Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

Another prize from the Adolph Gasser (181 Second Street, San Francisco) bargain bin -

I am very late to the parade on this of course, but I've simply never tried a Vivitar Series 1 lens of any sort. This one is the second version of the famous 70-210 series of high quality zooms of the late 1970s, the Tokina-made one from maybe 1978 (First was Kiron, third was Komine).

Much more information on Mark Roberts site -

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Nice writeup from Hin Man

http://www.techtheman.com/2008/09/vivitar-series-1-70-210mm-f35-tokina-v2.html

I saw this in the Gassers bargain bin for all of $5, dirty and not guaranteed to work. But it looked great to me, it was in PK by great good luck, and, lo and behold, there was nothing seriously wrong at all and it cleaned up to nearly mint condition. Even came with the original Series 1 lenscap!

This must be the iconic one-touch zoom lens, so much so that everything eventually looked like this, more or less, for a decade. Or, well, the first one did, this being the second version of the line.

Compared to later types this is a heavy, bulky lens for its specification though it was the smallest and lightest of the "good" Vivitar Series 1's. All metal of course, finished in a deep glossy enamel as all good lenses were. There is nothing plastic in this. Everything feels solid, the aperture mechanism is crisp, has intermediate stops except between 3.5-5.6 (which is a bit annoying), nice focus helical feel, and amazingly for a two-touch zoom it doesnt creep - imagine that!

Minimum focus is a typical four feet or so, which is definitely not macro but is certainly close-up enough for me at 210mm on APS-C. Constant aperture is very helpful for metering under Pentax "green button" constraints - you can zoom in to "spot meter" and zoom out again.

Performance - I really, really like this. It is sharp and contrasty as a good prime under most conditions. It does an excellent job at 210mm (see SF Bay Bridge crop), it is even better at 70mm, and can definitely be used close-up (see the Chinese ivory warrior below), albeit notwide open. Close up wide open it becomes an entirely different lens - if you want soft and dreamy, well, here it is. Close up bokeh is also interesting, try it on flowers. Its perfect for seagulls too.

Samples mostly at f/5.6 some at f/3.5. Most everything at 210mm with obvious exceptions.

The Bridge -

Crop -

The Bird -

Crop -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lens that deserves is great reputation, it must have been revolutionary back in the day, in any of it's many versions.
I like the Tokina you have a lot, but much prefer my other one which is a Komine 70-210 f2.8 - 4, it's a bit smaller and lighter and very good at 2.8. when we go on vacation this is my long lens of choice for my A6000. I don't think there's a bad S1 70-210, and everyone should own one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
... I've simply never tried a Vivitar Series 1 lens of any sort.

Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
... I've simply never tried a Vivitar Series 1 lens of any sort.

Shocked

Laugh 1

Agree, all three of the S-1 70-210mm are excellent, and some say the 4th Cosina version isn't all that far behind either.

Those seeking out the 2nd Tokina S-1, be diligent about haze in the mid elements.
Tokina seemed to have had design defects in their coating process or formula, as there are various branded lenses made by them, plagued by it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:

Those seeking out the 2nd Tokina S-1, be diligent about haze in the mid elements.
Tokina seemed to have had design defects in their coating process or formula, as there are various branded lenses made by them, plagued by it.

... like my recently acquired AT-X 35-200mm Sad
Anyone have any info on disassembly?

I made a mistook with my Tok VS1, it had a spot or two of fungus on the front elements. Thought I needed to loosen three set screws at the front end to access for cleaning - DAAAAA! Now the infinity focus adjustment is a bit haywire. No sign of haze though.
I also had trouble with a sticky iris with the komine VS1, but using boggy's notes fixed that - see here . I have desultorily been taking some comparison pics with the 3 versions (kino, tokina, komine), and also with the 2 tamron SP 70-210mm's (19AH, 52A) for comparison. There are distinctions, 52A is noticeably the coolest colours for example, but the simplest thing to say is that they are all good lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those Vivitar zooms. Have the Kiron version in Nikon mount and looking for longer to find one in PK-A version of this one.

If you find one let me know Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
I love those Vivitar zooms. Have the Kiron version in Nikon mount and looking for longer to find one in PK-A version of this one. If you find one let me know Like Dog

The first of the VS1 70-210's in Ka-mount trim is V3 (Komine), which were first available in K-mount and later in Ka-mount. V1 (Kiron) and V2 (Tokina) were sold before the Pentax Ka era.

Code:

VS1 70-210/3.5   - V.1  - (Kiron)  - SN 22nnnnnn - (67mm) - m42, K

VS1 70-210/3.5   - V.2  - (Tokina) - SN 37nnnnnn - (62mm) - m42, K

VS1 70-210/2.8-4 - V.3  - (Komine) - SN 28nnnnnn - (62mm) - m42, K, Ka

VS1 70-210/2.8-4 - V.4a - (Cosina) - SN 09nnnnnn - (58mm) - Ka

VS1 70-210/2.8-4 - V.4b - (Cosina) - SN       nn - (58mm) - Ka

VS1 70-210/2.8-4 - V.5  - (Cosina) - SN 09nnnnnn - (58mm) - Ka

VS1 70-210/2.8-4 - V.6  - (Cosina) - SN 09nnnnnn - (62mm) - Ka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I like the Tokina you have a lot, but much prefer my other one which is a Komine 70-210 f2.8 - 4, it's a bit smaller and lighter and very good at 2.8.

Well, V3 (Komine) K-mount lenses weigh a hefty 855g, while V2 (Tokina) K-mount lenses weigh only about 720g. Only the V1 (Kiron) and V4b (Cosina Vivitar 50th Anniversary) K-mounts are heavier than the V3 model.

Lloydy wrote:
I don't think there's a bad S1 70-210, and everyone should own one.

Agreed Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes I know that Komine version first have pk-a... That's what I am looking for, V3 Komine VMC. I just simply misinterpret my self saying that I am looking for Kiron version. Sorry.

Last edited by RAART on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Agree, all three of the S-1 70-210mm are excellent, and some say the 4th Cosina version isn't all that far behind either.

There are, of course, six versions of VS1 70-210 MF zooms, although Cosina made the 4th through the 6th versions. [The often-quoted http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm page is incomplete.]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Those seeking out the 2nd Tokina S-1, be diligent about haze in the mid elements. Tokina seemed to have had design defects in their coating process or formula, as there are various branded lenses made by them, plagued by it.

I'm not saying this is not true, but I do have to say, of all the Tokina lenses I now have or have previously owned (second only in number among 3rd-party lenses to the Vivitar lenses I've owned), I've never had a Tokina with such an issue.

[Phew!] Wink

EDIT: This also includes Tokina's own "RMC Tokina" version of the V2 (Tokina) VS1 70-210/3.5, as well.

Last edited by fwcetus on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Oh, yes I know that Komine version first have pk-a... That's what I am looking for, V3 Komine VMC. I just simply misinterpret my self saying that I am looking for Kiron version. Sorry.

Understood. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Tokina version Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Samples mostly at f/5.6 some at f/3.5. Most everything at 210mm with obvious exceptions.

VERY nice sample pix. Were these shot with that Pentax LX in your first pic and then scanned, or were they shot with a Pentax DSLR ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax K30 DSLR - 16Mp
I will use my LX again at some point. I have been intending to.