The rear cap and the filter saved the glass Smile