Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5: Some snapshots...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Package arrived today from Finland! (at least a day earlier than my earliest estimate). It is in wonderful shape, with only minimal cosmetic signs of use. Most surprised by the short focus throw (barely over 90 degrees, from infinity to closest focus). I am delighted to find this lens in the PK/A mount, which seems to be pretty scarce (the main reason I was happy to pay the reasonable economy shipping to the U.S. from Finland).

EDIT: I found this lens on Pentax Forums marketplace, but I just realized that the previous owner is a member of this forum and had it listed in this marketplace as well! Thanks Oula!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuate the aperture mechanism a few times. Are the apertures blades opening and closing quickly and properly?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my S1 28-90mm (nikon mount) brand new in the early 80's. I have just recently pulled it out of the box where it has been stored for 20+ years.

The glass and body still look perfect, and I have taken photos with it attached to my 5DmkII but the diaphram will not close on its own when you stop down the aperture ring, you have to remove the lens and push the little tab on the rear of the lens, although it will pop back open when you open the aperture ring

So is this a lens that is worth "having repaired", or is it more of a 'try to do it yourself and throw it away if it doesn't work afterwards.

regards,

--mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matchboxx wrote:
I bought my S1 28-90mm (nikon mount) brand new in the early 80's. I have just recently pulled it out of the box where it has been stored for 20+ years.

The glass and body still look perfect, and I have taken photos with it attached to my 5DmkII but the diaphram will not close on its own when you stop down the aperture ring, you have to remove the lens and push the little tab on the rear of the lens, although it will pop back open when you open the aperture ring

So is this a lens that is worth "having repaired", or is it more of a 'try to do it yourself and throw it away if it doesn't work afterwards.

regards,

--mitch

Yes, it is worth having repaired. A very good lens. Over time, the lubricant (animal based back in those days) has broken down, and migrated onto the aperture blades or mechanism. If you have it repaired (not a major undertaking), they'll replace it with todays modern synthetic lubricants, which are much more stable and impervious to atmoshpheric contitions (heat, age, etc). How does the glass look? No lubricant gassing or hazing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does the glass look? No lubricant gassing or hazing?

Thanks Russ, the glass looks great, lens looks as good now as it did when I used it regularly in the 80's

Guess I'll look at getting it serviced, I'm sure if I take it apart, I'll end up wth extra parts Embarassed

Regards,

--mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matchboxx wrote:
Quote:
How does the glass look? No lubricant gassing or hazing?

Thanks Russ, the glass looks great, lens looks as good now as it did when I used it regularly in the 80's

Guess I'll look at getting it serviced, I'm sure if I take it apart, I'll end up wth extra parts Embarassed

Regards,

--mitch

Mitch

Remove both lens caps, open it up to f/2.8 and shine a light through it or hold up against a strong light source. While looking through it, does the glass appear clean, no haziness or fogging? If it appears clean, great. If it has a bit of fogginess (lubricant gassing) to it, that too can be cleaned up while it is apart. This is one of those lenses that is worth the time, effort or monetary expenditure to restore to pristine working condition. It's a beauty. I've burned hundreds or thousands of frames through mine, and it is still my favorite of all lenses. I've even shot entire weddings and events with this lens alone.

Fuji Neopan 400CN film. Straight scan from negative. No post processing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught up on things to the point that I'm finally ready to send this lens to Ralph Innes for an oil change/clean-up.
I've now got a Pentax K-5 and I'm dying to see what this lens can do on it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8orbust wrote:
Here's a couple of pictures I took this afternoon with the Viv S1 28-105

Hope you can read them - not the best copies

Phil

Phil

Is there any way that you can high res scan that page on the Vivitar 28-105 and post it?

Thanks
Russ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russ

I can fax, or photocopy and post. I don't have a scanner but my son does. I'll see if he can come up with a legible copy...or..........

I also have some other Vivitar leaflets and lens instruction manuals that you might be interested in. If you promise to send them back I will quite happily bundle them all up and post to you - FOC

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8orbust wrote:
Hi Russ

I can fax, or photocopy and post. I don't have a scanner but my son does. I'll see if he can come up with a legible copy...or..........

I also have some other Vivitar leaflets and lens instruction manuals that you might be interested in. If you promise to send them back I will quite happily bundle them all up and post to you - FOC

Phil

Phil

Anything that you send me, I will take the utmost care of, scan and return to you.

Thanks
Russ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russ

I have a feeling it's your fault that I have so many Vivitar lenses. Mr QLP on the Cult Lens megasite? Kiron Kid?

Normally I wouldn't enter into a personal conversation here but as it is a Vivitar thread hopefully some other readers will find some of this interesting. Apologies to others.

Russ. I have:

Instruction Manual S1 28-105 (Cosina)
Instruction Manual S1 70-210 v3
Instruction leaflet Macro Converter (Kiron)
A4 4 page leaflet Vivitar Auto Fixed Mount lenses (1980's) 8 lenses
A4 4 page leaflet Vivitar Series 1 lenses (1980's) 4 lenses including 28-90 and 70-210 v3
A4 4 page leaflet Vivitar Series 1 lenses and Binocs (1980's) including 28-105 and 70-210 v4
Camera Weekly Test S1 28-105
Camera Weekly Test 70-210 v3 They rated it as pretty average. Idiots
Camera Weekly Magazine including a test of the S1 70-210 v4. They loved it!. Idiots?
Which Lens supplement Summer 1987. 100 pages of Zoom lens reviews available at the time. LBA Bible!
Which Lens supplement Winter 1988. 100 pages of Zooms. Ditto
Which Camera Supplement Summer 1986. Pages in the back for prices of all lenses available at the time

I also have a 70-210 QDOS tucked away somewhere with all the bits. I can't include it now but if you need Instruction Manual etc let me know. This is really a 70-210 v4 Cosina with bits added on but if the Camera Weekly Review is anything to go by maybe I should use it more often!

