Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 Macro Focuing Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK.
If you have a look back over this forum, you will find many posts about these lenses - as well as lots and lots of discussion about them as well.
There are plenty of posts also of images taken using a variety of the lenses, although from memory, the most common were taken with the Kiron version and the Tokina version.
I am keen to see some Cosina made images and more of the Komine produced images as well.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Cosina lenses of that time frame were not very good, so if the Cosina verion of the S1 70-210 is not as good then it would just fit the pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the RobertsTech article set the basis for all future discussion, and created the ( possible ) myth of some lenses being better than others. Which is perfectly valid when the lenses are of the same specification but made by different manufacturers. But it's not really a valid criticism if the lenses are inherently different, it's comparing apples to oranges.

But of course, most of us have only one of these lenses, or maybe like myself one each of two distinct versions of the 70-210 Series 1. So it becomes a pointless comparison and we fall fall back on the myth that has been created by the Robertstech article and exploited on ebay and sales sites that boost the myth.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrific lens and the Robertstech article is very good and informative, but the mythology of the 70-210 Series 1 has taken on a life of its own, probably at the expense of the lenses in the range such as the Cosina ? Which as Ian points out, suffers from it's own reputation as a manufacturer of lenses. But I haven't got a Cosina version to see if it is 'reputation' or not that damns the Cosina.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed tricky to know what is what without having the lenses to compare. Cosina and Makinon tended to finish at the bottom of group tests in magazines in the late 70s/early 80s but the Vivitar S1 made by Cosina could well be much better than the average Cosina product as it was made to the specifications of the client rather than Cosina itself.

Some of the last Series 1 lenses like the 100-400 zoom were made by Cosina and were pretty poor lenses, so that has probably coloured people's views on all Cosina made Vivitars and that might be unfair.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i won this on evilbay for £9.95:

could you please tell me which version/manufacturer is that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehand wrote:
Hello, i won this on evilbay for £9.95:

could you please tell me which version/manufacturer is that?

This is the version made by Kiron/Kino and should be quite good in use.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Oldhand. I am waiting for an adapter to test it. For me as a newbie to the MF lenses, the zoom mechanism of this lens is very unusual Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehand wrote:
Thanks, Oldhand. I am waiting for an adapter to test it. For me as a newbie to the MF lenses, the zoom mechanism of this lens is very unusual Smile

Yes, the push pull of the zoom is pretty straightforward.
The Macro can only be engaged at the 210mm setting by pushing the white button and rotating the two macro grips until the macro words line up.
It should be quite sharp at this macro setting.
A very good lens all round in fact.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if the lens came with a filter on it, that appears as if it needs a good cleaning (or, maybe it's not coated well or something). In any event, I'd suggest removing it for your initial tests (merely to fairly judge just the lens). [And, if I'm wrong in my assumption, please feel free to ignore - (grin).]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lens came with a filter and the original cylinder box. The softening material inside the box is destroyed and spread everywhere. I cleaned it and found that the lens is in excellent condition. Everything works smooth, no dust or fungus. The rear cap and the filter saved the glass Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehand wrote:
Yes, lens came with a filter and the original cylinder box. The softening material inside the box is destroyed and spread everywhere. I cleaned it and found that the lens is in excellent condition. Everything works smooth, no dust or fungus. The rear cap and the filter saved the glass Smile

Excellent !!!

Now, set your time machine for, say, 1972 or so, and go...

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kiron version of this lens in Nikon mount and love the results with the D700.

I also have a minty Cosina version (58mm filter thread variation) in Canon FD mount that I can't test Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the kiron and komine versions. My kiron version came with an original user manual. This is what is says about the macro:

Switching into macro mode - see pic :
[ol]
[li]Slide the zoom focus ring towards the mount to the 210mm position.[/li]
[li]press the selector switch lock button and turn the macro selector switch counter-clockwise.[/li]
[/ol]

The macro mode works by:
"...moving elements that change the position of the optical centre of the lens. As you slide the zoom ring away from the camera body (towards the 70mm end of the zoom movement), the lens-to-film distance increases allowing you to achieve a higher magnification. As you slide it towards the camera body, the lens-to-film distance is reduced and the magnification decreased.
For optimum results in macro operation, turn the zoom focus ring to the right so that the macro focus reference mark is opposite the macro index line.
If your picture does not require a fixed magnification, slide the zoom focus ring .. until the subject is in focus. If you wish a larger image size move the camera+lens closer to your subject...
" - user manual.

