Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8 advertisement
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8 advertisement Reply with quote

Saw this recently on FB, I think it was in the Olympus OM users group.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this ad, Edgar.
It's timely for me as I've recently been curious about the Series 1 35-85mm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first Vivitar S1 lenses I bought was the 24 48 / 3.8 which I used my Pentax K10 almost continuously and still use on my A7II, I love it. On the strength of that I jumped at the chance of buying the 35 85 / 2.8. And I was super disappointed... I soon sold it on.
And obviously forgot about it, because 6 months after selling it - I bought another one! Which was also sold on very rapidly. Rolling Eyes

Note to self, make a list of the lenses I sell. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
. . .
And I was super disappointed... I soon sold it on.

What did you dislike about the 35-85?
Was there anything you did like?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one a few years ago, just to have in my collection. I knew it was gonna be soft going in, but I didn't care. It's an historic design.

I've only used it a couple of times. Yes, it tends to be soft, especially wide open, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Stopped down, my 35-85 produced reasonably good shots. Not up to the caliber of my S1 28-90, but then I wasn't expecting it to be.

So if you're aware of the lens's shortcomings before you buy it, you won't be disappointed. Besides, it's worth the spot in any significant manual lens collection -- especially manual zooms.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information, cooltouch!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing about this lens worth noting: there were available a hood and front cap (neither of which are shown in the above ad) that were unique to this lens. Extra points for you if you get the hood and cap with the lens. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
. . .
Extra points for you if you get the hood and cap with the lens. Cool

That's good to know. Thanks.
It's certainly been difficult to find a matching front cap for my Series 1 28mm f/1.9.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 35mm f/1.9 has a slip on metal cap. I'm pretty sure it's original.

Some pics for y'all.

The S1 35-85 with hood and front cap:

And the 35mm f/1.9, showing the cap. Note that my 35mm is an early one with the ribbed metal barrel. Is this the only style?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need your help with one of my issues I have been facing so far. I have a photography blog. I need a content writer who can write contents for me on a daily basis. I would like to hire someone online https://studyclerk.com/nursing-papers-for-sale Is this source reliable? Please let me know your reply. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
And the 35mm f/1.9, showing the cap. Note that my 35mm is an early one with the ribbed metal barrel. Is this the only style?

No Michael, mine is a later version I think:-