I'm sure you have some of these. If so let me know and we can lighten the postage

Finally if you would like to email your address to me at work we can continue in private if you wish

PM sent

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8orbust wrote:
Hi Russ

I have a feeling it's your fault that I have so many Vivitar lenses. Mr QLP on the Cult Lens megasite? Kiron Kid?

Normally I wouldn't enter into a personal conversation here but as it is a Vivitar thread hopefully some other readers will find some of this interesting. Apologies to others.

Russ. I have:

Instruction Manual S1 28-105 (Cosina)
Instruction Manual S1 70-210 v3
Instruction leaflet Macro Converter (Kiron)
A4 4 page leaflet Vivitar Auto Fixed Mount lenses (1980's) 8 lenses
A4 4 page leaflet Vivitar Series 1 lenses (1980's) 4 lenses including 28-90 and 70-210 v3
A4 4 page leaflet Vivitar Series 1 lenses and Binocs (1980's) including 28-105 and 70-210 v4
Camera Weekly Test S1 28-105
Camera Weekly Test 70-210 v3 They rated it as pretty average. Idiots
Camera Weekly Magazine including a test of the S1 70-210 v4. They loved it!. Idiots?
Which Lens supplement Summer 1987. 100 pages of Zoom lens reviews available at the time. LBA Bible!
Which Lens supplement Winter 1988. 100 pages of Zooms. Ditto
Which Camera Supplement Summer 1986. Pages in the back for prices of all lenses available at the time

I also have a 70-210 QDOS tucked away somewhere with all the bits. I can't include it now but if you need Instruction Manual etc let me know. This is really a 70-210 v4 Cosina with bits added on but if the Camera Weekly Review is anything to go by maybe I should use it more often!

I'm sure you have some of these. If so let me know and we can lighten the postage

Finally if you would like to email your address to me at work we can continue in private if you wish

PM sent

Phil

Phil,

Guilty as charged. Yes QLP and Kiron Kid are one in the same. Am I forgiven? Smile I sent you a personal message through this group.. I don't know why, but as of late, I've been doing a lot of B/W street shooting with the Kiron 24mm f/2 and Panagor (early Kiron) 24mm f/2.5 lenses. I slap a deep yellow filter on them and snap away. They are quite fun and easy to shoot with. I'm finding it difficult to find lens reviews and test results on the Panagor lenses Sad The few Panagor lenses that I have, appear to be very capable performers.

Panagor 21mm

Panagor 24mm

Thanks
Russ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a happy boy today I just picked up a near mint, cased, copy of that Viv' S1 today for £10 at the local camera fair. The sun is shining, I'm off to try it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I'm a happy boy today I just picked up a near mint, cased, copy of that Viv' S1 today for £10 at the local camera fair. The sun is shining, I'm off to try it! Very Happy

Nice one!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lens was in a box of crap under a table at the camera fair, in it's unmarked case. I held it up and asked the price, paid the money and ran! I knew it was good, the seller didn't.

I think I'm going to like this lens, it is Canon breechlock which I hate - but so is my Komine S1 70-210, what a great walkabout pair of lenses.
Here's a few pictures from its first outing, all untouched except for the church pic' which has had some levels. All shot wide, not fully wide open - maybe f3 to f4. ISO500 and hand held on a Sony A6000.
They all need some levels / contrast, but that's me rather than the lens. Once I get used to it this will be a well used lens. Cool

There is sharpness in this lens, I didn't quite nail it here though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 and #2 for me.... looks like your gonna like this one !

Great find, congrats !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite lens. Still using the one that I purchased in the early 80's when they came out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

This must have been what it looked like when Vivitar's headquarters were struck by the big Southern California earthquake in the early 1990s!

Nice collection, I have many but not all of the same lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens. Does anybody know if 90$ is a good price for a Vivitar in very good shape with Nikon AI(?) mount?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semaca wrote:
Nice lens. Does anybody know if 90$ is a good price for a Vivitar in very good shape with Nikon AI(?) mount?

Sounds about right - a bit on the higher side but the good ones sell for up to this amount.
You might find one cheaper (and good ones have sold for less) but if you know that this lens is excellent, it would be a fair price.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
semaca wrote:

...You might find one cheaper...

Not after this thread they won't !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures from today, I'm loving this lens already. The one touch is OK, I do prefer a two ring lens but I don't hate one touch so much I wont use them - I have plenty. The close focus is superb, on the Sony A6000 - Canon FD Adapter - I can get the subject about 50mm from the front of the lens. I rarely shoot wide open, these pictures are all f3 - 4 and maybe 5.6. I have PP'd them as well, but not much.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: On the way Reply with quote

I have one that will be here tomorrow. I got it for next-to-nothing with a Nikon FE attached.