The following table provides magnification information at the various positions along the lens barrel and is indexed in terms of the focal length scale for easy reference.

[table][tr][td]lens set at macro mode: [/td][td] working distance [/td][td] magnification[/td]
[tr][td] 70mm [/td][td] 77.5mm [/td][td] 1:2.2 [/td]
[tr][td]85mm [/td][td] 210mm [/td][td] 1: 3.5 [/td]
[tr][td]105mm [/td][td] 620mm [/td][td] 1:6.5[/td]
[tr][td]135mm [/td][td] 1.5m [/td][td] 1:11 [/td]

I had the tokina version a couple of years ago but found it rather prone to purple fringing, then I started getting adatptall lenses and sold it.

I think there is quite a lot of natural variation with these old zooms. My kiron Viv (broadly) matches the resolution of my komine Viv and tamron 19AH at long focal lengths but lags at 70mm. Its contrast isn't as good either.

I have other lenses that have similar macro modes: the early tamron adaptall 85-210mm and 80-250mm zoms, and a recently acquired quite interesting tokina RMC 70-210mm f3.5. Tokina marketed the same lens as the Vivitar series one as a tokina RMC but this isn't it. My guess is that this 2 ring zoom is an earlier version. Rather a clunky beast but quite sharp stopped down, I'll post some pics as and when..
UPDATE:Attila: why doesn't bbcode work here?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It is indeed tricky to know what is what without having the lenses to compare. Cosina and Makinon tended to finish at the bottom of group tests in magazines in the late 70s/early 80s but the Vivitar S1 made by Cosina could well be much better than the average Cosina product as it was made to the specifications of the client rather than Cosina itself..

You are 100% right

Cosina manufacture 1st or last grade quality lens depending on name/quality/price wanted or required: do not forget that cosina made/still making a lot of Zeiss lenses
They are able to made 1st grade quality lenses opposite to Makinon which NEVER did 1st grade lenses

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Some of the last Series 1 lenses like the 100-400 zoom were made by Cosina and were pretty poor lenses, so that has probably coloured people's views on all Cosina made Vivitars and that might be unfair.

Yes but do not forget that before the last POOR quality cosina batch (100/400 - 28/210...) :cosina lenses were MAINLY ok : ie 100/500 cosina made Vivitar S1 lens is a very good lens (optically and mechanically ..i have the cosina version)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I saw that monster 100-500 badged Vivitar for sale locally recently and ignored it as I recognised it as a Cosina and thought it was most likely similar in quality to the 100-400. I might have to pop back and see if they still have it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Yes but do not forget that before the last POOR quality cosina batch (100/400 - 28/210...) :cosina lenses were MAINLY ok : ie 100/500 cosina made Vivitar S1 lens is a very good lens (optically and mechanically ..i have the cosina version)

I'm the happy owner of a Cosina 100-500mm f/5.6-8 lens. The results I got with it were quite the surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all outdone by the Tamron 19ah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
And all outdone by the Tamron 19ah.

The very words I think to myself when reviewing the work of HCB...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old Henry Carter Brown Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several of the first 4 versions. 3 Kiron, 1 Tokina, 2 Komine and one Cosina.

The Kirons were really great lens but too heavy. Now don't get me wrong as I carry a Sigma 50-500 Bigma on all day walkabouts but for the focal range the Kiron has it is too heavy.

The Komines wer lighter and both were A lenses so I liked that shooting with my Pentax cameras. They were selling for so much more than I paid for them so I let them go.

I could never get sharp photos with the Cosina version. Always soft no matter the setting. I usually shoot hand held but to give this lens a fair test I tried tripod with mirror lockup and the full range of aperture settings. Still too soft.

The second or Tokina version I have kept and use still. I started life as a Contax/Yashika mount lens that I modified to fit my Pentax cameras. It is lighter than versions 1 and 3 and it is f/3.5 aperture through the whole zoom range but it does much better at f/8-f/11.