Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5: Some snapshots...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
I'd say the Vivitar 1 28-90 is radioactive, based on the tantalum high refractive front element into the lens, just like other lenses from the 70-80s time table.

I'd say you might be wrong Wink

Tantalum is NOT radiactive. Did you mean Thorium (which was used for lenses from the 1940s until early 1970s)?

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting all sentimental, reading through this thread again, so I thought I'd upload a couple of more old slide images.

Taken east of Bakersfiled, CA, on the way to the Kern River Canyon. There's agriculture everywhere around Bakersfield. These are orange groves. Canon A-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64.

Point Vicente Light House on the Palos Verdes Penninsula in the Los Angeles area. Canon F-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64.

Old fellow reading Canon F-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64.

Santa Barbara Pier at sunrise. Canon A-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Michael

Very nice image. I too, purchased my first S-1 28-90 as soon as they were introduced. It quickly became my favorite and "go to" lens. Over the decades, I've burned hundreds or thousands of Kodachrome and Velvia slides through it. I still use it today. I snapped the attached image (Ghostwind) with this lens, hand-held. I had it Drum scanned for greeting card and publication purposes. The Drum scan file is huge. When I first viewed the scan, I was amazed at how much detail this lens picked up. In the scan or large prints, you can see incredibly small and fine detail. The large prints are commonly mistaken for medium format size. If you've never Drum scanned a slide, I highly recommend it. It's a whole new world. I see things and details in the Drum scans, that I don't see when glassing (light table and 10x loupe) the slides and negs.

Just for the hell of it, I attached a second snap (African Shag) that I shot with the Vivitar Series 1, 70-210 glass (second edition-Tokina made, Vivitar design).

I sent CheekyGeek, links to where he can procure the perfect lens hood-shade for the Viv S-1 28-90 glass.

How did I miss these images.
Utterly sublime - congratulations on their quality.

I agree that this lens is one of the greats.
Here is one of my shots with it.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog
Very nice, gentlemen!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
doomed-forever wrote:
I'd say the Vivitar 1 28-90 is radioactive, based on the tantalum high refractive front element into the lens, just like other lenses from the 70-80s time table.

I'd say you might be wrong Wink

Tantalum is NOT radiactive. Did you mean Thorium (which was used for lenses from the 1940s until early 1970s)?

Stephan

Alright, perhaps you're right Stephan. No i didn't meant Thorium. Wink But we do have also for decales Tantalum capacitors, which aren't
radioactive, so thanks for clearing things up.

Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a vivitar series 1 28-90 C/Y mount for $40, I was originally looking for the VEB Jenazoom 28-105 or 28-85 or maybe something similar, this thread convinced me it would be worth taking a chance on it, so thanks for posting pics and opinions.
It's condition seems quite good, but dust is an issue due to it not having caps, so I will be cleaning it soon.