Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 600mm Solid Catadioptric f/8 Lens..the lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 600mm Solid Catadioptric f/8 Lens..the lens Reply with quote

The lens and a comparison in size between the Sigma 50-500 and the Vivitar 600mm long focus lens....anyway here it and they are.

Code:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really looks nice...a great buy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice indeed. I can see it just clears the flash of your Pentax camera. A deep hood is a must for those (plenty on eBay; I bought what was called an extension tube, 12cm long and it has filter threads on the front so that accessories can be stacked).

Who made this lens? The 44 in the s/n is not very common.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It really looks nice...a great buy!

Thanks Moira.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Looks very nice indeed. I can see it just clears the flash of your Pentax camera. A deep hood is a must for those (plenty on eBay; I bought what was called an extension tube, 12cm long and it has filter threads on the front so that accessories can be stacked).

Who made this lens? The 44 in the s/n is not very common.

That is one of my non-functioning K10D's. On the K7 there is a lot more clearance. It came with a hood shown in one of the photos but not a deep one. This lens was made in the US by Perkin-Elmer. They also ground the optics for the Hubble Space Telescope for NASA. They Originally made this type lens for the US military thus the Solid glass construction without any space between the elements.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

That is one of my non-functioning K10D's.

I'm surprised it fits at all. It must be a bit smaller than the 800mm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
A deep hood is a must for those (plenty on eBay;

The included hood is good enough - this lens is not as vulnerable to flare as you may think. But I'd be interested if you know a place that makes large hoods or particularly caps - I need a 106mm cap and I wasn't able to find one.

BTW, BigDawg - what is the filter size of this 600mm? The lens cap should have it marked on the interior.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solid cats had a 35.5mm rear mount filter set (red,yellow,ND4,and UV)sold with the lens,they should be in the case your for your 800mm.

Congratulations BD!....looks like a very nice copy....these do take some getting used to hand-held,but you did quite well right out of the gate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
The solid cats had a 35.5mm rear mount filter set (red,yellow,ND4,and UV)sold with the lens,they should be in the case your for your 800mm.

Sorry for the confusion - I was asking about the front filter thread - just curious how wide the front of the 600mm is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

The included hood is good enough - this lens is not as vulnerable to flare as you may think. But I'd be interested if you know a place that makes large hoods or particularly caps - I need a 106mm cap and I wasn't able to find one.

Me neither; I was looking for a 116mm cap as far as I remember (for Rubinar 1000mm/f10). By luck, I was able to discover the original hood, but caps are a different story. Maybe I'll make a push-on cap out of a plastic cap used for food cans.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

That is one of my non-functioning K10D's.

I'm surprised it fits at all. It must be a bit smaller than the 800mm.

It is a bit smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
A deep hood is a must for those (plenty on eBay;

BTW, BigDawg - what is the filter size of this 600mm? The lens cap should have it marked on the interior.

106mm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:

Congratulations BD!....looks like a very nice copy....these do take some getting used to hand-held,but you did quite well right out of the gate!

Thanks Boomer. Mine came with 4 filters but I shot most of those without one. Couldn't really see the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it look purple in #2 and #3? o.O

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Why does it look purple in #2 and #3? o.O

Several types of indoor lighting at work at the same time. It does have a tiny amount of dark purplish sheen on the lens shade but it only shows up when in certain light. I normally shoot the lens photos in natural daylight as it gets the color of the lens body in more correct color that way but I shot these at night with the overhead lights as the primary light source.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

106mm.

Same as the 800 then. The difference in shape must be at the back - the rear of the 800 is closer to the mount and prevents mounting the lens on the K10D.

Big Dawg wrote:

Thanks Boomer. Mine came with 4 filters but I shot most of those without one. Couldn't really see the difference.

The lens manual for my 800 recommends to always use a filter because the lens was designed to use one. The filter is also supposed to be of a certain thickness. I've never done comparisons to check what difference the filter may make, but I keep the UV filter on.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

106mm.

Same as the 800 then. The difference in shape must be at the back - the rear of the 800 is closer to the mount and prevents mounting the lens on the K10D.

Big Dawg wrote:

The lens manual for my 800 recommends to always use a filter because the lens was designed to use one. The filter is also supposed to be of a certain thickness. I've never done comparisons to check what difference the filter may make, but I keep the UV filter on.

It had the UV on it and after I removed it the view from the viewfinder was a bit brighter. When the sun comes back out I'll try some stationary shots and compare with close crops of the same setup