Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5: Some snapshots...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

Don't despair. I have just been through my archive pictures and the 28-90 seems to have the 'Takumar' look that the 28-105 doesn't. It's a Komine after all......... For comparison, in the same length (ish) Japanese Jenazoom 35-135 (which I also have...made under licence fron VEB) also scored above the Tammy in anotheer review and came second to the 28-105. I don't think so in practice.

I have been weaning off all zooms the past few years. Takumars fault.

The full pixel lens test image was fine....downsizing it for this website ruined it.

I don't trust reviews anyway. Much prefer this website

Here' s a 28-90

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Viv Series 1 28-90's were made by Komine. It's a very good lens. My all-time favorite. Vivitar also marketed two versions of a 28-105. The non-Series 1 version was made by Kobori. The Series 1 version was made by Cosina. Both of them are adequate, but not up to the quality of the Series 1 28-90 or the Kiron 28-105.

Vivitar Series 1 28-90

Vivitar (Kobori) 28-105

Kiron 28-105

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this completely dismisses what now already sounds like a myth about the Tamron SP 35-80 being legendary. I am beggining to think that this Vivitar S1 is actually THE real deal only less popular...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these images were taken with the Vivitar (first 20 or so)

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Camera-CANON-F-1-new/8057726_dmznF#595624368_qqSnY

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Wow this completely dismisses what now already sounds like a myth about the Tamron SP 35-80 being legendary. I am beggining to think that this Vivitar S1 is actually THE real deal only less popular...

Well I have the SP 35-80 01a and 35-70mm 09a and they are also good zooms, but don't get carried away and sell off all your expensive razor sharp primes and replace with zooms Wink ....Forums like this point to the best/better zooms out of many, for people who want to use a zoom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few of my Series 1 28-90 slides, Drum scanned. And I'm amazed at the detail that lens picked up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur

+10

But zooms are so useful!! (And very often cheap)

To put the cat amongst the pi Wink geons I think too many people take the adaptall website as gospel without trying other makes. I'm sure we would all like to have one zoom that could almost/actually give the same IQ as a bag of primes and the best way to find one is to discuss them here.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of all-in-one zooms. Typically either the distortion is awful or the lens is very slow. It's always just made a lot more sense to me to carry two zooms, instead: one wide angle to short tele, and one short tele to long tele. I'd rather deal with the extra weight and a bit of added inconvenience in order to have the improved photo quality.

For several years, when I wanted to carry a minimal 35mm kit, it was my Canon F-1 with a Vivitar S1 28-90 and a Tamron SP 60-300. Those two lenses would cover just about every situation I came across, and did a very good job, too.

There are various opinions to be had about the Tamron 60-300, mostly having to do with CA when using it with a DSLR. Well, I was shooting film back in those days (recently, too, far as that goes), and I can show you 100% crops of wide open shots taken at shiny stuff in broad daylight using slide film, and they'll show you very minimal CA and essentially no flare. Anyway, regarding flare, that's what the hood's for.

I never owned one, except as a dealer, but the S1 70-210, in its various versions (I prefer the first two), also makes a good partner to the S1 28-90. As many folks here will attest, the S1 70-210 is an outstanding zoom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm shooting with a manual focus rig, I always grab my Viv S-1 28-90. If auto-focus, I go with my Tamron SP 24-135. Those lenses can cover about 95% of my shooting needs. Love my Viv S-1 70-210 glass too.

Left to right:
Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Komine model), f/2.8-4
Kiron 70-210. f/4 with Zoom-lock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I never owned one, except as a dealer, but the S1 70-210, in its various versions (I prefer the first two), also makes a good partner to the S1 28-90. As many folks here will attest, the S1 70-210 is an outstanding zoom.

I have what I dub the "Series 2" version of the S1 70-210; it's now 75-205mm f3.8. The optical construction is the same as the first version of the 70-210 (both Kiron made), save for a downsized front element. Anyway, it is indeed a nice performer (esp. stopped down).

Speaking of "Series 2" versions, look what I just saw on ebay:
Click here to see on Ebay
This looks just like the S1 28-90, except the specs have been downgraded slightly (28-85, f2.8-3.8 ). Interestingly though, it is made by Kiron, not Komine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That eBay item isn't available anymore. But I know which Kiron you're talking about, and yes it does look a lot like the 28-90. In fact, back before I knew about all the different manufacturers for Vivitar, I had assumed that Kiron built the 28-90, especially since the two lenses looked so similar.

Here's another link to one:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
That eBay item isn't available anymore. But I know which Kiron you're talking about, and yes it does look a lot like the 28-90. In fact, back before I knew about all the different manufacturers for Vivitar, I had assumed that Kiron built the 28-90, especially since the two lenses looked so similar.

Here's another link to one:

ALL vivitar S1 28/90 + 28/105 were base on a Opcon design that was Vivitar ownership
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/RE32923.pdf

The viv S1 28/90 was built by Komine
The viv S1 28/105 was mainly built by Cosina but some where built by Kiron
The Kiron 28/85 seems to be the same that the S1 28/90
Based on the same design : the Kiron 30/80 and 28/105

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacTak wrote:
Now I'm really itching to try out my S1 28-90mm (PK-A; I think rather less were made with the A setting, as opposed to the PK. I suspect they were made later too, as the PK-A ones have the red ring). I will say it feels very solid and well built.

Someone will need to explain what the "red ring" means on Vivitar Series 1 lenses.

