Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Yes but do not forget that before the last POOR quality cosina batch (100/400 - 28/210...) :cosina lenses were MAINLY ok : ie 100/500 cosina made Vivitar S1 lens is a very good lens (optically and mechanically ..i have the cosina version)

I'm the happy owner of a Cosina 100-500mm f/5.6-8 lens. The results I got with it were quite the surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all outdone by the Tamron 19ah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
And all outdone by the Tamron 19ah.

The very words I think to myself when reviewing the work of HCB...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old Henry Carter Brown Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several of the first 4 versions. 3 Kiron, 1 Tokina, 2 Komine and one Cosina.

The Kirons were really great lens but too heavy. Now don't get me wrong as I carry a Sigma 50-500 Bigma on all day walkabouts but for the focal range the Kiron has it is too heavy.

The Komines wer lighter and both were A lenses so I liked that shooting with my Pentax cameras. They were selling for so much more than I paid for them so I let them go.

I could never get sharp photos with the Cosina version. Always soft no matter the setting. I usually shoot hand held but to give this lens a fair test I tried tripod with mirror lockup and the full range of aperture settings. Still too soft.

The second or Tokina version I have kept and use still. I started life as a Contax/Yashika mount lens that I modified to fit my Pentax cameras. It is lighter than versions 1 and 3 and it is f/3.5 aperture through the whole zoom range but it does much better at f/8-f/11.