My 28-90mm is somewhere between Finland and Nebraska at the moment. I expect it between the 19th and the 26th of this month. Mine is a Komine PK/A but does not have the red ring. (interesting that the red ring is in the 1984 ad on Pg 2 of this discussion where the lens is described as "new". Serial number is Komine like mine, however.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ovim/5833640100/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ovim/5833085179/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ovim/5833084905/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I'm curious to use this with my K-x (where it will be the equiv. of a 42-135mm) but it will probably be my main film lens for my Super Program.

(This discussion has strayed substantially from the lens in the subject line, hasn't it?) Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Someone will need to explain what the "red ring" means on Vivitar Series 1 lenses.

My 28-90mm is somewhere between Finland and Nebraska at the moment. I expect it between the 19th and the 26th of this month. Mine is a Komine PK/A but does not have the red ring: "

The Red Ring means nothing. It's just a cosmetic feature that Vivitar slapped on it around the mid 80's. All of the superb Vivitar Series 1 28-90 lenses were made by Komine. It's my all-time favorite lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ! "All Time Favorite Lens"??? You are making it harder and harder to wait for the mailman.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeky

Yes, my all time favorite lens. Published many a snap with it. You want a resource where you can obtain a nice lens shade for it? Vivitar never made a dedicated lens shade for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much in agreement with Russ. I bought my first one in Canon FD mount back in about 1984 I guess it was. It was soon my favorite walking around lens, and I've probably taken more great photos with it than with any other lens I own.

In fact, here's the shot I used to create my avatar with. Sailboat off Manhattan Beach Pier at sunset. Canon F-1, Vivitar S1 28-90mm, Kodachrome 64.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

Very nice image. I too, purchased my first S-1 28-90 as soon as they were introduced. It quickly became my favorite and "go to" lens. Over the decades, I've burned hundreds or thousands of Kodachrome and Velvia slides through it. I still use it today. I snapped the attached image (Ghostwind) with this lens, hand-held. I had it Drum scanned for greeting card and publication purposes. The Drum scan file is huge. When I first viewed the scan, I was amazed at how much detail this lens picked up. In the scan or large prints, you can see incredibly small and fine detail. The large prints are commonly mistaken for medium format size. If you've never Drum scanned a slide, I highly recommend it. It's a whole new world. I see things and details in the Drum scans, that I don't see when glassing (light table and 10x loupe) the slides and negs.

Just for the hell of it, I attached a second snap (African Shag) that I shot with the Vivitar Series 1, 70-210 glass (second edition-Tokina made, Vivitar design).

I sent CheekyGeek, links to where he can procure the perfect lens hood-shade for the Viv S-1 28-90 glass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots, gentlemen. Thanks for sharing them.

I don't know how I could possibly be more excited to get this lens than I am now. For some reason that old Carly Simon song "Anticipation" is going through my mind now...
Confused

Darren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Excellent shots, gentlemen. Thanks for sharing them.

I don't know how I could possibly be more excited to get this lens than I am now. For some reason that old Carly Simon song "Anticipation" is going through my mind now...
Confused

Darren

As I said before, the first thing you do, is check it to make sure there is no lubricant on the aperture blades. If, there is, contact me. I think that you'll be VERY pleased with this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Package arrived today from Finland! (at least a day earlier than my earliest estimate). It is in wonderful shape, with only minimal cosmetic signs of use. Most surprised by the short focus throw (barely over 90 degrees, from infinity to closest focus). I am delighted to find this lens in the PK/A mount, which seems to be pretty scarce (the main reason I was happy to pay the reasonable economy shipping to the U.S. from Finland).

EDIT: I found this lens on Pentax Forums marketplace, but I just realized that the previous owner is a member of this forum and had it listed in this marketplace as well! Thanks Oula!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuate the aperture mechanism a few times. Are the apertures blades opening and closing quickly and properly?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my S1 28-90mm (nikon mount) brand new in the early 80's. I have just recently pulled it out of the box where it has been stored for 20+ years.

The glass and body still look perfect, and I have taken photos with it attached to my 5DmkII but the diaphram will not close on its own when you stop down the aperture ring, you have to remove the lens and push the little tab on the rear of the lens, although it will pop back open when you open the aperture ring

So is this a lens that is worth "having repaired", or is it more of a 'try to do it yourself and throw it away if it doesn't work afterwards.

regards,

--mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matchboxx wrote:
I bought my S1 28-90mm (nikon mount) brand new in the early 80's. I have just recently pulled it out of the box where it has been stored for 20+ years.

The glass and body still look perfect, and I have taken photos with it attached to my 5DmkII but the diaphram will not close on its own when you stop down the aperture ring, you have to remove the lens and push the little tab on the rear of the lens, although it will pop back open when you open the aperture ring

So is this a lens that is worth "having repaired", or is it more of a 'try to do it yourself and throw it away if it doesn't work afterwards.

regards,

--mitch

Yes, it is worth having repaired. A very good lens. Over time, the lubricant (animal based back in those days) has broken down, and migrated onto the aperture blades or mechanism. If you have it repaired (not a major undertaking), they'll replace it with todays modern synthetic lubricants, which are much more stable and impervious to atmoshpheric contitions (heat, age, etc). How does the glass look? No lubricant gassing or hazing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does the glass look? No lubricant gassing or hazing?

Thanks Russ, the glass looks great, lens looks as good now as it did when I used it regularly in the 80's

Guess I'll look at getting it serviced, I'm sure if I take it apart, I'll end up wth extra parts Embarassed

Regards,

--mitch